    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Wireless thoughts

    On 2008-09-11, Peter Chant wrote:

    > What do people do? Does everyone use wireless routers? I suppose that is a
    > way to go, preferably with one that supports OpenWRT.

    I do. The WRT54GL from Linksys specifically supports OpenWRT. The
    WRT54GS looks well-supported too.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: Wireless thoughts

    On 2008-09-11, Peter Chant wrote:
    > Thought I'd use my Slack 12.1 box as an access point using an edimax wifi
    > card. When it failed I found that few wifi cards support acting as access
    > points. Of the ones I do I did not manage to find anyone selling them.
    >
    > What do people do? Does everyone use wireless routers? I suppose that is a
    > way to go, preferably with one that supports OpenWRT. However, I was
    > trying to cut down on the number of small boxes I seem to end up with.

    SMC has a PCI card with an atheros chipset that works fine as an AP,
    even with WPA if desired. I don't recall the model name off hand
    (it's at work), but if you don't find it online (I think it's their
    only PCI model), let me know.

    -RW

  4. Re: Wireless thoughts

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2008-09-11, Peter Chant wrote:
    >> Thought I'd use my Slack 12.1 box as an access point using an edimax wifi
    >> card. When it failed I found that few wifi cards support acting as
    >> access
    >> points. Of the ones I do I did not manage to find anyone selling them.
    >>
    >> What do people do? Does everyone use wireless routers? I suppose that
    >> is a
    >> way to go, preferably with one that supports OpenWRT. However, I was
    >> trying to cut down on the number of small boxes I seem to end up with.

    > SMC has a PCI card with an atheros chipset that works fine as an AP,
    > even with WPA if desired. I don't recall the model name off hand
    > (it's at work), but if you don't find it online (I think it's their
    > only PCI model), let me know.
    >
    > -RW

    Robbie,

    thanks. It's not a common card in the UK, infact the one I ordered via
    Amazon came from Germany in the end. Unfortunately I'm having a devil of a
    job getting it working, what config do you use?

    Unfortunately your statement about only one model is incorrect. There
    appear to be at least two models, one (which you refererred to using the
    Atheros chipset and one using either Ralink or Realtek. Not sure if people
    are confusing the last two or there are three variants.

    Anyway I have a SMCWPCI-G2 EU

    Neither the ath5k (from the kernel), madwifi ath_pci (0.9.4 from downloading
    and building) Realtek or Ralink (both from kernel) modules seem to do
    anything.

    modprobing the drivers does nothing whereas the Edimax card near enough
    worked out of the box, albeit not as an access point.

    lspci -v gives:

    00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Unknown device 001d
    (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Accton Technology Corporation Unknown device b203
    Memory at e2010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Kernel modules: ath_pci

    This looks to me like a third variant. Thoughts?

    Looks like the router was the way to go... All I want to do is connect the
    wifi on my eee to something!

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  5. Re: Wireless thoughts

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Neither the ath5k (from the kernel), madwifi ath_pci (0.9.4 from downloading
    > and building) Realtek or Ralink (both from kernel) modules seem to do
    > anything.

    > This looks to me like a third variant. Thoughts?
    >
    > Looks like the router was the way to go... All I want to do is connect the
    > wifi on my eee to something!

    try this one

    Index of
    /csnook/atl2 Welcome to my atl2 driver page. If you're looking for a
    driver for the Atheros L2 (also known as Attansic L2, before Atheros
    /acquired Attansic), you're in theright place.

    cu Frank

    --
    Never Regret
    If it's good - it's wonderful

  6. Re: Wireless thoughts

  7. Re: Wireless thoughts

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:00:50 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Anyway I have a SMCWPCI-G2 EU
    >
    > Neither the ath5k (from the kernel), madwifi ath_pci (0.9.4 from
    > downloading and building) Realtek or Ralink (both from kernel) modules
    > seem to do anything.
    >
    > modprobing the drivers does nothing whereas the Edimax card near enough
    > worked out of the box, albeit not as an access point.
    >
    > lspci -v gives:
    >
    > 00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Unknown device
    > 001d (rev 01)
    > Subsystem: Accton Technology Corporation Unknown device b203
    > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5 Memory at
    > e2010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K] Capabilities:
    > [44] Power Management version 2 Kernel modules: ath_pci
    >
    > This looks to me like a third variant. Thoughts?

    Does the box say anything about "wireless-N" perhaps? Because if so, you
    need to try the ath9k driver.

    Most Atheros cards work well with most Linux distros. Eventually. Slack
    requires a little more patience in this regard, what with the standard
    install having no madwifi and no ndiswrapper. By the time Slack 12.2
    comes out (one hopes) the ath5k and ath9k will both be stable and in the
    kernel tree.

  8. Re: Wireless thoughts

    Peter Chant writes:

    > Thought I'd use my Slack 12.1 box as an access point using an edimax wifi
    > card. When it failed I found that few wifi cards support acting as access
    > points. Of the ones I do I did not manage to find anyone selling them.
    >
    > What do people do? Does everyone use wireless routers? I suppose that is a
    > way to go, preferably with one that supports OpenWRT. However, I was
    > trying to cut down on the number of small boxes I seem to end up with.
    >
    > Pete
    >

    > --
    > http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    I use a Netgear WPN311, works great. I use it with the madwifi
    (http://www.madwifi.org/) driver, and hostapd
    (http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/) for WPA2 security. I have even
    created a Slackware 12.1 package of hostapd, which I have submitted to
    www.linuxpackages.net, or you can get it directly here:

    http://nic-nac-project.org/~lwedding...-i486-2lrw.tgz

    --
    Leigh Wedding
    leigh.wedding@telstra.DELETE-this.com

  9. Re: Wireless thoughts

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > Does the box say anything about "wireless-N" perhaps? Because if so, you
    > need to try the ath9k driver.

    "802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter"

    Also SMC seem to be fairly obvious in their models names:

    SMCWPCI-G2 EU

    > Most Atheros cards work well with most Linux distros. Eventually. Slack
    > requires a little more patience in this regard, what with the standard
    > install having no madwifi and no ndiswrapper. By the time Slack 12.2
    > comes out (one hopes) the ath5k and ath9k will both be stable and in the
    > kernel tree.

    Think ath5k is already there in 2.6.26.5, don't think i patched it.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  10. Re: Wireless thoughts

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Also SMC seem to be fairly obvious in their models names:
    >
    > SMCWPCI-G2 EU

    ^^^^

    Except for the Bwhaha - we changed the chip set bit!

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  11. Re: Wireless thoughts

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:16:54 +1000, Leigh Wedding wrote:

    > Peter Chant writes:
    >
    >> Thought I'd use my Slack 12.1 box as an access point using an edimax
    >> wifi card. When it failed I found that few wifi cards support acting
    >> as access points. Of the ones I do I did not manage to find anyone
    >> selling them.
    >>
    >> What do people do? Does everyone use wireless routers? I suppose that
    >> is a way to go, preferably with one that supports OpenWRT. However, I
    >> was trying to cut down on the number of small boxes I seem to end up
    >> with.
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    > I use a Netgear WPN311, works great. I use it with the madwifi
    > (http://www.madwifi.org/) driver, and hostapd
    > (http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/) for WPA2 security. I have even
    > created a Slackware 12.1 package of hostapd, which I have submitted to
    > www.linuxpackages.net, or you can get it directly here:
    >
    > http://nic-nac-project.org/~lwedding...ostapd-0.5.10-

    i486-2lrw.tgz

    Work your card (with hostapd) with list in /etc/hostapd.accept (List of
    MAC addresses that are allowed to authenticate)

    --
    Murat D. Kadirov

  12. Re: Wireless thoughts

    > Most Atheros cards work well with most Linux distros. Eventually. Slack
    > requires a little more patience in this regard, what with the standard
    > install having no madwifi and no ndiswrapper. By the time Slack 12.2
    > comes out (one hopes) the ath5k and ath9k will both be stable and in the
    > kernel tree.

    OK, I have tried various drivers, madwifi, ath5k and ath9k and none
    recognise the card. Either I have got something wrong or I have discovered
    a card with an unknown chipset.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  13. Re: Wireless thoughts

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:23:02 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    >> Most Atheros cards work well with most Linux distros. Eventually.
    >> Slack requires a little more patience in this regard, what with the
    >> standard install having no madwifi and no ndiswrapper. By the time
    >> Slack 12.2 comes out (one hopes) the ath5k and ath9k will both be
    >> stable and in the kernel tree.

    > OK, I have tried various drivers, madwifi, ath5k and ath9k and none
    > recognise the card. Either I have got something wrong or I have
    > discovered a card with an unknown chipset.

    All I can suggest right now is that you get in touch with the ath5k and
    ath9k teams and give them the PCI id of the card.

  14. Re: Wireless thoughts

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > A half-decent, no-frills, wireless router sells here for about CHF 70 at
    > retail prices, about 30 quid or so. And on the plus side it uses less
    > juice and makes less noise and heat.

    Linuxemporium sell a Buffalo one and will even flash it with Tomato for a
    small charge. I was thinking that that might be a safe bet at the end of
    the day.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread