Slack current / KDE4.1 / VMWarePlayer - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slack current / KDE4.1 / VMWarePlayer - Slackware ; Hi, Hope this isn't too off-topic... Running Slackware current, Wed Aug 13 2008 version, as guest in VMWare Player 6.0.4 with VMWare tools 6.0.4-93057 installed. Host is Slackware 12.1. Slack current with KDE3, VMWare tools allow me to resize the ...

  1. Slack current / KDE4.1 / VMWarePlayer

    Hi,
    Hope this isn't too off-topic...
    Running Slackware current, Wed Aug 13 2008 version, as guest in VMWare
    Player 6.0.4 with VMWare tools 6.0.4-93057 installed.
    Host is Slackware 12.1.

    Slack current with KDE3, VMWare tools allow me to resize the window OK.

    KDE4.1 looks pretty neat, but the window resizing doesn't work properly.
    The screenshot shows what is happening: http://tinyurl.com/5ndmad
    The wallpaper and toolbar aren't expanding to fill the window
    when I make the frame bigger. But kwrite, and other applications,
    make use of space beyond the wallpaper.

    The KDE System Settings for display size and orientation show lots
    of unusual display sizes, and the default is shown as 1008x690.
    My xorg.conf only contains 640x480 and 800x600.

    Anybody else had this problem or have an idea how to fix?
    Or is this just a temporary "feature" as Slackware + KDE4 are not yet
    stable?

    Cheers,

    Peter

  2. Re: Slack current / KDE4.1 / VMWarePlayer

    On 2008-08-15, geep wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Hope this isn't too off-topic...
    > Running Slackware current, Wed Aug 13 2008 version, as guest in VMWare
    > Player 6.0.4 with VMWare tools 6.0.4-93057 installed.
    > Host is Slackware 12.1.
    >
    > Slack current with KDE3, VMWare tools allow me to resize the window OK.
    >
    > KDE4.1 looks pretty neat, but the window resizing doesn't work properly.
    > The screenshot shows what is happening: http://tinyurl.com/5ndmad
    > The wallpaper and toolbar aren't expanding to fill the window
    > when I make the frame bigger. But kwrite, and other applications,
    > make use of space beyond the wallpaper.
    >
    > The KDE System Settings for display size and orientation show lots
    > of unusual display sizes, and the default is shown as 1008x690.
    > My xorg.conf only contains 640x480 and 800x600.
    >
    > Anybody else had this problem or have an idea how to fix?
    > Or is this just a temporary "feature" as Slackware + KDE4 are not yet
    > stable?

    Seems to be lots of problems with kde4
    I suppose someone will debug it.

    --
    Greymaus

  3. Re: Slack current / KDE4.1 / VMWarePlayer / Kubuntu 8.04.1

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:11:32 -0500, geep wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Hope this isn't too off-topic...
    > Running Slackware current, Wed Aug 13 2008 version, as guest in VMWare
    > Player 6.0.4 with VMWare tools 6.0.4-93057 installed. Host is Slackware
    > 12.1.
    >
    > Slack current with KDE3, VMWare tools allow me to resize the window OK.
    >
    > KDE4.1 looks pretty neat, but the window resizing doesn't work properly.
    > The screenshot shows what is happening: http://tinyurl.com/5ndmad The
    > wallpaper and toolbar aren't expanding to fill the window when I make
    > the frame bigger. But kwrite, and other applications, make use of space
    > beyond the wallpaper.

    I have now tried this with a Kubuntu 8.04.1 guest + KDE 4.1 + VMWare
    tools 6.0.4-93057. I have exactly the same problem.
    So I guess it's a KDE 4.1 problem, rather than a Slackware problem.

    > The KDE System Settings for display size and orientation show lots of
    > unusual display sizes, and the default is shown as 1008x690. My
    > xorg.conf only contains 640x480 and 800x600.
    >
    > Anybody else had this problem or have an idea how to fix? Or is this
    > just a temporary "feature" as Slackware + KDE4 are not yet stable?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Peter

  4. Re: Slack current / KDE4.1 / VMWarePlayer / Kubuntu 8.04.1

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:07:21 -0500, geep wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:11:32 -0500, geep wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Hope this isn't too off-topic...
    >> Running Slackware current, Wed Aug 13 2008 version, as guest in VMWare
    >> Player 6.0.4 with VMWare tools 6.0.4-93057 installed. Host is Slackware
    >> 12.1.
    >>
    >> Slack current with KDE3, VMWare tools allow me to resize the window OK.
    >>
    >> KDE4.1 looks pretty neat, but the window resizing doesn't work
    >> properly. The screenshot shows what is happening:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5ndmad The wallpaper and toolbar aren't expanding to
    >> fill the window when I make the frame bigger. But kwrite, and other
    >> applications, make use of space beyond the wallpaper.

    > I have now tried this with a Kubuntu 8.04.1 guest + KDE 4.1 + VMWare
    > tools 6.0.4-93057. I have exactly the same problem. So I guess it's a
    > KDE 4.1 problem, rather than a Slackware problem.

    Hmm... after more experimenting with both Kubuntu 8.04.1 and Slackware
    current, I find that I can resize the KDE 4.1 window - but not by simply
    dragging the window frame.

    With VMWare tools running, "Display - System Settings - Size &
    Orientation" shows several non-standard screen-sizes. 1008x701 nicely
    fits a VMWare Player window onto my 1024x768 display. By selecting
    1008x701 and then "Apply" and "Reset" the window frame instantly changes
    size, and the default size changes to 1008x701 (0.0Hz). I can reliably
    toggle between 1008x701 and the initial 800x600 size. Sometimes the
    "Apply" and "Reset" buttons are greyed out, but selecting a different
    size from the pulldoWn list reactivates them.

    I'm happy that I can now control the window size, but would prefer
    to be able to just drag the frame to desired size like with KDE3.

    Maybe VMWare or KDE forums have more information. Watch this space...

    Cheers,
    Peter

    >> The KDE System Settings for display size and orientation show lots of
    >> unusual display sizes, and the default is shown as 1008x690. My
    >> xorg.conf only contains 640x480 and 800x600.
    >>
    >> Anybody else had this problem or have an idea how to fix? Or is this
    >> just a temporary "feature" as Slackware + KDE4 are not yet stable?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Peter

+ Reply to Thread