Setting up wireless connection - Slackware

This is a discussion on Setting up wireless connection - Slackware ; I am very ignorant in this entire wifi area. I have a middle-aged desktop connected to the internet with available usb ports but no more available pci slots. So I am looking for a usb wifi connector. The purpose of ...

  1. Setting up wireless connection

    I am very ignorant in this entire wifi area. I have a middle-aged
    desktop connected to the internet with available usb ports but no more
    available pci slots. So I am looking for a usb wifi connector.
    The purpose of this connection is to allow my wife's new laptop (not
    yet bought) to use my machine to get to my laser printer and the
    internet. I asked on comp.os.linux.hardware for recommendations for
    the hardware at each end. Now I am looking for guidance on setup.

    At the desktop end what magic incantations do I need to get the usb
    wifi connector activated and the passthrough to the internet possible?
    I did all this once over ethernet using Linux on two different
    desktops but I suspect the new laptop will be Windoze something or
    other. Is there a doc that covers wireless connectivity?

    John Culleton

  2. Re: Setting up wireless connection

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > I can't believe that this option wasn't recommended as a first choice on
    > comp.os.linux.hardware.

    The first, and so far only reply in comp.os.linux.hardware was exactly
    that. I think we all agree that a combined firewall/access-point is the
    best choice.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Setting up wireless connection

    On aug. 18, 16:18, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    wrote:
    > I am very ignorant in this entire wifi area. I have a middle-aged
    > desktop connected to the internet with available usb ports but no more
    > available pci slots. So I am looking for a usb wifi connector.
    > The purpose of this connection is to allow my wife's new laptop (not
    > yet bought) to use my machine to get to my laser printer and the
    > internet. I asked on comp.os.linux.hardware for recommendations for
    > the hardware at each end. Now I am looking for guidance on setup.
    >
    > At the desktop end what magic incantations do I need to get the usb
    > wifi connector activated and the passthrough to the internet possible?
    > I did all this once over ethernet using Linux on two different
    > desktops but I suspect the new laptop will be Windoze something or
    > other. Is there a doc that covers wireless connectivity?

    Hi John,

    Seting up the router should be easy enough via a browser.
    For wireless access you will need to decide which kind of security set-
    up to pursue.
    You will then need to tweak /etc/rc.d/wireless.conf - there are lots
    of examples in that script. Don't forget to comment out the first
    section.

    Good luck

    Glyn

  4. Re: Setting up wireless connection

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:18:41 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I am very ignorant in this entire wifi area. I have a middle-aged
    > desktop connected to the internet with available usb ports but no more
    > available pci slots. So I am looking for a usb wifi connector. The
    > purpose of this connection is to allow my wife's new laptop (not yet
    > bought) to use my machine to get to my laser printer and the internet.
    > I asked on comp.os.linux.hardware for recommendations for the hardware
    > at each end. Now I am looking for guidance on setup.
    >
    > At the desktop end what magic incantations do I need to get the usb wifi
    > connector activated and the passthrough to the internet possible? I did
    > all this once over ethernet using Linux on two different desktops but I
    > suspect the new laptop will be Windoze something or other. Is there a
    > doc that covers wireless connectivity?
    >
    > John Culleton

    I have a D-Link DIR-655 router. It doesn't need either a USB or a pci
    connection. The router was easy enough to set up with the Firefox
    browser from the desktop with Slackware Linux 12.0
    My wife uses a laptop with Windows XP and wireless and I have a laptop
    with Slackware-current and wireless and they both work nicely.
    Windows sets up the wireless automatically but I had lots of trial and
    error on my laptop with Linux until I tried "wicd" from Robby Workman's
    site:
    http://rlworkman.net/pkgs/

+ Reply to Thread