SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps) - Slackware

This is a discussion on SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps) - Slackware ; A few weeks back I had tried to get the Slackware port installed on an old Sun Workstation. Though when configuring Xorg, the Sun video card was properly detected, the problem I had was lack of "pointing device" and the ...

  1. SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps)

    A few weeks back I had tried to get the Slackware port installed on an old
    Sun Workstation.

    Though when configuring Xorg, the Sun video card was properly detected,
    the problem I had was lack of "pointing device" and the loading of the
    x-server failed.

    Though I had also tried to install Debian, I could not due to an obsolete cd
    rom
    which I finally replaced and got the installation to complete.

    Ironically Xorg detected and installed the mouse ok, but the x-server
    due to lack of "screens".

    I eventually created a new xorg.conf using the proper mouse
    and the proper video...and got the Debian x-server to work

    But using the same xorg.conf on the "Splack" installation
    still ended up with lack of "pointing device"

    So who ever told me politely that perhaps "Splack" was a bit to much for my
    abilities...

    You were right!

    Though I will probably keep trying

  2. Re: SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps)

    "philo" wrote in message
    > A few weeks back I had tried to get the Slackware port installed on an old
    > Sun Workstation.
    >
    > Though when configuring Xorg, the Sun video card was properly detected,
    > the problem I had was lack of "pointing device" and the loading of the
    > x-server failed.
    >
    > Though I had also tried to install Debian, I could not due to an obsolete

    cd
    > rom
    > which I finally replaced and got the installation to complete.
    >
    > Ironically Xorg detected and installed the mouse ok, but the x-server
    > due to lack of "screens".
    >
    > I eventually created a new xorg.conf using the proper mouse
    > and the proper video...and got the Debian x-server to work
    >
    > But using the same xorg.conf on the "Splack" installation
    > still ended up with lack of "pointing device"
    >
    > So who ever told me politely that perhaps "Splack" was a bit to much for

    my
    > abilities...
    >
    > You were right!
    >

    > Though I will probably keep trying

    I finally got it
    but had to use a serial mouse

    sheesh

  3. Re: SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps)

    philo wrote:

    > I finally got it but had to use a serial mouse

    Now what was it I'd written a while back? Ah! Here it is:

    Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:21:46 +0000 (UTC)
    A quick look at drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig on a relatively recent
    kernel tree, though, shows this, which might help:

    config MOUSE_SERIAL
    tristate "Serial mouse"
    select SERIO
    help
    Say Y here if you have a serial (RS-232, COM port) mouse
    connected to your system. This includes Sun, MouseSystems,
    Microsoft, Logitech and all other compatible serial mice.

    Indeed drivers/input/mouse/sermouse.c is the only source file with
    reference to the Sun mouse protocol.

    :-)

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  4. Re: SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps)

    "Sylvain Robitaille" wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >
    > > I finally got it but had to use a serial mouse

    > Now what was it I'd written a while back? Ah! Here it is:
    >
    > Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:21:46 +0000 (UTC)
    > A quick look at drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig on a relatively recent
    > kernel tree, though, shows this, which might help:
    >
    > config MOUSE_SERIAL
    > tristate "Serial mouse"
    > select SERIO
    > help
    > Say Y here if you have a serial (RS-232, COM port) mouse
    > connected to your system. This includes Sun, MouseSystems,
    > Microsoft, Logitech and all other compatible serial mice.
    >
    > Indeed drivers/input/mouse/sermouse.c is the only source file with
    > reference to the Sun mouse protocol.
    >
    > :-)

    Indeed, you have been extremely helpful and I thank you.

    Now that I have the x-server up and running another problem has turned up.

    The keyboard map is all wrong in the GUI mode.

    I am using a Sun keyboard type 5c

    but no matter how I identify it in "XkbModel"

    it does not seem to make a difference ; viz. "type4" , "type5" ,
    "pc101" etc

    Taking the info from my working Debian installation

    for "XkbLayout" I simply used "us"

    the configuration was 100% *incorrect* !

    In frustration I changed "XkbLayout" to "US"

    and surprisingly got about a 60% correspondence ! LOL

    any ideas?

    Thanks!

  5. Re: SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps)

    On 08/30/08 10:54, philo wrote:

    > Now that I have the x-server up and running another problem has
    > turned up.
    >
    > The keyboard map is all wrong in the GUI mode.
    >
    > I am using a Sun keyboard type 5c but no matter how I identify it
    > in "XkbModel" it does not seem to make a difference ; viz.
    > "type4" , "type5" , "pc101" etc
    >
    > Taking the info from my working Debian installation for "XkbLayout"
    > I simply used "us" the configuration was 100% *incorrect* !
    >
    > In frustration I changed "XkbLayout" to "US" and surprisingly
    > got about a 60% correspondence ! LOL
    >
    > any ideas?

    The directory /etc/X11/kbd contains the files used to setup a working
    configuration for keyboard. Look there and try which setup is best
    for you. You can even build a driver for your own keyboard.

    In the old releases I remember using a nice README to setup the
    correct keyboard but I can't find it anymore. It seems that it is not
    present in the distribution since Slackware 12.0 but it is in the x11
    package of Slackware 11.0

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  6. Re: SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps)

    "Giovanni" wrote in message
    > On 08/30/08 10:54, philo wrote:
    >
    > > Now that I have the x-server up and running another problem has
    > > turned up.
    > >
    > > The keyboard map is all wrong in the GUI mode.
    > >
    > > I am using a Sun keyboard type 5c but no matter how I identify it
    > > in "XkbModel" it does not seem to make a difference ; viz.
    > > "type4" , "type5" , "pc101" etc
    > >
    > > Taking the info from my working Debian installation for "XkbLayout"
    > > I simply used "us" the configuration was 100% *incorrect* !
    > >
    > > In frustration I changed "XkbLayout" to "US" and surprisingly
    > > got about a 60% correspondence ! LOL
    > >
    > > any ideas?

    > The directory /etc/X11/kbd contains the files used to setup a working
    > configuration for keyboard. Look there and try which setup is best
    > for you. You can even build a driver for your own keyboard.
    >
    > In the old releases I remember using a nice README to setup the
    > correct keyboard but I can't find it anymore. It seems that it is not
    > present in the distribution since Slackware 12.0 but it is in the x11
    > package of Slackware 11.0
    >
    > Ciao
    > Giovanni

    I'll have to do some serious research...as I have tried all layouts that
    seemed reasonably appropriate
    thank you!

  7. Re: SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps)

    "philo" wrote:
    > I'll have to do some serious research...as I have tried all layouts that
    > seemed reasonably appropriate
    > thank you!

    Maybe another approach would work better for you?:

    xmodmap -pke > /tmp/current.map
    (use your favorite editor to edit /tmp/current.map,
    xev might also be useful)
    xmodmap /tmp/current.map

    Once you get a keyboard mapping that you like you can rename the file
    current.map to some place where it is read by your startup scripts like

    ~/.Xmodmap

    or maybe

    /etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

    Check your X startup scripts for which files are read.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  8. Re: SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps)

    "Henrik Carlqvist" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.09.01.06.13.16.826229@deadspam.com...
    > "philo" wrote:
    > > I'll have to do some serious research...as I have tried all layouts that
    > > seemed reasonably appropriate
    > > thank you!

    > Maybe another approach would work better for you?:
    >
    > xmodmap -pke > /tmp/current.map
    > (use your favorite editor to edit /tmp/current.map,
    > xev might also be useful)
    > xmodmap /tmp/current.map
    >
    > Once you get a keyboard mapping that you like you can rename the file
    > current.map to some place where it is read by your startup scripts like
    >
    > ~/.Xmodmap
    >
    > or maybe
    >
    > /etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap
    >
    > Check your X startup scripts for which files are read.
    >
    > regards Henrik

    Thanks for the suggestion, I've printed it out for reference.

    I have the machine off my work-bench now
    as I have two more I'm working on that have higher priority.

    When I get back to the Sun Workstation I'll investegate further

    I was actually creating aliases so that I could run the apps I had wanted to
    try...
    by using the rows of keys that were mapped correctly

    The biggest problem was that the lowest row of keys did nothing at all!

  9. Re: SPARC (OT post resolved, perhaps)

    "philo" wrote in message

    > "Henrik Carlqvist" wrote in message
    > newsan.2008.09.01.06.13.16.826229@deadspam.com...
    > > "philo" wrote:
    > > > I'll have to do some serious research...as I have tried all layouts

    that
    > > > seemed reasonably appropriate
    > > > thank you!

    > > Maybe another approach would work better for you?:
    > >
    > > xmodmap -pke > /tmp/current.map
    > > (use your favorite editor to edit /tmp/current.map,
    > > xev might also be useful)
    > > xmodmap /tmp/current.map
    > >
    > > Once you get a keyboard mapping that you like you can rename the file
    > > current.map to some place where it is read by your startup scripts like
    > >
    > > ~/.Xmodmap
    > >
    > > or maybe
    > >
    > > /etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap
    > >
    > > Check your X startup scripts for which files are read.
    > >
    > > regards Henrik

    > Thanks for the suggestion, I've printed it out for reference.
    >
    > I have the machine off my work-bench now
    > as I have two more I'm working on that have higher priority.
    >
    > When I get back to the Sun Workstation I'll investegate further
    >
    > I was actually creating aliases so that I could run the apps I had wanted

    > try...
    > by using the rows of keys that were mapped correctly
    >
    > The biggest problem was that the lowest row of keys did nothing at all!

    Well, I got all my repairs done in record time (thought I'd have my bench
    tied up for a few days)
    and put the Sun Workstation back on the bench...and I am not making much
    progress.

    IF I set XkbLayout to "us" or "en_US"

    the mapping is 100% wrong...

    but if I "rem" out the XkbLaypout option, then it's about 60% right...
    but the bottom row of keys does nothing!

    I've now shut the machine down and will have to give up again
    for now

+ Reply to Thread