Samba - Slackware

This is a discussion on Samba - Slackware ; Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it up as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically, I want to share a folder named "data" on another partition, but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Samba

    Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it up
    as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically, I
    want to share a folder named "data" on another partition, but from any
    other machine in my network, when I enter \\_machine_name_\data or
    \\_ip_address_\data I receive the error "the network path was not found".
    From the slackware box, I can access windows shares on my network just
    fine.

  2. Re: Samba

    Storm wrote:
    > Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it up
    > as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically, I
    > want to share a folder named "data" on another partition, but from any
    > other machine in my network, when I enter \\_machine_name_\data or
    > \\_ip_address_\data I receive the error "the network path was not found".
    > From the slackware box, I can access windows shares on my network just
    > fine.

    You can try http://slackwiki.org/Samba goes over some basics. Google is
    your friend as well

    -Matt

  3. Re: Samba

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:10:23 +0200, Storm wrote:

    > Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it up
    > as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically, I
    > want to share a folder named "data" on another partition, but from any
    > other machine in my network, when I enter \\_machine_name_\data or
    > \\_ip_address_\data I receive the error "the network path was not found".
    > From the slackware box, I can access windows shares on my network just
    > fine.

    The Samba documentation is very good. There are tutorials at the home
    website, and there is locally installed documentation. Perhaps, take a
    look at /usr/doc//docs/ -> using_samba. I'll add a few more hints
    below.

    Swat is a graphical interface to Samba. It is disabled in Slackware by
    default. If you enable it in /etc/inetd.conf and restart inetd, then you
    will be able to configure/check the status of Samba from a browser
    interface. Open http://localhost:901

    If you would rather start with a text based configuration file, then
    there is a sample configuration file, /etc/samba/smb.conf-sample. Edit it
    as appropriate and rename the result as /etc/samba/smb.conf. It is pretty
    easy to get some simple shares working (homes). Fine tuning is an exercise
    beyond the basics. First hand practice is best, IMO.

    IIRC, there are some common trip points getting samba working:

    1. Firewall prevents access to server. (add firewall rule to allow)
    2. Shares may be marked "unavailable." (toggle to "available")
    3. For "user" mode security, individual users must exist in
    samba's database. (smbpasswd -a user) *

    * I believe there are exceptions to rule 3, but the basic setup needs a
    way to authenticate users.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: Samba

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:10:23 +0200, Storm wrote:

    >Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it up
    >as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically, I
    >want to share a folder named "data" on another partition, but from any
    >other machine in my network, when I enter \\_machine_name_\data or
    >\\_ip_address_\data I receive the error "the network path was not found".
    >From the slackware box, I can access windows shares on my network just
    >fine.

    Does smbpasswd ring a bell?

    Grant.
    --
    Cats, no less liquid than their shadows, offer no angles to the wind.

  5. Re: Samba

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:10:23 +0200, Storm wrote:

    > Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it up
    > as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically, I
    > want to share a folder named "data" on another partition, but from any
    > other machine in my network, when I enter \\_machine_name_\data or
    > \\_ip_address_\data I receive the error "the network path was not found".

    Here's a config that works. I've been using a similar one for years.
    Edit as you see fit, particularly server string, interfaces, hosts allow,
    "backup" share name and path. The shared directory must have read/write
    permissions for your windoes user.

    [global]
    server string = newton
    interfaces = 192.168.0.8/24
    log file = /var/log/smbd.%m
    max log size = 50
    time server = Yes
    os level = 65
    preferred master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.0.

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    nt acl support = No

    [backup]
    path = /srv
    read only = No

    Then you need to add the samba users:

    smbpasswd -a storm , where storm is a username on your Linux machine.

    You also have to chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.samba, then

    /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start

    > From the slackware box, I can access windows shares on my network just
    > fine.

    Not relevant.

  6. Re: Samba

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > [global]
    > server string = newton
    > interfaces = 192.168.0.8/24
    > log file = /var/log/smbd.%m
    > max log size = 50
    > time server = Yes
    > os level = 65
    > preferred master = Yes
    > domain master = Yes
    > hosts allow = 192.168.0.
    >
    > [homes]
    > comment = Home Directories
    > read only = No
    > nt acl support = No
    >
    > [backup]
    > path = /srv
    > read only = No

    Hi Dave,

    I did what you suggested but still get the same error. I managed to set up
    Samba before on Redhat and SuSe. I wonder what the difference on Slack is?

  7. Re: Samba

    Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:10:23 +0200, Storm wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it
    >> up as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically,
    >> I want to share a folder named "data" on another partition, but from any
    >> other machine in my network, when I enter \\_machine_name_\data or
    >> \\_ip_address_\data I receive the error "the network path was not found".
    >> From the slackware box, I can access windows shares on my network just
    >> fine.
    >>

    > The Samba documentation is very good. There are tutorials at the home
    > website, and there is locally installed documentation. Perhaps, take a
    > look at /usr/doc//docs/ -> using_samba. I'll add a few more hints
    > below.
    >
    > Swat is a graphical interface to Samba. It is disabled in Slackware by
    > default. If you enable it in /etc/inetd.conf and restart inetd, then you
    > will be able to configure/check the status of Samba from a browser
    > interface. Open http://localhost:901

    That was a nice tip, never heard of it.

    > If you would rather start with a text based configuration file, then
    > there is a sample configuration file, /etc/samba/smb.conf-sample. Edit it
    > as appropriate and rename the result as /etc/samba/smb.conf. It is pretty
    > easy to get some simple shares working (homes). Fine tuning is an exercise
    > beyond the basics. First hand practice is best, IMO.
    >
    > IIRC, there are some common trip points getting samba working:
    >
    > 1. Firewall prevents access to server. (add firewall rule to allow)
    > 2. Shares may be marked "unavailable." (toggle to "available")
    > 3. For "user" mode security, individual users must exist in
    > samba's database. (smbpasswd -a user) *
    >
    > * I believe there are exceptions to rule 3, but the basic setup needs a
    > way to authenticate users.

    I am aware of the smbpasswd exercise, as I have used it in Redhat and SuSe
    before. Dunno why it's so hard to set it up in Slack.

  8. Re: Samba

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 23:29:50 +0200, Storm wrote:

    > I did what you suggested but still get the same error. I managed to set up
    > Samba before on Redhat and SuSe. I wonder what the difference on Slack is?

    If you have started samba on your Linux machine then you should see
    something similar: (This is a Solaris machine)

    duhring@dirac:~$ smbclient -L localhost
    Enter duhring's password:
    Domain=[DIRAC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.1]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    homes Disk Home Directories
    backup Disk
    IPC$ IPC IPC Service (dirac)
    duhring Disk Home Directories
    Domain=[DIRAC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.1]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    WORKGROUP NEWTON

    I do get an error on the other samba server, this one running samba-3.2.3
    on Debian Lenny.

    [duhring@newton ~]$ smbclient -L localhost
    Enter duhring's password:
    Server requested plaintext password but 'client plaintext auth' is disabled
    tree connect failed: SUCCESS - 0

    BUT, on Slackware-12.1, with the same smb.conf as earlier modified only
    for its hostname and address and shares:

    duhring@maxwell:~$ cat /etc/slackware-version
    Slackware 12.1.0
    duhring@maxwell:~$ smbclient -L localhost
    Password:
    Domain=[MAXWELL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.32]

    Sharename Type Comment
    --------- ---- -------
    homes Disk Home Directories
    IPC$ IPC IPC Service (maxwell)
    duhring Disk Home Directories
    Domain=[MAXWELL] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.32]

    Server Comment
    --------- -------

    Workgroup Master
    --------- -------
    WORKGROUP

    The home directories are accessible and if I had a separate share it would
    also be accessible. Indeed, the home directories on the Slackware machine
    are accessible. I just checked using win-xp in a vbox.

    Here is the Slackware config:

    [global]
    server string = maxwell
    interfaces = 192.168.0.5/24
    log file = /var/log/smbd.%m
    max log size = 50
    time server = No
    os level = 35
    preferred master = No
    domain master = No
    hosts allow = 192.168.0.

    [homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    nt acl support = No

  9. Re: Samba

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 06:10:23 -0400, Storm wrote:

    > Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it
    > up
    > as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically, I

    The Samba reference that finally helped me get my Samba network working
    was this, because it has examples progressing from very simple to very
    complicated. My home network is somewhere on the border between simple
    and moderate.

    http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

    This webpage gave me the final hint for getting my Linux box printing to
    the printer on the Family (that is, my son's) XP box.

    http://www.math.colostate.edu/~reinh...nt_client.html

  10. Re: Samba

    On 2008-09-07, Storm wrote:
    > Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it up
    > as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically, I
    > want to share a folder named "data" on another partition, but from any
    > other machine in my network, when I enter \\_machine_name_\data or
    > \\_ip_address_\data I receive the error "the network path was not found".
    > From the slackware box, I can access windows shares on my network just
    > fine.

    Here's the O'Reilly book that got me up and running samba on a slack/w98
    network in no time. I could even map a linux drive/partition to w98 and
    edit it directly and use linux as a print server for the w98 box..... and
    I'm dumber'n a bag o hammers! It's free online.

    http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/toc.html

    nb

  11. Re: Samba

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:42:19 -0400, notbob wrote:

    > http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/toc.html

    Thanks. Bookmarked.

  12. Re: Samba

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:46:12 -0400, Frank Bell wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:42:19 -0400, notbob wrote:
    >
    >> http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/toc.html

    > Thanks. Bookmarked.

    You have the current book on your system.

    file:///usr/share/swat/help/Samba3-HOWTO/index.html

  13. Re: Samba

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Storm wrote:

    > I am aware of the smbpasswd exercise, as I have used it in Redhat and SuSe
    > before. Dunno why it's so hard to set it up in Slack.

    It's not, I suggest however you look into the " security= " setting

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

  14. Re: Samba

    On 2008-09-07, Storm wrote:

    > I did what you suggested but still get the same error. I managed to set up
    > Samba before on Redhat and SuSe. I wonder what the difference on Slack is?

    I assume Samba is running. The script that starts Samba,
    /etc/rc.d/rc.samba, by default is not executable in Slackware. You would
    need to make it executable if you didn't do so during the Slackware
    install.

    Bud

  15. Re: Samba

    wrhamblen@comcast.net wrote:

    > On 2008-09-07, Storm wrote:
    >
    >> I did what you suggested but still get the same error. I managed to set
    >> up Samba before on Redhat and SuSe. I wonder what the difference on Slack
    >> is?

    > I assume Samba is running. The script that starts Samba,
    > /etc/rc.d/rc.samba, by default is not executable in Slackware. You would
    > need to make it executable if you didn't do so during the Slackware
    > install.
    >
    > Bud

    Yes, Samba is running. During the Slackware install it was set to
    executable.

  16. Re: Samba

    Hallo, Storm,

    Du meintest am 08.09.08:

    > Yes, Samba is running. During the Slackware install it was set to
    > executable.

    What tells

    pidof smbd
    pidof nmbd

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  17. Re: Samba

    On 2008-09-08, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:46:12 -0400, Frank Bell wrote:
    >> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:42:19 -0400, notbob wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/toc.html

    >> Thanks. Bookmarked.

    > You have the current book on your system.
    >
    > file:///usr/share/swat/help/Samba3-HOWTO/index.html

    Not the same book as O'Reilly. Also, what the hell is it doing in
    /usr/share/swat/yadayada ? What's a "swat"? Why not in /usr/docs?

    nb

  18. Re: Samba

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 03:52:51 +0000, notbob wrote:
    > On 2008-09-08, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> You have the current book on your system.
    >>
    >> file:///usr/share/swat/help/Samba3-HOWTO/index.html
    >>

    > Not the same book as O'Reilly. Also, what the hell is it doing in
    > /usr/share/swat/yadayada ? What's a "swat"? Why not in /usr/docs?

    Slackware 12.1 has Samba3 and you pointed to a book for Samba2, not the
    same thing. Did you even look at the date on that document? So, yes, it
    is not the same book as O'Reilly.

    Read the book and you will find out what "swat" is.

  19. Re: Samba

    On 2008-09-08, Storm wrote:
    > wrhamblen@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-09-07, Storm wrote:
    >>
    >>> I did what you suggested but still get the same error. I managed to set
    >>> up Samba before on Redhat and SuSe. I wonder what the difference on Slack
    >>> is?

    >> I assume Samba is running. The script that starts Samba,
    >> /etc/rc.d/rc.samba, by default is not executable in Slackware. You would
    >> need to make it executable if you didn't do so during the Slackware
    >> install.

    > Yes, Samba is running. During the Slackware install it was set to
    > executable.

    Here is what my Samba configuration file looks like. /shared is world
    readable and writeable. The more sophisticated will be aghast at the
    utter lack of security, and you would not want to do it this way in an
    office or school environment. This is on the system I play with at home
    and I am the only one with access. Samba in Slackware ought to work
    exactly like Samba on any other system, given the same version of Samba.

    Bud

    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)

    [global]
    workgroup =
    security = SHARE

    [shared]
    comment = shared directory
    path = /shared
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    available = Yes

  20. Re: Samba

    On 2008-09-09, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 03:52:51 +0000, notbob wrote:
    >> On 2008-09-08, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> You have the current book on your system.
    >>>
    >>> file:///usr/share/swat/help/Samba3-HOWTO/index.html
    >>>

    >> Not the same book as O'Reilly. Also, what the hell is it doing in
    >> /usr/share/swat/yadayada ? What's a "swat"? Why not in /usr/docs?

    > Slackware 12.1 has Samba3 and you pointed to a book for Samba2, not the
    > same thing. Did you even look at the date on that document? So, yes, it
    > is not the same book as O'Reilly.

    My recommendation for the O'Reilly book was because its a well written book
    easilly understandable by newbs. I don't know about the newer samba3
    howto.

    > Read the book and you will find out what "swat" is.

    Kinda like the "chicken or the egg" dilemma. How can I find the book to
    learn what swat is if I don't know to look in swat cuz I don't know what
    swat is. DUH!

    nb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast