Slackware and Apache 2.2.10, ideas - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware and Apache 2.2.10, ideas - Slackware ; Folks, I have been looking at Slackware's build script for Apache, and it seems rather old/cumbersome with many of its configure options (98% of them can be eliminated and replaced by one), since Pat does not include --with-mysql in his ...

  1. Slackware and Apache 2.2.10, ideas

    Folks,
    I have been looking at Slackware's build script for Apache, and it
    seems rather old/cumbersome with many of its configure options (98% of
    them can be eliminated and replaced by one), since Pat does not include
    --with-mysql in his releases (in fairness this only became possible at
    2.2.4 with the separate c file installed, and in a complete single Apache
    source release package due to agreed license changes for 2.2.8+) ..

    I've found simpler and (way) shorter config options lines such as:

    ../configure
    --prefix=/usr|wheverever (or omited for /usr/local/apache .. my fave)
    --enable-so --enable-modules=all --with-included-apr --enable-ssl
    --disable-util-dso (2.2.9)
    --disable-option-checking (2.2.9 - due to newer automake spitting out crap
    that it shouldnt but should be corrected/hidden for 2.2.10)
    --with-mysql

    This is pretty much what I use and everyone else I've ever spoken to uses,
    well except I and "some" others include additional suexec options, which
    I think is hard to enforce in a general distro release package since we all
    could have our docroots all over the place, I do prefer /var/www, but I'm
    sure there's plenty that like the ol RH way of /etc/http, and other places.

    So... I am curious as to how many here use Pats version, or remove it and
    install from source because you need mysql or suexec (youd wanna be running
    it if your doing virtual hosting hehe) support?

    Send flames

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

  2. Re: Slackware and Apache 2.2.10, ideas

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:22:58 +1000 (EST), Res wrote:

    >Folks,
    >I have been looking at Slackware's build script for Apache, and it
    >seems rather old/cumbersome with many of its configure options (98% of
    >them can be eliminated and replaced by one), since Pat does not include
    >--with-mysql in his releases (in fairness this only became possible at
    >2.2.4 with the separate c file installed, and in a complete single Apache
    >source release package due to agreed license changes for 2.2.8+) ..
    >
    >I've found simpler and (way) shorter config options lines such as:
    >
    >./configure
    >--prefix=/usr|wheverever (or omited for /usr/local/apache .. my fave)
    >--enable-so --enable-modules=all --with-included-apr --enable-ssl
    >--disable-util-dso (2.2.9)
    >--disable-option-checking (2.2.9 - due to newer automake spitting out crap
    > that it shouldnt but should be corrected/hidden for 2.2.10)
    >--with-mysql
    >
    >This is pretty much what I use and everyone else I've ever spoken to uses,
    >well except I and "some" others include additional suexec options, which
    >I think is hard to enforce in a general distro release package since we all
    >could have our docroots all over the place, I do prefer /var/www, but I'm
    >sure there's plenty that like the ol RH way of /etc/http, and other places.

    I symlink from /var/www -> /home/web, so I don't care where the default is.

    >So... I am curious as to how many here use Pats version, or remove it and
    >install from source because you need mysql or suexec (youd wanna be running
    >it if your doing virtual hosting hehe) support?

    Dunno, I'm back in apache 1.3.41 land -- wondering how difficult is to
    migrate my stuff to apache 2.2.x -- no php, virtual servers though, (not
    hosting, just have a couple different public topic areas.

    >Send flames

    Nah, that'd be too easy Besides Pat's buildscripts never going to
    suit everyone, but I rarely build from source unless Slackware is slow
    updating some package.

    Eg. why do I need bidi font support in Vim? But not got around to
    seeing if a custom compile package any faster in use.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: Slackware and Apache 2.2.10, ideas

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, Grant wrote:

    >> So... I am curious as to how many here use Pats version, or remove it and
    >> install from source because you need mysql or suexec (youd wanna be running
    >> it if your doing virtual hosting hehe) support?

    > Dunno, I'm back in apache 1.3.41 land -- wondering how difficult is to
    > migrate my stuff to apache 2.2.x -- no php, virtual servers though, (not
    > hosting, just have a couple different public topic areas.

    I made that change many years ago, I recall I did have a couple of errors,
    but nothing I recall that did not take more than a couple of mins to fix

    > Nah, that'd be too easy Besides Pat's buildscripts never going to
    > suit everyone, but I rarely build from source unless Slackware is slow

    True ... But I think its about time it included MySQL, and its options
    is the long way about doing things for most basic options, why specify 20
    items when you only need teh one that encompasses those 20

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

+ Reply to Thread