Samba - Slackware

This is a discussion on Samba - Slackware ; notbob wrote: > Not the same book as O'Reilly. Also, what the hell is it doing in > /usr/share/swat/yadayada ? What's a "swat"? Why not in /usr/docs? Did you even look in /usr/doc ? kees@lankhmar:~$ ls -l /usr/doc/samba-3.0.32/docs total 24 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: Samba

    notbob wrote:
    > Not the same book as O'Reilly. Also, what the hell is it doing in
    > /usr/share/swat/yadayada ? What's a "swat"? Why not in /usr/docs?

    Did you even look in /usr/doc ?

    kees@lankhmar:~$ ls -l /usr/doc/samba-3.0.32/docs
    total 24
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5780 2008-05-02 16:43 THANKS
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10649 2008-05-02 16:43 history
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2008-09-03 23:20 htmldocs ->
    /usr/share/swat/help/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-05-02 16:43 registry/
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 2008-09-03 23:20 using_samba ->
    /usr/share/swat/using_samba

    (indented lines are wrapped)

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  2. Re: Samba

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:20:15 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > Kinda like the "chicken or the egg" dilemma. How can I find the book to
    > learn what swat is if I don't know to look in swat cuz I don't know what
    > swat is. DUH!
    >
    > nb

    Swat is part of samba. In the future is obsolete.

    --
    Murat D. Kadirov

  3. Re: Samba

    Hallo, Murat,

    Du meintest am 09.09.08:

    >> Kinda like the "chicken or the egg" dilemma. How can I find the
    >> book to learn what swat is if I don't know to look in swat cuz I
    >> don't know what swat is. DUH!

    > Swat is part of samba. In the future is obsolete.

    And "swat" deletes all comments - that's nasty.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  4. Re: Samba

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:20:15 +0000, notbob wrote:
    > On 2008-09-09, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Slackware 12.1 has Samba3 and you pointed to a book for Samba2, not the
    >> same thing. Did you even look at the date on that document? So, yes, it
    >> is not the same book as O'Reilly.

    > My recommendation for the O'Reilly book was because its a well written book
    > easilly understandable by newbs. I don't know about the newer samba3
    > howto.

    While five year old documentation is not entirely useless reliance on that
    documentation can lead one into difficulties.

    >> Read the book and you will find out what "swat" is.

    > Kinda like the "chicken or the egg" dilemma. How can I find the book to
    > learn what swat is if I don't know to look in swat cuz I don't know what
    > swat is. DUH!

    Uncomment the line in /etc/inetd.conf for the Samba Web Administration
    Tool, then 'pkill -HUP inetd'. Now point your browser to
    http://localhost:901.

  5. Re: Samba

    Storm schreef:
    > Can anyone point me to a good tutorial about Samba? I'm trying to set it up
    > as a file server in a Windows network, but without luck. Specifically, I
    > want to share a folder named "data" on another partition, but from any
    > other machine in my network, when I enter \\_machine_name_\data or
    > \\_ip_address_\data I receive the error "the network path was not found".
    > From the slackware box, I can access windows shares on my network just
    > fine.

    For the sake of posterity - these are two articles I wrote about file-
    and printersharing on a network with a Slackware Linux server and
    Linux/Windows clients:

    http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/...lackware:samba
    http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/...slackware:cups

    Eric

  6. Re: Samba

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 06:20:15 +0000, notbob wrote:
    > On 2008-09-09, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Read the book and you will find out what "swat" is.

    > Kinda like the "chicken or the egg" dilemma. How can I find the book to
    > learn what swat is if I don't know to look in swat cuz I don't know what
    > swat is. DUH!

    Obviously you failed even to read the O'Reilly book for which you provided
    a URL. You might have found enlightenment in Chapter 2:

    http://oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/book/ch02.html

    under the headings "Enabling SWAT" and "Using SWAT".

  7. Re: Samba

    "Frank Bell" wrote:
    > The Samba reference that finally helped me get my Samba network working
    > was this,

    > http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

    There is also a very good checklist at:

    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...diagnosis.html

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  8. Re: Samba

    On 2008-09-09, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > Obviously you failed even to read the O'Reilly book for which you provided
    > a URL.

    If I wanted a gui based management tool, I would have stayed with Red Hat.
    I got from the book exactly what I needed, no more, no less. And since I no
    longer even mess with Windows based computers, I have even less need for
    samba, 2 or 3.

    nb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2