CD-ROM locking 12.0, 12.1. - Slackware

This is a discussion on CD-ROM locking 12.0, 12.1. - Slackware ; I'm having a problem with what seems to be the CD-ROM drive locking my system. It's a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop that has run Slackware 8.0-11.0 without issue. The problem started with Slackware 12.0, and it still exists with 12.1. ...

  1. CD-ROM locking 12.0, 12.1.

    I'm having a problem with what seems to be the CD-ROM drive locking my
    system. It's a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop that has run Slackware
    8.0-11.0 without issue. The problem started with Slackware 12.0, and
    it still exists with 12.1. After first encountering it with 12.0, I
    merely reinstalled 11.0, and the problem disappeared; and so I'm
    guessing that the hardware hasn't gone bad. With 12.1, I thought I
    would take a stab at fixing the problem.

    The CD-ROM is one of those that is easily swapped with a floppy drive,
    etc. When I boot the system everything seems to be going OK, but a
    minute or so later the system locks-up. If I pull the CD-ROM drive
    out, then the system unlocks. If I don't reinstall the drive, the
    system will soon lock again until I put it back in. It seems that I
    only need to pull the drive and reinstall it once, and the problem
    disappears until I reboot; Except that I have not been able to access
    the drive to play music or mount a data disk. However I was able to
    install Slack 12.1 with the drive in question; though I did need to
    pull the drive and then reinsert it once during the process, and the
    setup program said it could not find the install disk when looking for
    it automatically while looking for packages. I gave the location
    manually, the setup program then gave me an error saying that it was
    still not accessible, but gave me the option to ignore the error; I
    took that option, and the setup proceeded to install the packages just
    fine.

    Here are some excerpts from various log files:

    /var/log/dmesg:
    Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
    idebus=xx
    PIIX4: IDE controller (0x8086:0x7111 rev 0x01) at PCI slot
    0000:00:07.1
    PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfcd0-0xfcd7, BIOS settings: hdaMA, hdbio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfcd8-0xfcdf, BIOS settings: hdcio, hddio
    Probing IDE interface ide0...
    hda: FUJITSU MHG2102AT, ATA DISK drive
    hda: host max PIO4 wanted PIO255(auto-tune) selected PIO4
    hda: UDMA/33 mode selected
    ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    Probing IDE interface ide1...
    hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1802B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hdc: host max PIO4 wanted PIO255(auto-tune) selected PIO4
    hdc: MWDMA2 mode selected
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    hda: max request size: 128KiB
    hda: 19640880 sectors (10056 MB) w/512KiB Cache, CHS=19485/16/63
    hda: cache flushes not supported
    hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
    hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide

    And /var/log/syslog
    Sep 2 16:48:27 river kernel: ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    Sep 2 16:48:27 river kernel: hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1802B, ATAPI CD/
    DVD-ROM drive
    Sep 2 16:48:27 river kernel: ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    Sep 2 16:48:27 river kernel: ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: DMA interrupt recovery
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: lost interrupt
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x58
    { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x58
    { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x58
    { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x58
    { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
    Sep 2 16:49:52 river kernel: hdc: status error: status=0x58
    { Driv....

    I believe that the messages starting with "hdc: DMA interrupt
    recovery" is the point when the system locks. The subsequent repeating
    pattern goes on til I pull the drive out, I am guessing. These
    particular messages seem to come from the linux/drivers/ide/ directory
    of the linux sources. I don't have the knowledge to say if this is a
    problem in the ide driver or not, so I'm bringing it here to see if
    anyone can help.

    Thanks,
    Chuck

  2. Re: CD-ROM locking 12.0, 12.1.

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 18:41:12 -0700 (PDT), chuck.maes@gmail.com wrote:

    >I'm having a problem with what seems to be the CD-ROM drive locking my
    >system. It's a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop that has run Slackware
    >8.0-11.0 without issue. The problem started with Slackware 12.0, and
    >it still exists with 12.1. After first encountering it with 12.0, I
    >merely reinstalled 11.0, and the problem disappeared; and so I'm
    >guessing that the hardware hasn't gone bad. With 12.1, I thought I
    >would take a stab at fixing the problem.

    You need to recompile the kernel to suit the hardware, slackware-12.0
    and -12.1 have too many conflicting drivers enabled. I have a Toshiba
    laptop that doesn't even boot slack-12.1. So it's back at -11.0 but
    with the latest kernel.

    Grant.
    --
    Cats, no less liquid than their shadows, offer no angles to the wind.

  3. Re: CD-ROM locking 12.0, 12.1.

    chuck.maes@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm having a problem with what seems to be the CD-ROM drive locking my
    > system. It's a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop that has run Slackware
    > 8.0-11.0 without issue. The problem started with Slackware 12.0, and
    > it still exists with 12.1. After first encountering it with 12.0, I
    > merely reinstalled 11.0, and the problem disappeared; and so I'm
    > guessing that the hardware hasn't gone bad. With 12.1, I thought I
    > would take a stab at fixing the problem.

    I had a similar problem with a very old Dell laptop. I noticed the
    entries in the logs relating to DMA, so I simply disabled DMA on that
    device using 'hdparm'.

    I haven't got the machine to hand - but I'm pretty sure that I just
    added something like the following to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

    hdparm -d /dev/hda

    I didn't investigate any further - but the above for me at least
    "masked" the problem.

    Regards,

    Richard

    --
    Richard Corden

  4. Re: CD-ROM locking 12.0, 12.1.

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:45:36 +0200, Richard Corden wrote:

    >chuck.maes@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I'm having a problem with what seems to be the CD-ROM drive locking my
    >> system. It's a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop that has run Slackware
    >> 8.0-11.0 without issue. The problem started with Slackware 12.0, and
    >> it still exists with 12.1. After first encountering it with 12.0, I
    >> merely reinstalled 11.0, and the problem disappeared; and so I'm
    >> guessing that the hardware hasn't gone bad. With 12.1, I thought I
    >> would take a stab at fixing the problem.

    >I had a similar problem with a very old Dell laptop. I noticed the
    >entries in the logs relating to DMA, so I simply disabled DMA on that
    >device using 'hdparm'.

    A far better method is to make sure the correct kernel driver is being
    used to access the CDROM.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  5. Re: CD-ROM locking 12.0, 12.1.

    Grant wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:45:36 +0200, Richard Corden wrote:
    >
    >> chuck.maes@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I'm having a problem with what seems to be the CD-ROM drive locking my
    >>> system. It's a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop that has run Slackware
    >>> 8.0-11.0 without issue. The problem started with Slackware 12.0, and
    >>> it still exists with 12.1. After first encountering it with 12.0, I
    >>> merely reinstalled 11.0, and the problem disappeared; and so I'm
    >>> guessing that the hardware hasn't gone bad. With 12.1, I thought I
    >>> would take a stab at fixing the problem.

    >> I had a similar problem with a very old Dell laptop. I noticed the
    >> entries in the logs relating to DMA, so I simply disabled DMA on that
    >> device using 'hdparm'.

    > A far better method is to make sure the correct kernel driver is being
    > used to access the CDROM.

    Yes - this is far better. Can you help with:

    a) How to know which driver is "correct"

    b) How to specify which driver to use for which device.

    Cheers,

    Richard

    --
    Richard Corden