stupid crap I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out - Slackware

This is a discussion on stupid crap I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out - Slackware ; Her's some more stuff to put into the book, things I've not found over the years yet continue to kill me. Heres's what set off this rant. As user, notbob: notbob ~> irssi ** (process:3824): CRITICAL **: config_node_find: assertion is_node_list(node)' ...

  1. stupid crap I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out

    Her's some more stuff to put into the book, things I've not found over the
    years yet continue to kill me.

    Heres's what set off this rant. As user, notbob:

    notbob ~> irssi
    ** (process:3824): CRITICAL **: config_node_find: assertion
    is_node_list(node)' failed

    irssi has worked for mos, since I installed 12.1. Now, nada! Maybe the
    lightening bolt that killed power for miles around, but only for a few
    seconds. did it. This seems to be the only prob I've found, so far. Still
    works for su. Why su and not me, notbob? So that brings up next question:
    Where is the primary executable?

    notbob ~> whereis irssi
    irssi: /usr/bin/irssi /etc/irssi.conf /usr/lib/irssi /usr/X11R6/bin/irssi
    /usr/bin/X11/irssi /usr/X11/bin/irssi /usr/include/irssi /usr/share/irssi
    /usr/man/man1/irssi.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1/irssi.1.gz
    /usr/X11/man/man1/irssi.1.gz

    Whis one is the primary exec? /usr/bin? /usr/X11R6/bin?...etc?

    ....and which executable is working for su and not me?

    Let's say I want to remove a slack pkg and reinstall. Where are the main
    pkgs? I'm betting in /usr/include/. Is this correct? I changed to su and
    went to /usr/include/ and did pkgtool and all pkgs came up and I unloaded
    irssi. Looks good. Must be it. But, why the discrepancy between irssi
    exec by su and me?

    So, one other really dumb question. How do I figure out where a particular
    variable is set? I know some. Like I set the $NNTP variable from my bash
    shell, but the ones I don't know, how can I learn where they are set? I can
    see them all with the set command, but don't know where they are determined
    so I can go in and at least try to alter/change them if need be. This would
    be a really good one for the book.

    nb

  2. Re: stupid crap I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 02:23:59 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > Her's some more stuff to put into the book, things I've not found over
    > the years yet continue to kill me.
    >
    > Heres's what set off this rant. As user, notbob:
    >
    > notbob ~> irssi
    > ** (process:3824): CRITICAL **: config_node_find: assertion
    > is_node_list(node)' failed
    >
    > irssi has worked for mos, since I installed 12.1. Now, nada! Maybe the
    > lightening bolt that killed power for miles around, but only for a few
    > seconds. did it. This seems to be the only prob I've found, so far.
    > Still works for su. Why su and not me, notbob? So that brings up next
    > question: Where is the primary executable?

    My guess as to why it worked for su and not for you is that something has
    changed your $PATH (but not root's $PATH), so that it no longer includes
    /usr/bin. Hmmmm.... now that I wrote that, this would have also broken
    many (or all) other applications as well. Maybe that's not it. It could
    be that the permissions on the irssi binary got changed to root, perhaps.

    > notbob ~> whereis irssi
    > irssi: /usr/bin/irssi /etc/irssi.conf /usr/lib/irssi
    > /usr/X11R6/bin/irssi /usr/bin/X11/irssi /usr/X11/bin/irssi
    > /usr/include/irssi /usr/share/irssi /usr/man/man1/irssi.1.gz
    > /usr/share/man/man1/irssi.1.gz /usr/X11/man/man1/irssi.1.gz
    >
    > Whis one is the primary exec? /usr/bin? /usr/X11R6/bin?...etc?

    danc@moria:~$ which irssi
    /usr/bin/irssi

    danc@moria:~$ type irssi
    irssi is /usr/bin/irssi

    > Let's say I want to remove a slack pkg and reinstall. Where are the
    > main pkgs? I'm betting in /usr/include/. Is this correct? I changed
    > to su and went to /usr/include/ and did pkgtool and all pkgs came up and
    > I unloaded irssi. Looks good. Must be it. But, why the discrepancy
    > between irssi exec by su and me?

    I'm not sure what you mean by the "main pkgs"... To remove it I would
    have just done "removepkg irssi" (as root).

    > So, one other really dumb question. How do I figure out where a
    > particular variable is set? I know some. Like I set the $NNTP variable
    > from my bash shell, but the ones I don't know, how can I learn where
    > they are set? I can see them all with the set command, but don't know
    > where they are determined so I can go in and at least try to
    > alter/change them if need be. This would be a really good one for the
    > book.

    Many of them are set in /etc/profile, and others are set by the scripts in
    /etc/profile.d. A brute-force method to find them might be something like
    "grep *" while in the /etc directory.

  3. Re: stupid crap I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out

    On 2008-09-13, Dan C wrote:

    > Many of them are set in /etc/profile, and others are set by the scripts in
    > /etc/profile.d. A brute-force method to find them might be something like
    > "grep *" while in the /etc directory.

    Might be a good time to catch up on my find cmd skills. Thnx for the
    feedback, Dan.

    nb

  4. Re: stupid crap I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 02:23:59 +0000, notbob spewed forth:

    > Whis one is the primary exec? /usr/bin? /usr/X11R6/bin?...etc?

    I use "which":

    steve@sundog:~$ which irssi
    /usr/bin/irssi

    > ...and which executable is working for su and not me?

    run the above as root:

    steve@sundog:~$ su -
    Password:
    root@sundog:~# which irssi
    /usr/bin/irssi
    root@sundog:~#

    HTH

  5. Re: stupid crap I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out

    notbob wrote:

    > On 2008-09-13, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Many of them are set in /etc/profile, and others are set by the scripts
    >> in
    >> /etc/profile.d. A brute-force method to find them might be something
    >> like "grep *" while in the /etc directory.

    > Might be a good time to catch up on my find cmd skills. Thnx for the
    > feedback, Dan.
    >
    > nb

    #!/bin/bash
    # This lists files in the current directory (and below) containing
    # a string entered on the command line
    # Usage: bill@witch:~$ getlist
    find . -type f | xargs grep -i -H $1

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  6. Re: stupid crap I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out

    Old Man wrote:

    > #!/bin/bash
    > # This lists files in the current directory (and below) containing
    > # a string entered on the command line
    > # Usage: bill@witch:~$ getlist
    > find . -type f | xargs grep -i -H $1

    Sorta like "grep -rli ." then? (but without the extra waste
    of "find ... |xargs", I mean ...)

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  7. Re: stupid crap I'm too dumb/lazy to figure out

    Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > Old Man wrote:
    >
    >> #!/bin/bash
    >> # This lists files in the current directory (and below) containing
    >> # a string entered on the command line
    >> # Usage: bill@witch:~$ getlist
    >> find . -type f | xargs grep -i -H $1

    > Sorta like "grep -rli ." then? (but without the extra waste
    > of "find ... |xargs", I mean ...)

    Yeah, sorta like that.

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to Thread