Splack (Slack for Sparc) on Sun U30 - where's the mouse device? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Splack (Slack for Sparc) on Sun U30 - where's the mouse device? - Slackware ; Damn, I hate this. It seems every OS has its own idea what to call the thing, device-wise. dmesg says: /pci@1f,4000/ebus@1/su@14,3062f8: Mouseport at 1fff13062f8, IRQ9 It's a stock Sun three-button mouse (Model Crossbow), with the ps/2-ish looking connector which plugs ...

  1. Splack (Slack for Sparc) on Sun U30 - where's the mouse device?

    Damn, I hate this. It seems every OS has its own idea what to call
    the thing, device-wise. dmesg says:

    /pci@1f,4000/ebus@1/su@14,3062f8: Mouseport at 1fff13062f8, IRQ9

    It's a stock Sun three-button mouse (Model Crossbow), with the
    ps/2-ish looking connector which plugs into the bottom of the Sun Type
    5 keyboard. I know, it's not really ps/2. cat /proc/misc does
    mention psaux, fwiw.

    I've tried fiddling with /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm handing it
    /dev/input/{mouse,mice}, /dev/psaux, ... I've tried disabling gpm and
    defining it in xorg.conf instead (I don't really need console mouse;
    it'd just be nice).

    What does Splack expect me to use for the mouse device? What do I
    tell X to sort it out, at least?

    Thanks. Nice light system, so far. Fluxbox looks good on it.

  2. Re: Splack (Slack for Sparc) on Sun U30 - where's the mouse device?

    "s. keeling" wrote in message
    news:slrnga1aia.48p.keeling@phreaque.nucleus.com.. .
    > Damn, I hate this. It seems every OS has its own idea what to call
    > the thing, device-wise. dmesg says:
    >
    > /pci@1f,4000/ebus@1/su@14,3062f8: Mouseport at 1fff13062f8, IRQ9
    >
    > It's a stock Sun three-button mouse (Model Crossbow), with the
    > ps/2-ish looking connector which plugs into the bottom of the Sun Type
    > 5 keyboard. I know, it's not really ps/2. cat /proc/misc does
    > mention psaux, fwiw.
    >
    > I've tried fiddling with /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm handing it
    > /dev/input/{mouse,mice}, /dev/psaux, ... I've tried disabling gpm and
    > defining it in xorg.conf instead (I don't really need console mouse;
    > it'd just be nice).
    >
    > What does Splack expect me to use for the mouse device? What do I
    > tell X to sort it out, at least?
    >
    > Thanks. Nice light system, so far. Fluxbox looks good on it.

    Hey I have a Sun Workstation 5 and posted here a few days ago.
    and still have not gotten my mouse detected no matter what I've tried.

    I even tried a standard serial mouse...It just is not working!

    There may be a bug in the system!

  3. Re: [OT] Splack (Slack for Sparc) on Sun U30 - where's the mouse device?

    s. keeling wrote:

    > What does Splack expect me to use for the mouse device? What do I
    > tell X to sort it out, at least?

    See the thread marked "SPARC", for an almost identical discussion, with
    hopefully some information that will help you.

    Please note also that Splack is not Slackware, though I understand that
    it's based on Slackware.

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  4. Re: [OT] Splack (Slack for Sparc) on Sun U30 - where's the mouse device?

    "Sylvain Robitaille" wrote in message
    > s. keeling wrote:
    >
    > > What does Splack expect me to use for the mouse device? What do I
    > > tell X to sort it out, at least?

    > See the thread marked "SPARC", for an almost identical discussion, with
    > hopefully some information that will help you.
    >
    > Please note also that Splack is not Slackware, though I understand that
    > it's based on Slackware.

    FWIW:

    Even though I should be packing for my trip tomorrow
    I had time to look at my system today for a few minutes.

    dmesg lists: sun mouse-systems mousedriver version 1.00
    and I was finally able to boot GUI by simply changing /dev/mouse to
    /dev/sunmouse

    but my system then locks up

    it seems I have no sunmouse module.

    Anyway *now* I am going to put the machine away and look at it in a week or
    so

+ Reply to Thread