XMMS is back? - Slackware

  2. Re: XMMS is back?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 02:53:37 -0400, disturbed1 wrote:

    >> Anybody know what's the latest in the on again/off again
    >> relationship between PV and the XMMS group? Last I heard, PV dropped
    >> XMMS because XMMS said that they had dropped support for Slackware
    >> because they couldn't get it to compile or something like that.

    I don't know the details, but there was a gap of 1211 days between the
    release of xmms 1.2.10 and 1.2.11, with most of the original team going
    on to work on xmms2 (which is completely different design and code) and
    everybody else and their dog creating a fork of xmms (BMP, audacious etc).

  3. Re: XMMS is back?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 02:37:47 GMT
    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    From the xmms web page -

    Bye Bye Slackware!

    XMMS has been removed from the Slackware distribution.

    Thu Mar 15 19:43:10 CDT 2007

    xap/xmms-1.2.10-i486-3.tgz: XMMS developers: THANK YOU for your years
    of dedication. We look forward to considering a new GTK+2 based design
    some time in the future. (Package removed).

    No, thank YOU for keeping a clean and tidy version of XMMS around
    without a gazillion insane patches. We will always love you! It's
    unlikely we will cross paths again, but we've enjoyed the lack of
    support cases the Slackware distribution has caused us. Much love <3 <3
    <3.

    Mar 18, 2007
    Thomas Nilsson (thomas at xmms.org)

  4. Re: XMMS is back?

    It was 04:37, sabato 13 settembre 2008, and A Guy Called Tyketto, in message
    <%HFyk.149$D32.92@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com> wrote:
    > Last I heard, PV dropped
    > XMMS because XMMS said that they had dropped support for Slackware
    > because they couldn't get it to compile or something like that.

    that was pidgin AFAIR.

    ilSimo
    --
    now playing:

    Shall we dare the dragon
    Merciless he's poisoning our hearts
    Our hearts

    Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror

  5. Re: XMMS is back?

  6. Re: XMMS is back?

    On 2008-09-13, A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    > Here's a little excerpt from:
    > http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/WhyPackagesExist
    > "We have no developers using Slack, and furthermore, several of us
    > actively dislike that distribution for its history of broken installs, as
    > well as for its non-existant package management. You cannot create true
    > packages for Slack."

    A fuller quote reveals a slightly different story:

    #v+
    We have no developers using Slackware, and we do not provide support for
    end users due to a history of users with problems caused (or made
    difficult to debug) by the fact that its package system does not support
    automatic dependency resolution. We recommend that users use the
    packages provided by the Slackware team instead of compiling from
    source. If you insist on trying this out yourself, the only advice we
    can give you is to ask for help in ##slackware on irc.freenode.org, or
    on the Slackware mailing lists.
    #v-

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air your breathing now?

  7. Re: XMMS is back?

    On 2008-09-14, disturbed1 wrote:

    > They (pidgin) changed the page
    >
    > xap/pidgin-2.0.0-i486-2.tgz: Here's a little excerpt from:
    > http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/WhyPackagesExist
    > "We have no developers using Slack, and furthermore, several of us
    > actively dislike that distribution for its history of broken installs,
    > as well as for its non-existant package management. You cannot create
    > true packages for Slack."
    > Well, I'm somewhat shocked by this, having never (to my knowledge)
    > done anything to any of the former GAIM or Pidgin developers to make
    > them mad at me, Slackware, or anyone on the Slackware team. I guess if
    > they feel it's not possible to make a "true" Pidgin package for
    > Slackware, there's no point in continuing to try. Having put out 7
    > security advisories on GAIM, I'm quite sure there will be less work
    > here if Pidgin is not included. The Pidgin package has been moved to
    > the "unsupported" directory. For the record, I do not actively dislike
    > Pidgin or any of their developers, but I do plan to use Kopete from now
    > on.
    >
    > Is a direct copy and paste from
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt
    > About half way down the page.

    OIC, my apologies.In fact the Pidgin people have obviously toned down
    their rhetoric a little. I wonder if their was an exchange of emails
    that we will never see?

    Andrew

    --
    Do you think that's air your breathing now?

  8. Re: XMMS is back?

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 07:50:04 +1000
    andrew wrote:

    > On 2008-09-13, A Guy Called Tyketto
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Here's a little excerpt from:
    > > http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/WhyPackagesExist
    > > "We have no developers using Slack, and furthermore, several of
    > > us actively dislike that distribution for its history of broken
    > > installs, as well as for its non-existant package management. You
    > > cannot create true packages for Slack."

    > A fuller quote reveals a slightly different story:
    >
    > #v+
    > We have no developers using Slackware, and we do not provide support
    > for end users due to a history of users with problems caused (or made
    > difficult to debug) by the fact that its package system does not
    > support automatic dependency resolution. We recommend that users use
    > the packages provided by the Slackware team instead of compiling from
    > source. If you insist on trying this out yourself, the only advice we
    > can give you is to ask for help in ##slackware on irc.freenode.org, or
    > on the Slackware mailing lists.
    > #v-
    >
    > Andrew

    They (pidgin) changed the page

    xap/pidgin-2.0.0-i486-2.tgz: Here's a little excerpt from:
    http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/WhyPackagesExist
    "We have no developers using Slack, and furthermore, several of us
    actively dislike that distribution for its history of broken installs,
    as well as for its non-existant package management. You cannot create
    true packages for Slack."
    Well, I'm somewhat shocked by this, having never (to my knowledge)
    done anything to any of the former GAIM or Pidgin developers to make
    them mad at me, Slackware, or anyone on the Slackware team. I guess if
    they feel it's not possible to make a "true" Pidgin package for
    Slackware, there's no point in continuing to try. Having put out 7
    security advisories on GAIM, I'm quite sure there will be less work
    here if Pidgin is not included. The Pidgin package has been moved to
    the "unsupported" directory. For the record, I do not actively dislike
    Pidgin or any of their developers, but I do plan to use Kopete from now
    on.

    Is a direct copy and paste from
    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt
    About half way down the page.

  9. Re: XMMS is back?

    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
    > Anybody know what's the latest in the on again/off again
    > relationship between PV and the XMMS group? Last I heard, PV dropped
    > XMMS because XMMS said that they had dropped support for Slackware
    > because they couldn't get it to compile or something like that.

    IMHO there was a plan to replace XMMS with audacious, but anyone who
    ever tried to listen to web radio with a slower web connection knows
    that audacious is *no* replacement.

    Audacious seems to be written mostly single-threaded. On my computer
    audacious sometimes hangs for about one minute(!) until it finally
    starts to play web radio. It just wastes too much time to check all the
    stations in the playlist. And it takes forever, again, as soon as my
    connection gets too busy and audacious has to rebuffer. Actions like
    connecting to a station or switch between stations usually hang the
    whole audacious GUI.

    I really hope that XMMS2 will get a great audio player and a good
    replacement for the old XMMS.

    CU

    Manuel

+ Reply to Thread