gnucash or similar in slackware - Slackware

This is a discussion on gnucash or similar in slackware - Slackware ; Hello everybody, I tried installing gnucash on slackware 12.1 and found it to be a nightmare. Actually I stranded on gware.org and gnomeslackbuild.org for installing gnome. This seems to be a huge install for a single programm. Please recommend programms ...

  1. gnucash or similar in slackware

    Hello everybody,

    I tried installing gnucash on slackware 12.1 and found it to be a
    nightmare. Actually I stranded on gware.org and gnomeslackbuild.org for
    installing gnome. This seems to be a huge install for a single programm.

    Please recommend programms with similar functionality like gnucash, but
    with lesser installation efford.

    Yours sincerely

    Eric Böse-Wolf

  2. Re: gnucash or similar in slackware

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:24:32 +0200, Eric Böse-Wolf wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I tried installing gnucash on slackware 12.1 and found it to be a
    > nightmare. Actually I stranded on gware.org and gnomeslackbuild.org for
    > installing gnome. This seems to be a huge install for a single programm.
    >
    > Please recommend programms with similar functionality like gnucash, but
    > with lesser installation efford.
    >
    > Yours sincerely
    >
    > Eric Böse-Wolf

    GnomeSlackBuild claims to have a working gnucash package, but I haven't
    tried it. I would try that route first, based on my experience below.

    Just for grins, I attempted to compile gnucash 2.2.6 on my system
    (Dropline Gnome on Slackware 12.0.) This did not result in success (yet).
    I googled the errors that crop up along the way and see they are fairly
    common. Apparently, a very big hammer is required to get gnucash to
    compile from source. I think I'll give up for now.

    I added these dependancies (beyond base dropline 2.20)
    1. SLIB (required some tweaking)
    2. goffice
    3. g-wrap (not sure this is actually installed correctly)
    4. gnucash configure fails with this:

    checking for libgtkhtml-3.14... no
    configure: error: Goffice uses Cairo/GtkPrint but didn't find GtkHTML with
    GtkPrint support

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: gnucash or similar in slackware

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:24:32 +0200, Eric Böse-Wolf wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I tried installing gnucash on slackware 12.1 and found it to be a
    > nightmare. Actually I stranded on gware.org and gnomeslackbuild.org for
    > installing gnome. This seems to be a huge install for a single programm.

    You could try and install Gnome Slacky, from slacky.eu. Unlike
    Gware, Dropline, etc. it is not intrusive, the installation process is
    tricial, it does not render Slackware unstable, and it works out of the
    box.

  4. Re: gnucash or similar in slackware

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:25:38 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:24:32 +0200, Eric Böse-Wolf wrote:
    >
    >> Hello everybody,
    >>
    >> I tried installing gnucash on slackware 12.1 and found it to be a
    >> nightmare. Actually I stranded on gware.org and gnomeslackbuild.org for
    >> installing gnome. This seems to be a huge install for a single programm.
    >>
    >> Please recommend programms with similar functionality like gnucash, but
    >> with lesser installation efford.
    >>
    >> Yours sincerely
    >>
    >> Eric Böse-Wolf
    >>

    > GnomeSlackBuild claims to have a working gnucash package, but I haven't
    > tried it. I would try that route first, based on my experience below.
    >
    > Just for grins, I attempted to compile gnucash 2.2.6 on my system
    > (Dropline Gnome on Slackware 12.0.) This did not result in success (yet).
    > I googled the errors that crop up along the way and see they are fairly
    > common. Apparently, a very big hammer is required to get gnucash to
    > compile from source. I think I'll give up for now.
    >
    > I added these dependancies (beyond base dropline 2.20)
    > 1. SLIB (required some tweaking)
    > 2. goffice
    > 3. g-wrap (not sure this is actually installed correctly)
    > 4. gnucash configure fails with this:
    >
    > checking for libgtkhtml-3.14... no
    > configure: error: Goffice uses Cairo/GtkPrint but didn't find GtkHTML with
    > GtkPrint support

    Continuing after finding a small sledge hammer...

    First, it was my fault because I missed installing this Dropline package:
    gtkhtml-3.16.3-i686-1dl

    With this package installed the source builds. Here is a screenshot of the
    initial setup:
    http://www.xmission.com/~ddmayne2/mi...8-08-30.01.png

    I elected to use the default prefix of /usr/local to avoid interfering
    with my setup (just in case something went wrong, etc.) I believe the
    install required about 59M (as measured by du -sh /usr/local)

    As mentioned, the SLIB required a bit of tweaking. Here are some general
    instructions which were required to get guile/slib finally configured.

    The setup for slib v. 3b1 on guile v. 1.8.5 required a bit of tweaking.
    The directory below must exist and the symbolic link must be set:

    $ mkdir /usr/local/share/guile/site
    $ (cd /usr/local/lib/slib && ln -s mklibcat.scm mklibcat)

    After which it can be configured, per the other instructions:
    $ guile
    guile> (use-module (ice-9 slib))
    guile> (require 'new-catalog)
    guile> (quit)

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  5. Re: gnucash or similar in slackware

    eric.boese-wolf@uni-ulm.de (Eric Bse-Wolf) writes:

    > Please recommend programms with similar functionality like gnucash, but
    > with lesser installation efford.

    I am a heay user of ledger which is great and does not need tons
    of dependancies to be installed. I have a slackbuild if you are
    interested. What's great with ledger is that it also can be
    interfaced in several emacs mode such as org-mode for example.
    Though you do not need emacs to take all the power of ledger.

    Regards

  6. Re: gnucash or similar in slackware

    Thanks for all the answers!

    I finally managed to compile gnucash on the basis of gware.org (also
    unintrusive, but I will switch to slacky.eu sometimes) and goffice 0.6
    (it didn't compile with 0.7).

    Eric

  7. Re: gnucash or similar in slackware

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:24:32 +0200, Eric Bse-Wolf wrote:

    > Please recommend programms with similar functionality like gnucash, but
    > with lesser installation efford.

    Here are some suggestions, Eric.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...nting_software

    http://www.ossramblings.com/cbtracker

    http://qhacc.sourceforge.net/

    http://www.codelathe.com/mmex/

    http://buddi.thecave.homeunix.org/en/

    http://jgnash.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

    http://gfd.sourceforge.net/
    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  8. Re: gnucash or similar in slackware

    eric.boese-wolf@uni-ulm.de (Eric Bse-Wolf) writes:

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I tried installing gnucash on slackware 12.1 and found it to be a
    > nightmare. Actually I stranded on gware.org and gnomeslackbuild.org for
    > installing gnome. This seems to be a huge install for a single programm.
    >
    > Please recommend programms with similar functionality like gnucash, but
    > with lesser installation efford.
    >
    > Yours sincerely
    >
    > Eric Bse-Wolf

    I have done it successfully, but as you note it requires a gnome
    installation, I have used gware.org. I have a gnucash slackware
    package available at:

    http://nic-nac-project.org/~lwedding/slackware-12.1/

    Also two additional packages are required (also available at that
    link):
    - slib
    - goffice

    I have also added the slib package to http://www.linuxpackages.net/, and
    plan to add the others when I get around to it.

    --
    Leigh Wedding
    leigh.wedding@telstra.DELETE-this.com

+ Reply to Thread