Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1 - Slackware ; There is no option to print on Firefox 3.0.1 installed from slackware- current. In the print dialog, there is an option to print to a file, but nothing else. I have left a message on this thread on Linux Questions: ...

  1. Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1

    There is no option to print on Firefox 3.0.1 installed from slackware-
    current. In the print dialog, there is an option to print to a file, but
    nothing else. I have left a message on this thread on Linux Questions:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...efox-3-cannot-
    print-to-cups-printer-655002/?highlight=firefox+printing

    I am "meetscott" on this site.

    I am running Slackware 12.1 and this is the only package from slackware-
    current I am running.

    I hope someone has an idea on how this can be fixed.

    Thanks, Scott.

  2. Re: Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 00:32:44 +0000, Richard Scott Smith wrote:

    > There is no option to print on Firefox 3.0.1 installed from slackware-
    > current. In the print dialog, there is an option to print to a file, but
    > nothing else. I have left a message on this thread on Linux Questions:
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...efox-3-cannot-
    > print-to-cups-printer-655002/?highlight=firefox+printing
    >
    > I am "meetscott" on this site.
    >
    > I am running Slackware 12.1 and this is the only package from slackware-
    > current I am running.
    >
    > I hope someone has an idea on how this can be fixed.
    >
    > Thanks, Scott.

    There are some differences between your setup and mine, but I see all of
    the CUPS printers from within Firefox 3's print setup dialog. There must
    be some glitch with your system/setup. I would start by eliminating simple
    things: is cups running? can cups be administered via localhost:631, etc.
    I tested that if CUPS is stopped, then only the ps printer is displayed,
    which is the symptom you are reporting.

    As far as the specifics of my setup:
    1. I am using FF 3 on Slackware 12.0. FF3 is as packaged for Slackware
    -current.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:35:38 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 00:32:44 +0000, Richard Scott Smith wrote:
    >
    >> There is no option to print on Firefox 3.0.1 installed from slackware-
    >> current. In the print dialog, there is an option to print to a file,
    >> but nothing else. I have left a message on this thread on Linux
    >> Questions:
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-74/firefox-3-

    cannot-
    >> print-to-cups-printer-655002/?highlight=firefox+printing
    >>
    >> I am "meetscott" on this site.
    >>
    >> I am running Slackware 12.1 and this is the only package from
    >> slackware- current I am running.
    >>
    >> I hope someone has an idea on how this can be fixed.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Scott.
    >>

    > There are some differences between your setup and mine, but I see all of
    > the CUPS printers from within Firefox 3's print setup dialog. There must
    > be some glitch with your system/setup. I would start by eliminating
    > simple things: is cups running? can cups be administered via
    > localhost:631, etc. I tested that if CUPS is stopped, then only the ps
    > printer is displayed, which is the symptom you are reporting.
    >

    > As far as the specifics of my setup:
    > 1. I am using FF 3 on Slackware 12.0. FF3 is as packaged for

    Slackware
    > -current.

    Thanks for the feedback. I'm running 12.1 and lprng, I uninstalled CUPS
    because I've never used it and it was getting in the way of lprng. CUPS
    on 12.0 used to not bother lprng as long as it wasn't running. If it
    was, it would bet picked up first, if it wasn't, lprng would get picked
    up. I found that in the initialization scripts after upgrading to 12.0
    from 11.0. 12.1 required the removal of CUPS.

    I don't understand what is going on with this. I checked the
    CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT and I see that gimp-print was replaced by
    gutenprint. Maybe that has something to do with it. At any rate knowing
    this information gives me some places to look for the problem.

    Scott

  4. Re: Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1

    Richard Scott Smith skrev 2008-09-03:
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:35:38 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 00:32:44 +0000, Richard Scott Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is no option to print on Firefox 3.0.1 installed from slackware-
    >>> current. In the print dialog, there is an option to print to a file,
    >>> but nothing else. I have left a message on this thread on Linux
    >>> Questions:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-74/firefox-3-

    > cannot-
    >>> print-to-cups-printer-655002/?highlight=firefox+printing
    >>>
    >>> I am "meetscott" on this site.
    >>>
    >>> I am running Slackware 12.1 and this is the only package from
    >>> slackware- current I am running.
    >>>
    >>> I hope someone has an idea on how this can be fixed.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Scott.
    >>>

    >> There are some differences between your setup and mine, but I see all of
    >> the CUPS printers from within Firefox 3's print setup dialog. There must
    >> be some glitch with your system/setup. I would start by eliminating
    >> simple things: is cups running? can cups be administered via
    >> localhost:631, etc. I tested that if CUPS is stopped, then only the ps
    >> printer is displayed, which is the symptom you are reporting.
    >>

    >> As far as the specifics of my setup:
    >> 1. I am using FF 3 on Slackware 12.0. FF3 is as packaged for

    > Slackware
    >> -current.

    > Thanks for the feedback. I'm running 12.1 and lprng, I uninstalled CUPS
    > because I've never used it and it was getting in the way of lprng. CUPS
    > on 12.0 used to not bother lprng as long as it wasn't running. If it
    > was, it would bet picked up first, if it wasn't, lprng would get picked
    > up. I found that in the initialization scripts after upgrading to 12.0
    > from 11.0. 12.1 required the removal of CUPS.
    >
    > I don't understand what is going on with this. I checked the
    > CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT and I see that gimp-print was replaced by
    > gutenprint. Maybe that has something to do with it. At any rate knowing
    > this information gives me some places to look for the problem.
    >
    > Scott

    Hello Scott

    this problem is because firefox 3.0 uses the gtk-print system,
    which uses CUPS by default. You need to tell gtk-print that you
    want to use the lprng print-system:

    In /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc just put:
    gtk-print-backends = "lpr,file"

    and you can then print to printer i.e. if you want to
    print to a specific printer, you need to specify it in
    the printmenu in the old unix way "lpr -P someprinter"

    Papersize you need to setup in File -> Pagesetup

    --
    Morten L

  5. Re: Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:33:01 +0000, Morten L wrote:

    > Richard Scott Smith skrev 2008-09-03:

    >> cannot-

    >>> There are some differences between your setup and mine, but I see all
    >>> of the CUPS printers from within Firefox 3's print setup dialog. There
    >>> must be some glitch with your system/setup. I would start by
    >>> eliminating simple things: is cups running? can cups be administered
    >>> via localhost:631, etc. I tested that if CUPS is stopped, then only
    >>> the ps printer is displayed, which is the symptom you are reporting.
    >>>

    >>> As far as the specifics of my setup:
    >>> 1. I am using FF 3 on Slackware 12.0. FF3 is as packaged for

    >> Slackware
    >>> -current.

    >> Thanks for the feedback. I'm running 12.1 and lprng, I uninstalled
    >> CUPS because I've never used it and it was getting in the way of lprng.
    >> CUPS on 12.0 used to not bother lprng as long as it wasn't running.
    >> If it was, it would bet picked up first, if it wasn't, lprng would get
    >> picked up. I found that in the initialization scripts after upgrading
    >> to 12.0 from 11.0. 12.1 required the removal of CUPS.
    >>
    >> I don't understand what is going on with this. I checked the
    >> CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT and I see that gimp-print was replaced by
    >> gutenprint. Maybe that has something to do with it. At any rate
    >> knowing this information gives me some places to look for the problem.
    >>
    >> Scott

    > Hello Scott
    >
    > this problem is because firefox 3.0 uses the gtk-print system, which
    > uses CUPS by default. You need to tell gtk-print that you want to use
    > the lprng print-system:
    >
    > In /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc just put:
    > gtk-print-backends = "lpr,file"
    >
    > and you can then print to printer i.e. if you want to print to a
    > specific printer, you need to specify it in the printmenu in the old
    > unix way "lpr -P someprinter"
    >
    > Papersize you need to setup in File -> Pagesetup

    Thanks for the reply Morten.

    I looked for that file. There are many that are similar in the /etc/
    gtk-2.0, but not he one you specify. So I did a full system grep for
    "gtk-print-backends" and nothing turned up.

    But, what you are telling me makes sense. I think I need to figure out
    how the gtk print system works, and make the necessary adjustments.
    Another user has this same problem (on a different distribution,
    mentioned in the forum on one of my previous posts) and he is using
    CUPS. So it may work for me to install CUPS, but I would rather
    understand how the GTK print system works. That way this other guy's
    problem could be addressed too.

    Scott

  6. Re: Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1

    Richard Scott Smith skrev 2008-09-05:
    > On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:33:01 +0000, Morten L wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Scott Smith skrev 2008-09-03:

    >>> cannot-

    >>> Slackware
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the feedback. I'm running 12.1 and lprng, I uninstalled
    >>> CUPS because I've never used it and it was getting in the way of lprng.
    >>> CUPS on 12.0 used to not bother lprng as long as it wasn't running.
    >>> If it was, it would bet picked up first, if it wasn't, lprng would get
    >>> picked up. I found that in the initialization scripts after upgrading
    >>> to 12.0 from 11.0. 12.1 required the removal of CUPS.
    >>>
    >>> I don't understand what is going on with this. I checked the
    >>> CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT and I see that gimp-print was replaced by
    >>> gutenprint. Maybe that has something to do with it. At any rate
    >>> knowing this information gives me some places to look for the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Scott

    >> Hello Scott
    >>
    >> this problem is because firefox 3.0 uses the gtk-print system, which
    >> uses CUPS by default. You need to tell gtk-print that you want to use
    >> the lprng print-system:
    >>
    >> In /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc just put:
    >> gtk-print-backends = "lpr,file"
    >>
    >> and you can then print to printer i.e. if you want to print to a
    >> specific printer, you need to specify it in the printmenu in the old
    >> unix way "lpr -P someprinter"
    >>
    >> Papersize you need to setup in File -> Pagesetup

    > Thanks for the reply Morten.
    >
    > I looked for that file. There are many that are similar in the /etc/
    > gtk-2.0, but not he one you specify. So I did a full system grep for
    > "gtk-print-backends" and nothing turned up.
    >
    > But, what you are telling me makes sense. I think I need to figure out
    > how the gtk print system works, and make the necessary adjustments.
    > Another user has this same problem (on a different distribution,
    > mentioned in the forum on one of my previous posts) and he is using
    > CUPS. So it may work for me to install CUPS, but I would rather
    > understand how the GTK print system works. That way this other guy's
    > problem could be addressed too.
    >
    > Scott

    I do not know if it makes sense, but it works!!

    You just need to make that file and put the above mentioned line
    into to that file. there is no other ajustments needed.

    Why not try: It takes no more than 30 seconds.
    And one second to remove it again!!

    I use lprng and firefox 3.0 both on a 12.0 and a 12.1 slack install
    and are happily print on thoses machines.

    --
    Morten L

  7. Re: Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 16:25:19 +0000, Morten L wrote:

    > Richard Scott Smith skrev 2008-09-05:

    >>> Hello Scott
    >>>
    >>> this problem is because firefox 3.0 uses the gtk-print system, which
    >>> uses CUPS by default. You need to tell gtk-print that you want to use
    >>> the lprng print-system:
    >>>
    >>> In /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc just put:
    >>> gtk-print-backends = "lpr,file"
    >>>
    >>> and you can then print to printer i.e. if you want to print to a
    >>> specific printer, you need to specify it in the printmenu in the old
    >>> unix way "lpr -P someprinter"
    >>>
    >>> Papersize you need to setup in File -> Pagesetup

    >> Thanks for the reply Morten.
    >>
    >> I looked for that file. There are many that are similar in the /etc/
    >> gtk-2.0, but not he one you specify. So I did a full system grep for
    >> "gtk-print-backends" and nothing turned up.
    >>
    >> But, what you are telling me makes sense. I think I need to figure out
    >> how the gtk print system works, and make the necessary adjustments.
    >> Another user has this same problem (on a different distribution,
    >> mentioned in the forum on one of my previous posts) and he is using
    >> CUPS. So it may work for me to install CUPS, but I would rather
    >> understand how the GTK print system works. That way this other guy's
    >> problem could be addressed too.
    >>
    >> Scott

    > I do not know if it makes sense, but it works!!
    >
    > You just need to make that file and put the above mentioned line into to
    > that file. there is no other ajustments needed.
    >
    > Why not try: It takes no more than 30 seconds. And one second to remove
    > it again!!
    >
    > I use lprng and firefox 3.0 both on a 12.0 and a 12.1 slack install and
    > are happily print on thoses machines.

    Morten!! You are the man!!

    I can't believe it! I don't understand it, but it worked! Way to go!
    Thank you!

    Scott

  8. Re: Firefox 3 Printing Slackware 12.1

    where have i put this
    unix way "lpr -P someprinter"
    To see the to printers in firefox
    Now i mot in gtkrc the line
    gtk-print-backbands="lpr,file"
    But this can only print to 1 printer
    And need to proint to 2 printers in fitrefox 3.6

+ Reply to Thread