Where is the man pages for pthreads? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Where is the man pages for pthreads? - Slackware ; Hi, In my slack 12.0, I can not do 'man 3 pthread_create' or other threads related functions, but I can get 'man 7 pthreads'. Have I missed any package or should I go install something? Thanks. - narke...

  1. Where is the man pages for pthreads?

    Hi,

    In my slack 12.0, I can not do 'man 3 pthread_create' or other threads
    related functions, but I can get 'man 7 pthreads'. Have I missed any
    package or should I go install something?

    Thanks.

    -
    narke

  2. Re: Where is the man pages for pthreads?

    Steven Woody wrote:
    > In my slack 12.0, I can not do 'man 3 pthread_create' or other threads
    > related functions, but I can get 'man 7 pthreads'. Have I missed any
    > package or should I go install something?

    As far as I know "glibc" doesn't ship with man-pages anymore.
    Did a lookup into the 12.0 MANIFEST and the above manpage isn't
    available in any package.
    GNU has been moving away from man pages, this may be one of the
    results of that.
    Although, in openSUSE the manpage is still there, but then as
    part of the "man-pages" package (and of the Posix functions part
    of that, they are in /usr/share/man/man3p in that distribution).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  3. Re: Where is the man pages for pthreads?

    On 2008-09-08, Steven Woody wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In my slack 12.0, I can not do 'man 3 pthread_create' or other threads
    > related functions, but I can get 'man 7 pthreads'. Have I missed any
    > package or should I go install something?

    Bug in the man-pages package. You can safely install the man-pages
    package from 12.1 (where it's fixed), or I have a build script for
    an even newer man-pages if you're interested:
    http://slackware.com/~rworkman/updates/man-pages/

    -RW

  4. Re: Where is the man pages for pthreads?

    On Sep 9, 12:47*am, Robby Workman wrote:
    > On 2008-09-08, Steven Woody wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > In my slack 12.0, I can not do 'man 3 pthread_create' or other threads
    > > related functions, but I can get 'man 7 pthreads'. *Have I missed any
    > > package or should I go install something?

    > Bug in the man-pages package. *You can safely install the man-pages
    > package from 12.1 (where it's fixed), or I have a build script for
    > an even newer man-pages if you're interested:
    > *http://slackware.com/~rworkman/updates/man-pages/
    >
    > -RW

    Great, thank you.

  5. Re: Where is the man pages for pthreads?

    On 2008-09-17, Steven Woody wrote:
    > On Sep 9, 12:47*am, Robby Workman wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-08, Steven Woody wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,

    >> > In my slack 12.0, I can not do 'man 3 pthread_create' or other threads
    >> > related functions, but I can get 'man 7 pthreads'. *Have I missed any
    >> > package or should I go install something?

    >> Bug in the man-pages package. *You can safely install the man-pages
    >> package from 12.1 (where it's fixed), or I have a build script for
    >> an even newer man-pages if you're interested:
    >> *http://slackware.com/~rworkman/updates/man-pages/
    >>
    >> -RW

    > Great, thank you.

    In case you didn't notice, this is now in the -current tree.

    As an aside, Michael Kerrisk (the man-pages maintainer) is now being paid
    to work on them full-time, so he's accomplishing a *lot* on them. As a
    consequence, he's releasing new versions very frequently. At this point
    during the -current cycle, there's no good reason to keep them updated
    in the tree, but if anyone really wants the newer ones, the build script
    should work well into the foreseeable future.

    -RW

+ Reply to Thread