Install KDE 4.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Install KDE 4.1 - Slackware ; Hi guys: Does anyone know of a good tutorial for installing KDE 4.1 from source in Slackware 12.1?? Dependencies, order of compile, etc..... Thanks in Advance. Joel Camez....

  1. Install KDE 4.1

    Hi guys:
    Does anyone know of a good tutorial for installing KDE 4.1 from source
    in Slackware 12.1??
    Dependencies, order of compile, etc.....

    Thanks in Advance.
    Joel Camez.

  2. Re: Install KDE 4.1

    Once remove kde3 package. please see
    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar...remove-kde3.sh

    after install deps, extragear, kde, kde-i10n (only your language
    package), kde3-compat package.

    reboot your system and use kde4

    On Aug 14, 3:47 am, jcamez wrote:
    > Hi guys:
    > Does anyone know of a good tutorial for installing KDE 4.1 from source
    > in Slackware 12.1??
    > Dependencies, order of compile, etc.....
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.
    > Joel Camez.

  3. Re: Install KDE 4.1

    On Aug 14, 12:37*am, A t l a n t i S wrote:
    > Once remove kde3 package. please seeftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/testing/packa...
    >
    > after install deps, extragear, kde, kde-i10n (only your language
    > package), kde3-compat package.
    >
    > reboot your system and use kde4
    >
    > On Aug 14, 3:47 am, jcamez wrote:
    >
    > > Hi guys:
    > > Does anyone know of a good tutorial for installing KDE 4.1 from source
    > > in Slackware 12.1??
    > > Dependencies, order of compile, etc.....

    > > Thanks in Advance.
    > > Joel Camez.

    Thanks Atlantis:
    I've just read your post and i will give it a go right now.
    I'll let you know how it went.
    Thanks

  4. Re: Install KDE 4.1

    jcamez@gmail.com wrote :

    > Does anyone know of a good tutorial for installing KDE 4.1 from source
    > in Slackware 12.1??

    You could go to your preferred Slackware mirror and enter:
    slackware-current/testing/source/kde4/

    Here you'll find slackbuild scripts for both KDE 4.1 and its
    dependencies.
    --
    Thomas O.

  5. Re: Install KDE 4.1

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:45:12 +0200, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > jcamez@gmail.com wrote :
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a good tutorial for installing KDE 4.1 from source
    >> in Slackware 12.1??

    > You could go to your preferred Slackware mirror and enter:
    > slackware-current/testing/source/kde4/
    >
    > Here you'll find slackbuild scripts for both KDE 4.1 and its
    > dependencies.

    Hi Thomas,
    I've just been to my preferred mirror but KDE4.1 hasn't got there yet.
    http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/f...pub/slackware/
    slackware-current/

    I have tried various other rsync mirrors today and either they were down,
    didn't have KDE4.1 or have error messages:
    rsync://rsync.gwdg.de/slackware/slackware-current/ . - no good - also ftp
    rsync://rsync.scarlet.be/slackware/slackware-current/ . - no good - also
    ftp
    rsync://ftp.heanet.ie/slackware/slackware-current/ . - no good
    rsync://slackware.ngi.it/slackware/slackware-current/ . - hangs - no
    messages
    rsync://ftp.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-current/ . - @ERROR: max
    connections (35) reached - try again later

    I got almost everything from rsync://slackware.mirrors.tds.net but it
    inexplicably didn't download testing/packages/kde4/kde and testing/
    packages/kde4/kde3-compat. This rsync mirror is now broken for me,
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(794)
    [receiver=3.0.2], but it was OK earlier today. So I'm now downloading
    these 2 directories using wget from ftp://slackware.mirrors.tds.net, even
    as I type this.

    Do you know if there's a definitive list of good rsync mirrors anywhere?

    Cheers,

    Peter

  6. Re: Install KDE 4.1

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:24:44 -0500, geep spewed forth:

    > Do you know if there's a definitive list of good rsync mirrors anywhere?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Peter

    Try this:

    http://rsync.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-current

    I use this mirror and rsync to maintain my own version of -current
    (and 12.1 - obvious changes required)

    hth

    steve

  7. Re: Install KDE 4.1

    Franklin wrote:
    > http://rsync.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-current

    Yeah, this is the source Pat is recommending in his security
    announcements, but I'm always a bit irritated about
    the "splash"-screen:

    R S Y N C . O S U O S L . O R G
    Oregon State University
    Open Source Lab

    Unauthorized use is prohibited - violators will be prosecuted

    For more information on accessing these archives visit:
    http://osuosl.org/hosting

    This host is the home to the primary archives of several
    projects. We would prefer that only primary/secondary
    mirrors use this service. Thanks!

    Notice the last sentence!

    Rupa

  8. Re: Install KDE 4.1

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:24:44 -0500, geep wrote:

    >I got almost everything from rsync://slackware.mirrors.tds.net but it
    >inexplicably didn't download testing/packages/kde4/kde and testing/
    >packages/kde4/kde3-compat. This rsync mirror is now broken for me,

    Known issue, rsync flaky at tds.net last couple days, got rsync
    testing/source/kde4/ coming in right now from tds.net.

    >rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(794)
    >[receiver=3.0.2], but it was OK earlier today. So I'm now downloading
    >these 2 directories using wget from ftp://slackware.mirrors.tds.net, even
    >as I type this.
    >
    >Do you know if there's a definitive list of good rsync mirrors anywhere?

    The lists I checked yesterday were fairly dated, setup a script to try
    them with a 'rsync $mirror_uri::' just to get available trees, for
    example:

    $ rsync slackware.mirrors.tds.net::

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  9. Re: Install KDE 4.1

    On 2008-08-14, jcamez wrote:
    > Hi guys:
    > Does anyone know of a good tutorial for installing KDE 4.1 from source
    > in Slackware 12.1??
    > Dependencies, order of compile, etc.....
    >
    > Thanks in Advance.
    > Joel Camez.

    how do you expect it to perform ?
    for a decent period i've been maintaining build script to co-exist kde4
    with the default kde3 installation.
    http://batts.mine.nu/pub/src/SlackBuilds/kde4/
    first you can reiview the deps/DEPS.SlackBuild
    then move on to kde/KDE.SlackBuild

    this is only the build scripts, no source

    but since we're at 4.1, this likely not be maintained, as the focus for
    the various installation paths is changing.

    vb

  10. Re: Install KDE 4.1

    Hallo, Rupa,

    Du meintest am 15.08.08:

    >> http://rsync.osuosl.org/pub/slackware/slackware-current

    > Yeah, this is the source Pat is recommending in his security
    > announcements, but I'm always a bit irritated about
    > the "splash"-screen:

    > We would prefer that only primary/secondary
    > mirrors use this service. Thanks!

    What about

    ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/slackwar...kware-current/

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut