pppoe session and s2ram - Slackware

This is a discussion on pppoe session and s2ram - Slackware ; When I resume after s2ram (suspend to ram) my pppoe connection is down. I'd like to be able to run '/etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart' after resume. I create /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh $ cat pppoe-restore.sh #!/bin/sh /etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart sleep 1 /usr/sbin/ntpdate be.pool.ntp.org nl.pool.ntp.org fr.pool.ntp.org and ...

  1. pppoe session and s2ram

    When I resume after s2ram (suspend to ram) my pppoe connection is down.
    I'd like to be able to run '/etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart' after resume. I
    create /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh

    $ cat pppoe-restore.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    /etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart
    sleep 1
    /usr/sbin/ntpdate be.pool.ntp.org nl.pool.ntp.org fr.pool.ntp.org

    and call a script from /etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh

    $ cat acpi_handler.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    # Default acpi script that takes an entry for all actions

    IFS=${IFS}/
    set $@

    case "$1" in
    button)
    case "$2" in
    # power) /sbin/init 0
    power) /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh
    ;;
    *) logger "ACPI action $2 is not defined"
    ;;
    esac
    ;;
    *)
    logger "ACPI group $1 / action $2 is not defined"
    ;;
    esac

    In order to machine sleep I press 'sleep'-button on multimedia keyboard,
    in order to wake I press power-button on system block.
    But it does not work (pppoe does not restart). What I am doing wrong?

    Thanks,

    --
    Murat D. Kadirov

  2. Re: pppoe session and s2ram

    On 2008-09-11, Murat D. Kadirov wrote:
    > When I resume after s2ram (suspend to ram) my pppoe connection is down.
    > I'd like to be able to run '/etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart' after resume. I
    > create /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh
    >
    > $ cat pppoe-restore.sh
    > #!/bin/sh
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart
    > sleep 1
    > /usr/sbin/ntpdate be.pool.ntp.org nl.pool.ntp.org fr.pool.ntp.org
    >
    > and call a script from /etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh
    >
    > $ cat acpi_handler.sh
    > #!/bin/sh
    > # Default acpi script that takes an entry for all actions
    >
    > IFS=${IFS}/
    > set $@
    >
    > case "$1" in
    > button)
    > case "$2" in
    > # power) /sbin/init 0
    > power) /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh
    > ;;
    > *) logger "ACPI action $2 is not defined"
    > ;;
    > esac
    > ;;
    > *)
    > logger "ACPI group $1 / action $2 is not defined"
    > ;;
    > esac
    >
    > In order to machine sleep I press 'sleep'-button on multimedia keyboard,
    > in order to wake I press power-button on system block.
    > But it does not work (pppoe does not restart). What I am doing wrong?

    Disclaimer: I *think* this is how the kernel's suspend/resume works,
    but I'm not entirely sure...

    Assuming your "sleep" button calls /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh,
    make your suspend.sh script look something like this:

    #!/bin/sh

    sync # Sync everything to be sure

    # Do any pre-suspend stuff needed
    # For example, /etc/acpi/pppoe-stop.sh

    # Do the actual suspend operation
    echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

    # When the system wakes up, stuff after the suspend operation should
    # be run, so add them here...
    /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh

    # End of script

    Let me know if that works and I'll document it better somewhere :-)

    -RW

  3. Re: pppoe session and s2ram

    Murat D. Kadirov wrote:
    > When I resume after s2ram (suspend to ram) my pppoe connection is down.
    > I'd like to be able to run '/etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart' after resume. I
    > create /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh
    >
    > $ cat pppoe-restore.sh
    > #!/bin/sh
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart
    > sleep 1
    > /usr/sbin/ntpdate be.pool.ntp.org nl.pool.ntp.org fr.pool.ntp.org
    >
    > and call a script from /etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh
    >
    > $ cat acpi_handler.sh
    > #!/bin/sh
    > # Default acpi script that takes an entry for all actions
    >
    > IFS=${IFS}/
    > set $@
    >
    > case "$1" in
    > button)
    > case "$2" in
    > # power) /sbin/init 0
    > power) /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh
    > ;;
    > *) logger "ACPI action $2 is not defined"
    > ;;
    > esac
    > ;;
    > *)
    > logger "ACPI group $1 / action $2 is not defined"
    > ;;
    > esac
    >
    > In order to machine sleep I press 'sleep'-button on multimedia keyboard,
    > in order to wake I press power-button on system block.
    > But it does not work (pppoe does not restart). What I am doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks,

    If it works like my 2 laptops, the power button event gets sent before
    the suspend. You need to hook into the suspend script. For example, I
    need to kill wireless upon suspend, & restart it when I resume.
    My power button event calls the suspend script, in the suspend script
    I kill wpa_supplicant, suspend (to disk or ram), restart
    wpa_supplicant.

    Jerry

  4. Re: pppoe session and s2ram

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:31:48 +0000 (UTC), "Murat D. Kadirov" wrote:

    >When I resume after s2ram (suspend to ram) my pppoe connection is down.
    >I'd like to be able to run '/etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart' after resume. I
    >create /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh
    >
    >$ cat pppoe-restore.sh
    >#!/bin/sh
    >/etc/rc.d/rc.pppoe restart
    >sleep 1
    >/usr/sbin/ntpdate be.pool.ntp.org nl.pool.ntp.org fr.pool.ntp.org

    For starters, this is not a good sequence, you need to kick pppoe
    and wait for the if-up (etc/ppp/if-up) script to be called to do
    the stuff needs doing once you _have_ the ppp connection established.

    Waiting only a second is unlikely to cut it.

    It's not really a restart -- all real-time operations like network
    connections go out the window when you stop the CPU. You need to
    think in terms of a new startup for the pppoe, and stopping it
    cleanly before stopping CPU.

    Also the wrong way to run ntp, but that's a separate issue

    >and call a script from /etc/acpi/acpi_handler.sh

    I don't do s2{ram,disk} so clueless about the rest of your issue

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  5. Re: pppoe session and s2ram

    On 2008-09-11, Robby Workman wrote:

    > Disclaimer: I *think* this is how the kernel's suspend/resume works,
    > but I'm not entirely sure...
    >
    > Assuming your "sleep" button calls /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh,
    > make your suspend.sh script look something like this:
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    >
    > sync # Sync everything to be sure
    >
    > # Do any pre-suspend stuff needed
    > # For example, /etc/acpi/pppoe-stop.sh
    >
    > # Do the actual suspend operation
    > echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
    >
    > # When the system wakes up, stuff after the suspend operation should
    > # be run, so add them here...
    > /etc/acpi/pppoe-restore.sh
    >
    > # End of script
    >
    > Let me know if that works and I'll document it better somewhere :-)

    Update: I've just tested this and confirmed that it does work.
    I've updated my sample acpi stuff for suspend/resume - it's at
    http://rlworkman.net/conf/acpi/

    -RW

+ Reply to Thread