Periodic freeze - Slackware

This is a discussion on Periodic freeze - Slackware ; I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without problem. Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few days the system freezes, ...

  1. Periodic freeze

    I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk
    distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without
    problem. Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few
    days the system freezes, the mouse won't move and no key sequence
    works. I have to do a hardware reboot.

    when I reboot and run "top" that program is at the top, followed by
    migration/0. the user is RT.
    I cannot identify this program.

    I have recently added a Linksys router.

    Any thoughts? I have switched back to my 12.0 parittion for now.

    John Culleton

  2. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 07:52:02 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk
    > distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without
    > problem. Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few
    > days the system freezes, the mouse won't move and no key sequence
    > works. I have to do a hardware reboot.
    >
    > when I reboot and run "top" that program is at the top, followed by
    > migration/0. the user is RT.
    > I cannot identify this program.

    WAG: Part of the kernel.

    > I have recently added a Linksys router.
    >
    > Any thoughts? I have switched back to my 12.0 parittion for now.
    >
    > John Culleton

    Hardware specs? (disk controller, video controller, etc.)

    IIRC, there are some persistent problems with certain video chipsets.
    Also, IIRC, PV recommended the X from -current (beyond 12.1), especially
    for systems with the intel video chipsets. I could be wrong about that
    though. I have a system with an i915 chipset which is running a self
    compiled X from -current on Slackware 12.0. So far, so good.

    Kernel specs? (version, with initrd, etc.)

    Patches have been issued in the 2.6.24 kernel series (to 2.6.24.7). Kernel
    2.6.24.5 shipped with Slackware 12.1. Perhaps, scan the changelog for
    2.6.24.6 and 2.6.24.7.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Sep 8, 11:02 am, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 07:52:02 -0700, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > > I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk
    > > distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without
    > > problem. Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few
    > > days the system freezes, the mouse won't move and no key sequence
    > > works. I have to do a hardware reboot.

    > > when I reboot and run "top" that program is at the top, followed by
    > > migration/0. the user is RT.
    > > I cannot identify this program.

    > WAG: Part of the kernel.
    >
    > > I have recently added a Linksys router.

    > > Any thoughts? I have switched back to my 12.0 parittion for now.

    > > John Culleton

    > Hardware specs? (disk controller, video controller, etc.)
    >
    > IIRC, there are some persistent problems with certain video chipsets.
    > Also, IIRC, PV recommended the X from -current (beyond 12.1), especially
    > for systems with the intel video chipsets. I could be wrong about that
    > though. I have a system with an i915 chipset which is running a self
    > compiled X from -current on Slackware 12.0. So far, so good.
    >
    > Kernel specs? (version, with initrd, etc.)dmesg
    >
    > Patches have been issued in the 2.6.24 kernel series (to 2.6.24.7). Kernel
    > 2.6.24.5 shipped with Slackware 12.1. Perhaps, scan the changelog for
    > 2.6.24.6 and 2.6.24.7.
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

    The video controller is also fairly new, I installed a new one with
    dual outputs and more dpi so that I could handle 2046 x 1024 on my
    big Sony G520 tube. I didn't need the dual output but I did need
    something that would work with my old motherboard. At that time I took
    out my agp card and left that slot empty.

    For debugging purposes I will run off my older 12.0 partition for a
    few days and see if the problem recurs. It is an intermittent thing
    and never leaves any kind of audit trail. 12.0 uses 2.6.21.5-smp. I
    have only a single processor.

    John Culleton

  4. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 07:52:02 -0700 (PDT), "john@wexfordpress.com" wrote:

    >I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk
    >distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without
    >problem.

    So it's been okay...

    > Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few
    >days the system freezes, the mouse won't move and no key sequence
    >works. I have to do a hardware reboot.

    So what did you change recently on that box that may be causing the
    problem? (I doubt the new router is doing this).

    When you say freeze, does NumLock toggle the LED? Does the machine
    respond to Ctrl_Alt-Del or do you have to press the Reset button?

    >when I reboot and run "top" that program is at the top, followed by
    >migration/0. the user is RT.
    >I cannot identify this program.

    somename/0 (and .../n if you have multicore CPU) are kernel daemons

    How long does it freeze for? New stable kernels out today - 2.6.25.17
    and 2.6.26.5

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  5. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:36:31 -0700 (PDT), "john@wexfordpress.com" wrote:

    >... At that time I took
    >out my agp card and left that slot empty.

    Did you tell the BIOS about that?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  6. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 07:52:02 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk
    > distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without problem.
    > Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few days the
    > system freezes, the mouse won't move and no key sequence works. I have
    > to do a hardware reboot.
    >
    > when I reboot and run "top" that program is at the top, followed by
    > migration/0. the user is RT.
    > I cannot identify this program.
    >
    > I have recently added a Linksys router.
    >
    > Any thoughts? I have switched back to my 12.0 parittion for now.
    >
    > John Culleton

    This happened here as well. System is identical to the one with 12.0 but
    I configured 12.1 with JFS. There is no other difference to 12.0. It
    would freeze occasionally when I started the X server. Now I have updaded
    X to the current version and there were no more freezes, for about a week
    now. My suspicion is that there may be a conflict with the Nvidia drivers
    and X.

    JB

  7. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Sep 8, 9:52 am, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    wrote:
    > I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk
    > distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without
    > problem. Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few
    > days the system freezes, the mouse won't move and no key sequence
    > works. I have to do a hardware reboot.
    >
    > when I reboot and run "top" that program is at the top, followed by
    > migration/0. the user is RT.
    > I cannot identify this program.
    >
    > I have recently added a Linksys router.
    >
    > Any thoughts? I have switched back to my 12.0 parittion for now.
    >
    > John Culleton

    Have you ruled out hardware issues? (Most obvious is RAM. I would run
    memory test on it first.)

  8. Re: Periodic freeze

    danube writes:

    > On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 07:52:02 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >
    >> I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk
    >> distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without problem.
    >> Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few days the
    >> system freezes, the mouse won't move and no key sequence works. I have
    >> to do a hardware reboot.
    >>
    >> when I reboot and run "top" that program is at the top, followed by
    >> migration/0. the user is RT.
    >> I cannot identify this program.
    >>
    >> I have recently added a Linksys router.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts? I have switched back to my 12.0 parittion for now.
    >>
    >> John Culleton

    > This happened here as well. System is identical to the one with 12.0 but
    > I configured 12.1 with JFS. There is no other difference to 12.0. It
    > would freeze occasionally when I started the X server. Now I have updaded
    > X to the current version and there were no more freezes, for about a week
    > now. My suspicion is that there may be a conflict with the Nvidia drivers
    > and X.

    When you say "uograded X" could you be a bit more specific - whiuch
    packages did you upgrade or was it the whole x directory under current?
    Am facing the same trouble here and may try this one out.

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  9. Re: Periodic freeze

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk
    > distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without
    > problem. Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few
    > days the system freezes, the mouse won't move and no key sequence
    > works. I have to do a hardware reboot.
    >
    > when I reboot and run "top" that program is at the top, followed by
    > migration/0. the user is RT.
    > I cannot identify this program.
    >
    > I have recently added a Linksys router.
    >
    > Any thoughts? I have switched back to my 12.0 parittion for now.
    >
    > John Culleton

    Noticed the same thing, running 12.1 on a 400Mhz PII with 256MB
    RAM,a 8M ATI video card.

    It's occurs occasionally, and can't pin it down to a particular
    program either; I'll either running a web browser viewing a
    YOUTUBE video, or compiling a package when I get the freeze.

    [ And I thought Windows 98 done this only...I was very surprised
    the first time I could not shell out and kill X at all, I also
    had to hard boot ( power down, power up ) ]

  10. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Sep 9, 12:04*pm, dave wrote:
    [system freezes]
    > It's occurs occasionally, and can't pin it down to a particular
    > program either; *I'll either running a web browser viewing a
    > YOUTUBE video, or compiling a package when I get the freeze.

    I've sometimes seen this sort of thing when the cpu ventilation is
    inadequate, and an
    extended cpu-intensive task will raise its temperature too much.

  11. Re: Periodic freeze

    jim wrote:
    > On Sep 9, 12:04 pm, dave wrote:
    > [system freezes]
    >
    >>It's occurs occasionally, and can't pin it down to a particular
    >>program either; I'll either running a web browser viewing a
    >>YOUTUBE video, or compiling a package when I get the freeze.

    > I've sometimes seen this sort of thing when the cpu ventilation is
    > inadequate, and an
    > extended cpu-intensive task will raise its temperature too much.

    I compiled QT4 on the same machine on a single run, took a little
    over 12 hrs to do on that little machine, and no problems.

    Then I compile something like tcpcheck, get a lock-up...

    just shoot me for not running a faster machine

  12. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 07:52:02 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I ahve been using some version of Slack since the days of floppy disk
    > distribution. For some months I have been running 12.1 without problem.
    > Recently I have had a new and disturbing error. Every few days the
    > system freezes, the mouse won't move and no key sequence works. I have
    > to do a hardware reboot.

    It has also happened to me a few times already, the last time was some
    minutes ago.

    Firefox and boinc were running. The system began to be very slow, I changed
    to screen to to stop boinc, but before I coud press ^C the system hang
    completely.

    No ctrl+alt+del, no ctrl+alt+backspace, no ctrl+alt+F1, nothing. This has
    never happened before version 12.0, the one I'm running now.

    Luis

  13. Re: Periodic freeze

    >> This happened here as well. System is identical to the one with 12.0
    >> but I configured 12.1 with JFS. There is no other difference to 12.0.
    >> It would freeze occasionally when I started the X server. Now I have
    >> updaded X to the current version and there were no more freezes, for
    >> about a week now. My suspicion is that there may be a conflict with the
    >> Nvidia drivers and X.

    > When you say "uograded X" could you be a bit more specific - whiuch
    > packages did you upgrade or was it the whole x directory under current?
    > Am facing the same trouble here and may try this one out.
    >
    > atb
    >

    > Glyn

    I upgraded three programs:

    xorg-server-1.4.2-i486-1
    xorg-server-xnest-1.4.2-i486-1
    xorg-server-xvfb-1.4.2-i486-1

    all from version 1.4.0.90 (the version that ships with 12.1).

    It is not a hardware problem as somebody says, 12.0 runs perfectly well
    on the same hardware (I can dual-boot).

    JB

  14. Re: Periodic freeze

    danube writes:

    >>> This happened here as well. System is identical to the one with 12.0
    >>> but I configured 12.1 with JFS. There is no other difference to 12.0.
    >>> It would freeze occasionally when I started the X server. Now I have
    >>> updaded X to the current version and there were no more freezes, for
    >>> about a week now. My suspicion is that there may be a conflict with the
    >>> Nvidia drivers and X.

    >> When you say "uograded X" could you be a bit more specific - whiuch
    >> packages did you upgrade or was it the whole x directory under current?
    >> Am facing the same trouble here and may try this one out.

    > I upgraded three programs:
    >
    > xorg-server-1.4.2-i486-1
    > xorg-server-xnest-1.4.2-i486-1
    > xorg-server-xvfb-1.4.2-i486-1
    >
    > all from version 1.4.0.90 (the version that ships with 12.1).
    >
    > It is not a hardware problem as somebody says, 12.0 runs perfectly well
    > on the same hardware (I can dual-boot).

    Marvellous - thank you very much

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
    STFW http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...inux.slackware
    JFGI http://jfgi.us/

  15. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:34:48 +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:

    >>> When you say "uograded X" could you be a bit more specific - whiuch
    >>> packages did you upgrade or was it the whole x directory under
    >>> current? Am facing the same trouble here and may try this one out.

    >> I upgraded three programs:
    >>
    >> xorg-server-1.4.2-i486-1
    >> xorg-server-xnest-1.4.2-i486-1
    >> xorg-server-xvfb-1.4.2-i486-1
    >>
    >> all from version 1.4.0.90 (the version that ships with 12.1).
    >>
    >> It is not a hardware problem as somebody says, 12.0 runs perfectly well
    >> on the same hardware (I can dual-boot).

    > Marvellous - thank you very much
    >
    > atb
    >
    > Glyn

    Please let us know whether this helps. I cannot say for certain that it
    cured my problem but I didn't have a freeze since.

    JB

  16. Re: Periodic freeze

    danube writes:

    >>> I upgraded three programs:
    >>>
    >>> xorg-server-1.4.2-i486-1
    >>> xorg-server-xnest-1.4.2-i486-1
    >>> xorg-server-xvfb-1.4.2-i486-1
    >>>
    >>> all from version 1.4.0.90 (the version that ships with 12.1).
    >>>
    >>> It is not a hardware problem as somebody says, 12.0 runs perfectly well
    >>> on the same hardware (I can dual-boot).

    > Please let us know whether this helps. I cannot say for certain that it
    > cured my problem but I didn't have a freeze since.

    Alas I did! Will put up a separate post on this one next week - haven't
    time today.

    Many thanks for the suggestion.

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
    STFW http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...inux.slackware
    JFGI http://jfgi.us/

  17. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Sep 13, 3:07 am, Glyn Millington wrote:

    > > Please let us know whether this helps. I cannot say for certain that it
    > > cured my problem but I didn't have a freeze since.

    > Alas I did! Will put up a separate post on this one next week - haven't
    > time today.
    >
    > Many thanks for the suggestion.
    >
    > atb
    >
    > Glyn
    > --
    > RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    > GAFC http://slackbook.org/The Official Source :-)
    > STFW http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...inux.slackware
    > JFGI http://jfgi.us/

    I retreated to my 12.0 partition and the problem seems to have gone
    away. I'll stick with 12.0 until 12.2 or 13.0 comes out. Nothing in
    12.1 is got to have at my site at least.

  18. Re: Periodic freeze

    "john@wexfordpress.com" writes:

    > On Sep 13, 3:07 am, Glyn Millington wrote:
    >> Alas I did! Will put up a separate post on this one next week - haven't
    >> time today.
    >>

    > I retreated to my 12.0 partition and the problem seems to have gone
    > away. I'll stick with 12.0 until 12.2 or 13.0 comes out. Nothing in
    > 12.1 is got to have at my site at least.

    So I narrowed my periodic freezes down to a problem with the display
    driver. I was using the 'nv' driver, but have now installed the latest
    nvidia driver available at Slackbuilds.org (they are wonderful, wonderful
    people!!); this appears to have fixed my problem - the mac hine hasn't
    taken a dive in the last 24 hours anyway.

    Thanks for all suggestions and help.

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
    STFW http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...inux.slackware
    JFGI http://jfgi.us/

  19. Re: Periodic freeze

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:06:45 +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:

    > So I narrowed my periodic freezes down to a problem with the display
    > driver. I was using the 'nv' driver, but have now installed the latest
    > nvidia driver available at Slackbuilds.org (they are wonderful,
    > wonderful people!!); this appears to have fixed my problem - the mac
    > hine hasn't taken a dive in the last 24 hours anyway.
    >
    > Thanks for all suggestions and help.
    >
    > atb
    >

    > Glyn

    I have had another freeze-up with 12.1 and have now gone back to 12.0.
    This is now 5 days since and there hasn't been a single failure in that
    time. It seems to me that something is wrong with X in 12.1.

    JB

  20. Re: Periodic freeze

    danube wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:06:45 +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:
    >

    >> So I narrowed my periodic freezes down to a problem with the display
    >> driver. I was using the 'nv' driver, but have now installed the latest
    >> nvidia driver available at Slackbuilds.org (they are wonderful,
    >> wonderful people!!); this appears to have fixed my problem - the mac
    >> hine hasn't taken a dive in the last 24 hours anyway.
    >>
    >> Thanks for all suggestions and help.
    >>
    >> atb
    >>

    >> Glyn

    > I have had another freeze-up with 12.1 and have now gone back to 12.0.
    > This is now 5 days since and there hasn't been a single failure in that
    > time. It seems to me that something is wrong with X in 12.1.
    >
    > JB

    As seen by ^@v@^ :

    I do not use 12.0. or 12.x or any 11.x

    I have been testing/checking _everything_ that could possibly cause the *freezes*

    mentioned, and other possible causes.

    Including OS's Versions and re-flashing bios's to another version.

    The freezes only started in the last 6-10 months!!

    and with no changes in anything regarding X, for over (1) Yr. !!!

    I use a nvidia graphics card with it's driver _module_ for X.

    NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 6200 (NV44) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)

    NVIDIA(0): Memory: 262144 kBytes.

    I am now suspecting some web-pages Java scriptings,

    but, I'll suspect/ monitor Firefox, and then Seamonkey.... first!

    It's weird stuff, but no freezes for over a couple of weeks now,

    nothing is _ever_ indicative in any of my log files .... :-\

    ^@v@^

    (I C, do U C 2) ?