Where do I find root (install.1 & 2) and boot (sata.i) disks for Slack 12.1 ? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Where do I find root (install.1 & 2) and boot (sata.i) disks for Slack 12.1 ? - Slackware ; When I loaded Slack 11.0 there was a subdirectory on the Slack site containing bootdisk and rootdisk files but I see no such thing in any of the 12.1 directories. Where did they hide them ? ... please .. Ima ...

  1. Where do I find root (install.1 & 2) and boot (sata.i) disks for Slack 12.1 ?

    When I loaded Slack 11.0 there was a subdirectory on the Slack site
    containing bootdisk and rootdisk files but I see no such thing in any
    of the 12.1 directories. Where did they hide them ? ... please ..

    Ima Goodguy

  2. Re: Where do I find root (install.1 & 2) and boot (sata.i) disks for Slack 12.1 ?

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:41:16 -0400, Ima Goodguy wrote:

    > When I loaded Slack 11.0 there was a subdirectory on the Slack site
    > containing bootdisk and rootdisk files but I see no such thing in any
    > of the 12.1 directories. Where did they hide them ? ... please ..

    RTFM --> root directory documentation -- no longer any bootdisks,
    'cos the 2.6 series kernel's too big.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: Where do I find root (install.1 & 2) and boot (sata.i) disks for Slack 12.1 ?

    Hallo, Ima,

    Du meintest am 10.09.08:

    > When I loaded Slack 11.0 there was a subdirectory on the Slack site
    > containing bootdisk and rootdisk files but I see no such thing in
    > any of the 12.1 directories. Where did they hide them ? ...
    > please ..

    Booting from disk doesn't work with 12.x, 12.1 uses isolinux.
    But you can use the "sbootboot.mgr.dsk" in the directory

    /path/to/slackware-current/isolinux/sbootmgr

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  4. Re: Where do I find root (install.1 & 2) and boot (sata.i) disks for Slack 12.1 ?

    Ima Goodguy wrote:

    > When I loaded Slack 11.0 there was a subdirectory on the Slack site
    > containing bootdisk and rootdisk files but I see no such thing in any
    > of the 12.1 directories.

    Those floppy images are gone as a floppy doesn't have room enough for a
    2.6 kernel.

    From the file usb-and-pxe-installers/README_USB.TXT:

    -8<------------------------------------------
    With the release of Slackware 12.0, the era of floppy-boot came to
    a definite end. The reason is simple - the Linux 2.6 kernel will not
    fit on a single floppy, even in it's most condensed configuration.
    In this README, I will show you how to use a bootable USB stick to
    install Slackware. This method - creating the USB equivalent of a
    boot/root floppy pair - is easy to use and fast. It requires that your
    computer is able to boot from USB-HDD.
    -8<------------------------------------------

    Hope this helps.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: Where do I find root (install.1 & 2) and boot (sata.i) disks for Slack 12.1 ?

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:12:38 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

    > It requires that your
    > computer is able to boot from USB-HDD.

    When I mount a USB stick it is mounted as /dev/sda1. Does that
    mean if SCSI booting is an option in bios setup that my PC will boot off
    the USB stick ?

    Ima

  6. Re: Where do I find root (install.1 & 2) and boot (sata.i) disksfor Slack 12.1 ?

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:57:16 -0400, Ima Goodguy wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:12:38 +0200, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >
    >> It requires that your
    >> computer is able to boot from USB-HDD.

    > When I mount a USB stick it is mounted as /dev/sda1. Does that
    > mean if SCSI booting is an option in bios setup that my PC will boot
    > off the USB stick ?

    Nope. But Helmut already gave advice that should work, make a smart boot
    manager floppy and use that to boot from the CD.

+ Reply to Thread