Interesting info on slackware - Slackware

This is a discussion on Interesting info on slackware - Slackware ; Hey, it made the list! http://royal.pingdom.com/?p=340 OTOH, looks like it is losing fans. nb...

  1. Interesting info on slackware

    Hey, it made the list!

    http://royal.pingdom.com/?p=340

    OTOH, looks like it is losing fans.

    nb

  2. Re: Interesting info on slackware

    Responding to notbob:

    > Hey, it made the list!
    >
    > http://royal.pingdom.com/?p=340
    >
    > OTOH, looks like it is losing fans.
    >
    > nb

    Hmmm...

    How we determined popularity

    To have a way to judge popularity, we have looked at where a specific
    search term is most popular, i.e. how likely it is for someone in a
    region (country or state) to search for that specific term, for example
    “Linux” or “Ubuntu”. Google calls this “regional interest”.

    Not the most scientific of studies. Any "results" gained from this method
    are guaranteed to be based on interpretation, not accurate analysis of
    effectively collated data, and that is only going to demonstrate the
    opinion of the "researcher".

    One could argue equaly that the Google results are an indication of how
    reliable and trouble-free Linux systems are, as in, less searches
    indicates trouble-free use of, or how unpopular Windows is becomming in
    certain areas, seeing as searching for alternatives is one of the first
    things people do when they realise they need something better, and so on.

    An interesting snippet, but not really "data", just opinion.

    --
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    *===( http://www.badphorm.co.uk/

  3. Re: Interesting info on slackware

    On 2008-08-22, Mike wrote:

    > An interesting snippet, but not really "data", just opinion.

    I realize the accuracy of this data is neither here or there. But, I do
    think your contention that slackers, knowing more than the avg linux user,
    actually do less searches for slack info, is not quite accurate. As a
    slacker of a few years, my acquired knowledge is the results of judicious
    amounts of research for both slack and linux in general. I will agree that
    the more you know about slack, the less you need slack specific info and
    typically begin searching for more general *nix info. OTOH, I think
    beginning slackers search for tons of slack info, slack being so very hands
    on and until a slacker reaches a certain level of proficiency, slack
    specific info is very necessary.

    People are not drawn to the road less traveled and with more non-geeky ppl
    moving to linux, slack is bound to lose some popularity with the lazier M$
    defectors. Regardless, I just threw this tidbit up for slackers to see,
    whether they agree with it or not.

    nb

  4. Re: Interesting info on slackware

    Responding to notbob:

    > On 2008-08-22, Mike wrote:
    >
    >> An interesting snippet, but not really "data", just opinion.

    > I realize the accuracy of this data is neither here or there. But, I do
    > think your contention that slackers, knowing more than the avg linux
    > user, actually do less searches for slack info, is not quite accurate.
    > As a slacker of a few years, my acquired knowledge is the results of
    > judicious amounts of research for both slack and linux in general. I
    > will agree that the more you know about slack, the less you need slack
    > specific info and typically begin searching for more general *nix info.
    > OTOH, I think beginning slackers search for tons of slack info, slack
    > being so very hands on and until a slacker reaches a certain level of
    > proficiency, slack specific info is very necessary.

    Wasn't the search term "linux" rather than any specific linux related
    term?

    > People are not drawn to the road less traveled and with more non-geeky
    > ppl moving to linux, slack is bound to lose some popularity with the
    > lazier M$ defectors. Regardless, I just threw this tidbit up for
    > slackers to see, whether they agree with it or not.

    Oh, absolutely. Given the confusion the greater mass of Ubuntu users have
    introduced to the internet landscape, the sooner "separate development"
    is re-established the better IMO. >

    --
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    *===( http://www.badphorm.co.uk/