Texas Instruments chipset card reader - Slackware

This is a discussion on Texas Instruments chipset card reader - Slackware ; I have a Texas instruments chipset card reader on my laptop and the model is PCI1620 accroding to my lspci output. here is the related output: 02:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1620 PC Card Controller (rev 01) 02:09.1 CardBus bridge: ...

  1. Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    I have a Texas instruments chipset card reader on my laptop and the model
    is PCI1620 accroding to my lspci output.

    here is the related output:

    02:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1620 PC Card Controller (rev
    01)
    02:09.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1620 PC Card Controller (rev
    01)
    02:09.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments PCI1620 Firmware Loading
    Function (rev 01)

    when i did some google search i figured out that i need a firmware for it
    to work cuz when i load all the modules required to read my mmc card to
    be recognized by the card reader, nothing happens as far as i can see at
    log files when i insert the card.

    i found the windows driver for it so is there any chance for me to make
    this work for my slack box?

  2. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    See if you can run it in Wine, Cedega, or VMWare, stranger things have
    happened.

    Possibilities are endless:
    install windows on extra hd,
    resizefs and install in free space temporarily
    install on flash if your bios supports booting of flash (though
    there are work around to boot of flash I believe)
    make a windows boot disk (UBCD's still around), use that

  3. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    My bad about last post, misread what you said.:

    Here's a link on how to set up PCI1620 (it's on gentoo-wiki, but it'll
    work on slack):
    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Texa...ry_card_reader

  4. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:59:16 -0700, Lev wrote:

    > My bad about last post, misread what you said.:
    >
    > Here's a link on how to set up PCI1620 (it's on gentoo-wiki, but it'll
    > work on slack):
    > http://gentoo-wiki.com/

    HARDWARE_Texas_Instruments_PCI1620_Cardbus_Control ler_with_a_4_in_1_memory_card_reader

    thats what i have been working on.

    according to this web site, i found the firmware called tiumf.bin but
    actually couldnt get what pci1620.bin is comming from...

    i guess i misunderstanding some directions in there plus the decoder code
    is giving me errors..

    gcc -o fwdecode fwdecode.cpp should be the command right?

    barkink

  5. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    > according to this web site, i found the firmware called tiumf.bin
    tiumf.bin is in sp29116.exe/TI_1620_27(Raptor)/Windows/tiinst
    (sp29116.exe is a cab archive)
    you can download sp29116.exe here:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport..._I22147-106473

    > but actually couldnt get what pci1620.bin is comming from...

    pci1620.bin is the output file for the firmware fwdecode prog (it is
    the actual firmware)
    The key seems to be 0xFF, but the fwdecode prog brute forces it

    > i guess i misunderstanding some directions in there plus the decoder code
    > is giving me errors..

    Post the errors back

    > gcc -o fwdecode fwdecode.cpp should be the command right?

    I would use:
    g++ -Wall fwdecode.cpp -o fwdecode
    you would generally have -o as last argument on command line (o is
    for output)
    -Wall lets you see the all errors that come up (usually helps in
    diagnosing problem)

  6. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    Compiled fwdecode on mingw32 g++ without errors
    Ran without errors
    Key was 0xdf, from the link I gave earlier

    No errors

    firmware - http://uppit.com/7S0Z6A

  7. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:33:04 -0700, Lev wrote:

    >> according to this web site, i found the firmware called tiumf.bin

    > tiumf.bin is in sp29116.exe/TI_1620_27(Raptor)/Windows/tiinst
    > (sp29116.exe is a cab archive)
    > you can download sp29116.exe here:
    >
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/

    SoftwareDescription.jsp?
    lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=376810&prodNameId=376812&swEnvOID=1059&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=PSG_I22147-106473

    >> but actually couldnt get what pci1620.bin is comming from...

    > pci1620.bin is the output file for the firmware fwdecode prog (it is the
    > actual firmware)
    > The key seems to be 0xFF, but the fwdecode prog brute forces it
    >
    >> i guess i misunderstanding some directions in there plus the decoder
    >> code is giving me errors..

    > Post the errors back
    >
    >> gcc -o fwdecode fwdecode.cpp should be the command right?

    > I would use:
    > g++ -Wall fwdecode.cpp -o fwdecode
    > you would generally have -o as last argument on command line (o is
    > for output)
    > -Wall lets you see the all errors that come up (usually helps in
    > diagnosing problem)

    thanks for upload. i guess i dont need to compile the firmware right?

    so i should go on to steps on gentoo's wiki?

  8. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:33:04 -0700, Lev wrote:

    >> according to this web site, i found the firmware called tiumf.bin

    > tiumf.bin is in sp29116.exe/TI_1620_27(Raptor)/Windows/tiinst
    > (sp29116.exe is a cab archive)
    > you can download sp29116.exe here:
    >
    > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/

    SoftwareDescription.jsp?
    lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=376810&prodNameId=376812&swEnvOID=1059&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=PSG_I22147-106473

    >> but actually couldnt get what pci1620.bin is comming from...

    > pci1620.bin is the output file for the firmware fwdecode prog (it is the
    > actual firmware)
    > The key seems to be 0xFF, but the fwdecode prog brute forces it
    >
    >> i guess i misunderstanding some directions in there plus the decoder
    >> code is giving me errors..

    > Post the errors back
    >
    >> gcc -o fwdecode fwdecode.cpp should be the command right?

    > I would use:
    > g++ -Wall fwdecode.cpp -o fwdecode
    > you would generally have -o as last argument on command line (o is
    > for output)
    > -Wall lets you see the all errors that come up (usually helps in
    > diagnosing problem)

    Yes i changed the compiler to g++ and i got no error back and i had my
    fwdecode program. i tought maybe u should know, thank you

  9. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    If you want to compile it and get firmware yourself, that's about a
    minute more work, I provided it for you, but that's just as a last
    resort (I would do it myself, because Uppit has sometimes corrupted
    files, so just to be safe you should do it on your own comp).

    If fwdecode compiles, then you should be able to do it yourself (less
    than 2 seconds or so to run it on an athlonxp 2500+, after all it's
    just going through 255 numbers).

    One thing though, use the cab file from the download i gave you, I
    found same one online elsewhere, but it was a older version (2002
    versus 2004, the 2004 one allows for 1 gig SD card support I believe).

    Report back if you run into any other problems with the gentoo-wiki
    guide, others have had problems compiling pata_pci1620

  10. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    > thanks for upload. i guess i dont need to compile the firmware right?
    Welcome, I would use your own though (in case file was corrupted on
    Uppit, it happens sometimes). You don't compile the firmware, the
    pci1620.bin (it's a binary, already compiled from whatever it was
    written in) is the firmware itself

    > so i should go on to steps on gentoo's wiki?

    If you have any problems, report back here (with errors)

  11. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 01:30:35 -0700, Lev wrote:

    >> thanks for upload. i guess i dont need to compile the firmware right?

    > Welcome, I would use your own though (in case file was corrupted on
    > Uppit, it happens sometimes). You don't compile the firmware, the
    > pci1620.bin (it's a binary, already compiled from whatever it was
    > written in) is the firmware itself
    >
    >> so i should go on to steps on gentoo's wiki?

    > If you have any problems, report back here (with errors)

    Ok what i did is:

    i decoded firware as my own after i got the windows driver at Hp's website

    i moved pci1620.bin firmware to /lib/firmware directory

    then i prepared the files as Makefile tiumfwl.c and pata_pci1620.c

    barkink@jaswill:~/texas$ ls
    Makefile pata_pci1620.c tiumfwl.c

    then i gave make as a command

    barkink@jaswill:~/texas$ make
    make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.24.5 M=/home/barkink/texas modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.5'
    CC [M] /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.o
    /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c: In function 'tiumfwl_init':
    /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c:253: error: 'Makefile' undeclared (first
    use in this function)
    /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c:253: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
    reported only once
    /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c:253: error: for each function it appears
    in.)
    /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c:254: error: expected ';' before 'return'
    make[2]: *** [/home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/barkink/texas] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24.5'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

    this is what i got...

    any clue?

  12. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    > /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c: In function 'tiumfwl_init':
    > /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c:253: error: 'Makefile' undeclared (first
    > use in this function)

    static int __init tiumfwl_init(void)
    {
    /* in kernel <= 2.6.21 use return
    pci_module_init(&tiumfwl_driver); instead */
    return pci_register_driver(&tiumfwl_driver);
    }
    As you can see there's no "Makefile"... I'm not sure where that's
    coming from...

    > /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c:254: error: expected ';' before 'return'

    not sure why it's asking for a ;...

    > make[2]: *** [/home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.o] Error 1
    > make[1]: *** [_module_/home/barkink/texas] Error 2
    > make: *** [all] Error 2

    I can't seem to find what these errors mean...

    I am going to be back on my slack system within a few days, so I'll be
    able to look more into this.

  13. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:14:36 -0700, Lev wrote:

    >> /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c: In function 'tiumfwl_init':
    >> /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c:253: error: 'Makefile' undeclared (first
    >> use in this function)

    > static int __init tiumfwl_init(void)
    > {
    > /* in kernel <= 2.6.21 use return
    > pci_module_init(&tiumfwl_driver); instead */
    > return pci_register_driver(&tiumfwl_driver);
    > }
    > As you can see there's no "Makefile"... I'm not sure where that's
    > coming from...
    >
    >> /home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.c:254: error: expected ';' before 'return'

    > not sure why it's asking for a ;...
    >
    >> make[2]: *** [/home/barkink/texas/tiumfwl.o] Error 1 make[1]: ***
    >> [_module_/home/barkink/texas] Error 2 make: *** [all] Error 2

    > I can't seem to find what these errors mean...
    >
    > I am going to be back on my slack system within a few days, so I'll be
    > able to look more into this.

    ok then.

    i have added your email address as a gmail chat contact not sure if it is
    ok with or even you are using it but just in case

    thank you so much

  14. Re: Texas Instruments chipset card reader

    I haven't had any luck with TI internal card readers for my Compaq
    R3000. I probably gave up one try too early. You know how that goes.

+ Reply to Thread