What is Renderer Threading? - Slackware

This is a discussion on What is Renderer Threading? - Slackware ; I have just downloaded the demo Linux client for Enemy Territory: Quake Was. The client can be started with the option for "renderer threading support". I can't find an exact explanation of what this option means through Google. Can anyone ...

  1. What is Renderer Threading?

    I have just downloaded the demo Linux client for Enemy Territory:
    Quake Was. The client can be started with the option for
    "renderer threading support". I can't find an exact explanation
    of what this option means through Google.

    Can anyone explain what this might be, or point me in the right
    direction?

    Simon

  2. Re: What is Renderer Threading?

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 04:29:44 +0000 (UTC), simonp@nospam.com wrote:

    >I have just downloaded the demo Linux client for Enemy Territory:
    >Quake Was. The client can be started with the option for
    >"renderer threading support". I can't find an exact explanation
    >of what this option means through Google.
    >
    >Can anyone explain what this might be, or point me in the right
    >direction?

    I'm guessing it is an option to multi-thread the renderer for users
    with multi-core CPUs. A single thread application cannot use multiple
    cores.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: What is Renderer Threading?

    Grant wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 04:29:44 +0000 (UTC), simonp@nospam.com wrote:
    >
    >>I have just downloaded the demo Linux client for Enemy Territory:
    >>Quake Was. The client can be started with the option for
    >>"renderer threading support". I can't find an exact explanation
    >>of what this option means through Google.
    >>
    >>Can anyone explain what this might be, or point me in the right
    >>direction?

    > I'm guessing it is an option to multi-thread the renderer for users
    > with multi-core CPUs. A single thread application cannot use multiple
    > cores.
    >
    > Grant.

    Thanks for the pointer. That seem to fit the information.

    Simon

+ Reply to Thread