Dell Optiplex 745 - Will not reboot - Slackware

This is a discussion on Dell Optiplex 745 - Will not reboot - Slackware ; Hello, and a good day to you all. I have a small problem that I can not seem to figure out. I have just installed Slack 12.1 on a Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop. The box is all stock, but with ...

  1. Dell Optiplex 745 - Will not reboot

    Hello, and a good day to you all. I have a small problem that I can not
    seem to figure out.

    I have just installed Slack 12.1 on a Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop. The
    box is all stock, but with a 4Gig ram upgrade.

    The install went fine, and Slack is working properly. My problem is
    when I tell the machine to reboot ( shutdown -r now ) it goes
    through the process of shutting down, but gets stuck at "Restarting System."

    I then have to manually power down the box, and restart it via the power
    button.

    This machine will soon be headless, and is intended to run inter-company
    web applications & things of that nature.

    Any thoughts why it freezes at "Restarting System.", or what I might do
    to correct this would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank You Very Much!

    Robert De Mars
    --

    A man without an answer
    Is like a bird with broken wings

  2. Re: Dell Optiplex 745 - Will not reboot

    Bob De Mars wrote:
    > Hello, and a good day to you all. I have a small problem that I can not
    > seem to figure out.
    >
    > I have just installed Slack 12.1 on a Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop. The
    > box is all stock, but with a 4Gig ram upgrade.
    >
    > The install went fine, and Slack is working properly. My problem is
    > when I tell the machine to reboot ( shutdown -r now ) it goes
    > through the process of shutting down, but gets stuck at "Restarting
    > System."

    I needed 'CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y' (and related ACPI) for 12.1 to allow
    normal shutdown (init 0) to actually turn power off (Asus M2A-VM board)

    Also in 'CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT':

    > If you have an older machine (with a BIOS released prior to 2001) and it will
    > not power off on shutdown, try adding this to your kernel's lilo stanza:
    > append = "acpi=force"

    Cheers,

  3. Re: Dell Optiplex 745 - Will not reboot

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:14:01 -0500, Bob De Mars wrote:

    > Hello, and a good day to you all. I have a small problem that I can not
    > seem to figure out.
    >
    > I have just installed Slack 12.1 on a Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop. The
    > box is all stock, but with a 4Gig ram upgrade.
    >
    > The install went fine, and Slack is working properly. My problem is
    > when I tell the machine to reboot ( shutdown -r now ) it goes
    > through the process of shutting down, but gets stuck at "Restarting
    > System."
    >
    > I then have to manually power down the box, and restart it via the power
    > button.
    >
    > This machine will soon be headless, and is intended to run inter-company
    > web applications & things of that nature.
    >
    > Any thoughts why it freezes at "Restarting System.", or what I might do
    > to correct this would be greatly appreciated.

    Try add 'reboot=b' to boot-time kernel option(s)

    --
    Murat D. Kadirov

+ Reply to Thread