    TIA

    = Me =

  2. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    On 2008-08-23, MrMe wrote:
    > I opened a sound editor/converter - GoldWave - via wine ( my first
    > attempt ) off my windoz2k partition and pulled a tune into it. There was
    > no sound. I closed the wine window and pulled the same tune into Amarok
    > and sure enough no sound ( or barely audible if any ). Even system sounds
    > like the KDE startup tune were barely audible.
    >
    > How do I get sound back.? It was ok before firing up GoldWave ...

    Try alsaconf from CLI, then try alsamixer.

    nb

  3. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:06:41 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > alsaconf

    Thanks ... That was it. Working once more.

    = Me =

  4. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    MrMe trolled:

    > I opened a sound editor/converter - GoldWave - via wine ( my first
    > attempt ) off my windoz2k partition and pulled a tune into it.
    > There was no sound.

    We have to ask: why would anyone run an application under wine,
    especially when the person had a windoze partition on their drive?
    Why not just run windoze?

    And why would anyone bugger around with sound on linux, especially
    if they have a windoze partition on the same computer?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  5. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:02:26 +0000, rm wrote:

    > MrMe trolled:
    >
    >> I opened a sound editor/converter - GoldWave - via wine ( my first
    >> attempt ) off my windoz2k partition and pulled a tune into it.
    >> There was no sound.

    > We have to ask: why would anyone run an application under wine,
    > especially when the person had a windoze partition on their drive?
    > Why not just run windoze?
    >
    > And why would anyone bugger around with sound on linux, especially
    > if they have a windoze partition on the same computer?
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    Well, it's like solitaire... I like to play it sometimes but I just
    don't want to reboot to doz just to play it. I wine it while
    booted Slack and am still trying to beat my best game: 104.

    I have an mp3 song that just has no volume to it. I wanted to
    burn it on a cd with 14 others whose volume is average. But that one
    song is a mere whisper compared to the others. I wanted to increase
    it's volume with GoldWave, file it with the louder volume comparable
    to the rest without having to go through a boot process, raise it's
    volume, file it, and then reboot linux, copy the file over, etc.

    Does that answer the question.. ?

    = Me =

  6. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    MrMe wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 01:02:26 +0000, rm wrote:
    >
    >> MrMe trolled:
    >>
    >>> I opened a sound editor/converter - GoldWave - via wine ( my first
    >>> attempt ) off my windoz2k partition and pulled a tune into it.
    >>> There was no sound.

    >> We have to ask: why would anyone run an application under wine,
    >> especially when the person had a windoze partition on their drive?
    >> Why not just run windoze?
    >>
    >> And why would anyone bugger around with sound on linux, especially
    >> if they have a windoze partition on the same computer?
    >>
    >> cordially, as always,
    >>
    >> rm

    > Well, it's like solitaire... I like to play it sometimes but I just
    > don't want to reboot to doz just to play it. I wine it while
    > booted Slack and am still trying to beat my best game: 104.
    >
    > I have an mp3 song that just has no volume to it. I wanted to
    > burn it on a cd with 14 others whose volume is average. But that one
    > song is a mere whisper compared to the others. I wanted to increase
    > it's volume with GoldWave, file it with the louder volume comparable
    > to the rest without having to go through a boot process, raise it's
    > volume, file it, and then reboot linux, copy the file over, etc.
    >
    > Does that answer the question.. ?

    That only begs more questions.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    - Daniel

  7. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    D Herring wrote:

    > That only begs more questions.

    s/begs/raises/g

  8. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    MrMe wrote:

    > I have an mp3 song that just has no volume to it. I wanted to burn
    > it on a cd with 14 others whose volume is average. But that one song
    > is a mere whisper compared to the others. I wanted to increase it's
    > volume ...

    Do you have sox installed on your system? If not, you will find it on
    your Slackware installation CD/DVD. It will do this for you and give
    you a very reasonable result with a simple command (see the sox manual
    page for details; the program can do lots of things).

    If you prefer a GUI approach, someone else already mentioned Audacity,
    which is also an excellent tool, though for such a simple operation as
    what you're saying you want to do, Sox should do just fine.

    I think you'll appreciate both options. You should check them out,
    then you'll wonder indeed why you ever even bother with keeping your
    Windows installation around at all. Oh ... try "kpat" too! ;-)

    I hope that helps ...

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  9. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 05:30:46 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > MrMe wrote:
    >
    >> I have an mp3 song that just has no volume to it. I wanted to burn
    >> it on a cd with 14 others whose volume is average. But that one song
    >> is a mere whisper compared to the others. I wanted to increase it's
    >> volume ...

    > Do you have sox installed on your system? If not, you will find it on
    > your Slackware installation CD/DVD. It will do this for you and give
    > you a very reasonable result with a simple command (see the sox manual
    > page for details; the program can do lots of things).
    >
    > If you prefer a GUI approach, someone else already mentioned Audacity,
    > which is also an excellent tool, though for such a simple operation as
    > what you're saying you want to do, Sox should do just fine.
    >
    > I think you'll appreciate both options. You should check them out,
    > then you'll wonder indeed why you ever even bother with keeping your
    > Windows installation around at all. Oh ... try "kpat" too! ;-)
    >
    > I hope that helps ...

    Sox is installed, and I know I had given Audacity a try ( can't remember
    why I didn't like it ). I will look into them again.

    Thank you

    = Me =

  10. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 06:33:26 -0400, MrMe wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 05:30:46 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    >
    >> MrMe wrote:

    :
    snip
    :

    > Sox is installed, and I know I had given Audacity a try ( can't remember
    > why I didn't like it ). I will look into them again.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > = Me =

    Whoops... I see now that I had downloaded Audacity source tarball but
    never did install it .... I'll get the latest version and attempt to
    install it now ...

    Thanks again Y'alls

    = Me =

  11. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.1/audio/audacity/

    --
    Murat D. Kadirov

  12. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 19:36:10 +0000, Murat D. Kadirov wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:34:01 -0400, MrMe wrote:
    >
    >> Whoops... I see now that I had downloaded Audacity source tarball but
    >> never did install it .... I'll get the latest version and attempt to
    >> install it now ...
    >>

    > http://slackbuilds.org/repository/12.1/audio/audacity/

    Wow ..! What a mess ... I've downloaded and installed various versions
    from audacity.sourceforge.net/ as well as the suggested slackbuilds.org
    and installed various versions of wxwidgets etc ... audacity never
    compiled prperly - errors during the 'make iunstall' phaze.. And although
    I failed to write down the errors, I will put it to rest for a few days
    and try again later..

    = Me =

  13. Re: I believe I've hosed my sound ... help

    MrMe wrote:

    > Wow ..! What a mess ... audacity never compiled prperly - errors
    > during the 'make iunstall' phaze..

    Hrmmm... errors during "make install" suggests that it DID compile
    correctly, no?

    > And although I failed to write down the errors, I will put it to rest
    > for a few days and try again later..

    You might find "script" useful for capturing output, so that you don't
    need to write down errors. It's much easier to read in a file afterwards
    than it is to type in what you copied down. (see "man script"; You
    might prefer "tee", see "man tee", but with that one you need to
    remember to explicitly redirect both stdin and stderr; I've used both
    with success.)

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University