What is slack not configured for? ...mysql, php? - Slackware

This is a discussion on What is slack not configured for? ...mysql, php? - Slackware ; Dang if I don't recall, but not too well, a blurb in one recent post, something about Pat not configuring apache to not run mysql or php or something like that. Seemed kinda strange to not fully enable LAMP in ...

  1. What is slack not configured for? ...mysql, php?

    Dang if I don't recall, but not too well, a blurb in one recent post,
    something about Pat not configuring apache to not run mysql or php or
    something like that. Seemed kinda strange to not fully enable LAMP in slack,
    or was I misreading it? Whatever it was, I can't find it on grougle and so
    ask your assistance. What was that thread and what did I think I saw?

    nb

  2. Re: What is slack not configured for? ...mysql, php?

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:36:01 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > Dang if I don't recall, but not too well, a blurb in one recent post,
    > something about Pat not configuring apache to not run mysql or php or
    > something like that. Seemed kinda strange to not fully enable LAMP in
    > slack, or was I misreading it? Whatever it was, I can't find it on
    > grougle and so ask your assistance. What was that thread and what did I
    > think I saw?
    >
    > nb

    Is this the thing you're looking for:
    root@darkstar:~# mysql_install_db --user=mysql
    Installing MySQL system tables...
    OK
    Filling help tables...
    OK

    To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy
    support-files/mysql.server to the right place for your system

    PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
    To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h Loki password 'new-password'

    Alternatively you can run:
    /usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation

    which will also give you the option of removing the test
    databases and anonymous user created by default. This is
    strongly recommended for production servers.

    See the manual for more instructions.

    You can start the MySQL daemon with:
    cd /usr ; /usr/bin/mysqld_safe &

    You can test the MySQL daemon with mysql-test-run.pl
    cd mysql-test ; perl mysql-test-run.pl

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  3. Re: What is slack not configured for? ...mysql, php?

    Two Ravens wrote:

    > You can test the MySQL daemon with mysql-test-run.pl
    > cd mysql-test ; perl mysql-test-run.pl

    Also you just need to uncomment one line in http.conf and perhaps add
    index.php as a default document for the php side. Not onerous.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: What is slack not configured for? ...mysql, php?

    notbob wrote:
    > Dang if I don't recall, but not too well, a blurb in one recent post,
    > something about Pat not configuring apache to not run mysql or php or
    > something like that. Seemed kinda strange to not fully enable LAMP in slack,
    > or was I misreading it? Whatever it was, I can't find it on grougle and so
    > ask your assistance. What was that thread and what did I think I saw?
    >
    > nb

    I think it's this message from Res you'r looking for:

    Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:22:58 +1000 (EST)
    From: Res
    Sender: slackware-bounce@ausics.net
    Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
    Subject: Slackware and Apache 2.2.10, ideas

    Folks,
    I have been looking at Slackware's build script for Apache, and it
    seems rather old/cumbersome with many of its configure options (98% of
    them can be eliminated and replaced by one), since Pat does not include
    --with-mysql in his releases (in fairness this only became possible at
    2.2.4 with the separate c file installed, and in a complete single Apache
    source release package due to agreed license changes for 2.2.8+) ..

    I've found simpler and (way) shorter config options lines such as:

    ../configure
    --prefix=/usr|wheverever (or omited for /usr/local/apache .. my fave)
    --enable-so --enable-modules=all --with-included-apr --enable-ssl
    --disable-util-dso (2.2.9)
    --disable-option-checking (2.2.9 - due to newer automake spitting out crap
    that it shouldnt but should be corrected/hidden for 2.2.10)
    --with-mysql

    [snip]

    Regards,

    Kees.