SPARC - Slackware

This is a discussion on SPARC - Slackware ; I posted a few days ago about installing a ported version of Slackware on a SPARC , Sun Workstation...but the machine did not boot. (I did a test install of Net BSD, to prove to myself that the machine's H/W ...

  1. SPARC

    I posted a few days ago about installing a ported version
    of Slackware on a SPARC , Sun Workstation...but the machine did not boot.
    (I did a test install of Net BSD, to prove to myself that the machine's H/W
    was OK)

    I was advised to configure SILO.

    That was good advice as now the machine at least tries to boot.

    Right after the boot message: "mounted root (ext2 filesystem)

    I run into a kernal panic no init found try passing init=option to the
    kernel

    How did that happen on a new install?

  2. Re: SPARC

    "philo" wrote in message
    > I posted a few days ago about installing a ported version
    > of Slackware on a SPARC , Sun Workstation...but the machine did not boot.
    > (I did a test install of Net BSD, to prove to myself that the machine's

    H/W
    > was OK)
    >
    > I was advised to configure SILO.
    >
    > That was good advice as now the machine at least tries to boot.
    >
    > Right after the boot message: "mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
    >
    > I run into a kernal panic no init found try passing init=option to

    the
    > kernel
    >

    > How did that happen on a new install?

    Oh, forgot to mention that I did confirm that init is located in /sbin
    where I believe it's supposed to be

  3. Re: SPARC

    philo wrote:

    > Oh, forgot to mention that I did confirm that init is located in
    > /sbin where I believe it's supposed to be

    I hope you're going to tell me that this is a stupid question, and that
    the answer is "yes, of course it is!" but ... /sbin is in your root
    partition?

    More importantly, are you sure that the root partition is on a disk for
    which the booting kernel has support built-in for the disk controller
    (my Sparc systems are all exclusively SCSI; I imagine yours likely is
    as well) and file-system?

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  4. Re: SPARC

    "Sylvain Robitaille" wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >
    > > Oh, forgot to mention that I did confirm that init is located in
    > > /sbin where I believe it's supposed to be

    > I hope you're going to tell me that this is a stupid question, and that
    > the answer is "yes, of course it is!" but ... /sbin is in your root
    > partition?
    >
    > More importantly, are you sure that the root partition is on a disk for
    > which the booting kernel has support built-in for the disk controller
    > (my Sparc systems are all exclusively SCSI; I imagine yours likely is
    > as well) and file-system?

    Thanks for the reply.
    I re-examined everything and I must have (stupidly) not paid attention to
    which kernel I was using...
    I replaced the kernel with a scsi support kernel and now the system boots up
    fine.

    My next problem is setting up the X-server.

    When I used to run Slackware on my i386 machine I generally set it up
    manually,
    and though it took me a while...I always got things sorted out.

    Now I see there is Xorg to make things easy.

    Unfortunately, a ton of the H/W that was ported over was for i386
    and it took me a while to actually get a Sun video card installed,
    but I still cannot boot to the GUI due to a "no pointing device found"
    error.

    All choices are for i386 H/W such as serial and ps/2 mouse,
    so the best I could to was "auto"
    but that did now work.

    I even tried "remarking out" all references to mouse or pointing device
    but still get the "no pointing device" error, and the X-server fails.

    There has to be a way to get it running I'd think???

  5. Re: SPARC

    philo :

    > "Sylvain Robitaille" wrote in message
    > > philo wrote:
    > >
    > > > Oh, forgot to mention that I did confirm that init is located in
    > > > /sbin where I believe it's supposed to be

    > > I hope you're going to tell me that this is a stupid question, and that
    > > the answer is "yes, of course it is!" but ... /sbin is in your root
    > > partition?

    > I re-examined everything and I must have (stupidly) not paid attention to
    > which kernel I was using...
    >
    > I replaced the kernel with a scsi support kernel and now the system boots up
    > fine.
    >
    > My next problem is setting up the X-server.

    As root: X -configure

    > When I used to run Slackware on my i386 machine I generally set it
    > up manually, and though it took me a while...I always got things
    > sorted out.
    >
    > Now I see there is Xorg to make things easy.
    >
    > Unfortunately, a ton of the H/W that was ported over was for i386
    > and it took me a while to actually get a Sun video card installed,
    > but I still cannot boot to the GUI due to a "no pointing device found"
    > error.

    I don't even get that. Where is the mouse device on a U30?!? cat
    /proc/devices lists a psaux

    > There has to be a way to get it running I'd think???

    You'd think. Hardware! :-P

  6. Re: SPARC

    "s. keeling" wrote in message
    news:slrnga1fr3.48p.keeling@phreaque.nucleus.com.. .
    > philo :
    > >
    > > "Sylvain Robitaille" wrote in message

    > > > I hope you're going to tell me that this is a stupid question, and

    that
    > > > the answer is "yes, of course it is!" but ... /sbin is in your root
    > > > partition?

    > > I re-examined everything and I must have (stupidly) not paid attention

    > > which kernel I was using...
    > >
    > > I replaced the kernel with a scsi support kernel and now the system

    boots up
    > > fine.
    > >
    > > My next problem is setting up the X-server.

    > As root: X -configure

    Tried that but same error:

    no mouse found

    > > When I used to run Slackware on my i386 machine I generally set it
    > > up manually, and though it took me a while...I always got things
    > > sorted out.
    > >
    > > Now I see there is Xorg to make things easy.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, a ton of the H/W that was ported over was for i386
    > > and it took me a while to actually get a Sun video card installed,
    > > but I still cannot boot to the GUI due to a "no pointing device found"
    > > error.

    > I don't even get that. Where is the mouse device on a U30?!? cat
    > /proc/devices lists a psaux
    >
    > > There has to be a way to get it running I'd think???

    > You'd think. Hardware! :-P
    >

    > --
    > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
    > (*) http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html Linux Counter #80292
    > - - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html Please, don't Cc: me.

  7. Re: SPARC

    "philo" wrote in message

    > "s. keeling" wrote in message
    > news:slrnga1fr3.48p.keeling@phreaque.nucleus.com.. .
    > > philo :
    > > >
    > > > "Sylvain Robitaille" wrote in message

    > that
    > > >
    > > > I re-examined everything and I must have (stupidly) not paid

    attention
    > > > which kernel I was using...
    > > >
    > > > I replaced the kernel with a scsi support kernel and now the system

    > boots up
    > > > fine.
    > > >
    > > > My next problem is setting up the X-server.

    > > As root: X -configure

    > Tried that but same error:
    >
    > no mouse found

    Also tried a serial mouse, with the same negative results

    BTW: When I tried commenting out the mouse and still got the "no mouse"
    error
    it said that it was referenced in Xorg configured ???

  8. Re: SPARC

    philo :
    > "philo" wrote in message
    > > "s. keeling" wrote in message
    > > news:slrnga1fr3.48p.keeling@phreaque.nucleus.com.. .
    > > >
    > > > As root: X -configure

    > > Tried that but same error:
    > >
    > > no mouse found

    > Also tried a serial mouse, with the same negative results
    >
    > BTW: When I tried commenting out the mouse and still got the "no
    > mouse" error it said that it was referenced in Xorg configured ???

    Grr ... I was using this stuff in '93, but not on Sparc. It's been a
    long time, and I don't really grok Sparc.

  9. Re: SPARC

    "s. keeling" wrote in message
    news:slrnga1mt8.48p.keeling@phreaque.nucleus.com.. .
    > philo :
    > > "philo" wrote in message
    > > > "s. keeling" wrote in message
    > > > news:slrnga1fr3.48p.keeling@phreaque.nucleus.com.. .

    > > > Tried that but same error:
    > > >
    > > > no mouse found

    > > Also tried a serial mouse, with the same negative results
    > >
    > > BTW: When I tried commenting out the mouse and still got the "no
    > > mouse" error it said that it was referenced in Xorg configured ???

    > Grr ... I was using this stuff in '93, but not on Sparc. It's been a
    > long time, and I don't really grok Sparc.

    Yes, Linux seems to be pretty well perfected for i386
    but with SPARC it does not seem to be there yet .

    Of course, I've got some pretty old H/W.

  10. Re: SPARC

    philo wrote:

    > "Sylvain Robitaille" wrote in message
    > > philo wrote:
    > >

    > My next problem is setting up the X-server.
    >
    > When I used to run Slackware on my i386 machine I generally set it up
    > manually,
    > and though it took me a while...I always got things sorted out.
    >
    > Now I see there is Xorg to make things easy.

    On a old SPARCstation 5? X should be configless. There is like only 5-6
    possible video card and 1-2 mouse type and everything is well identified
    in the PROM device tree.

    On 32 bits sparc, you usually have single zylog chip doing 4 serial
    ports. 2 are use for the keyboard/mouse combo and 2 are available as
    serial A/B.

    > Unfortunately, a ton of the H/W that was ported over was for i386
    > and it took me a while to actually get a Sun video card installed,
    > but I still cannot boot to the GUI due to a "no pointing device found"
    > error.

    You have a SPARCstation 5 or a SPARC64 system with a PCI bus?

    > All choices are for i386 H/W such as serial and ps/2 mouse,
    > so the best I could to was "auto"
    > but that did now work.
    >
    > I even tried "remarking out" all references to mouse or pointing device
    > but still get the "no pointing device" error, and the X-server fails.
    >
    > There has to be a way to get it running I'd think???

  11. Re: [OT] SPARC

    I'm marking this followup off-topic, since Splack, despite being based
    on Slackware, is not Slackware.

    philo wrote:

    > My next problem is setting up the X-server.
    > ... I still cannot boot to the GUI due to a "no pointing device found"
    > error.

    I'm only guessing here, as I haven't been in front of my Sparc systems
    for a long time, and as I noted in an earlier message, I have no
    experience at all with Splack, but it sounds to me again like you
    probably have a driver missing. (or at least the X server isn't able to
    access the driver)

    Can you see any reference to the mouse device in dmesg output?
    Can you show which (modularized) device drivers are loaded? I don't
    recall which device driver the Sun mouse needs. A quick look at
    drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig on a relatively recent kernel tree, though,
    shows this, which might help:

    config MOUSE_SERIAL
    tristate "Serial mouse"
    select SERIO
    help
    Say Y here if you have a serial (RS-232, COM port) mouse
    connected to your system. This includes Sun, MouseSystems,
    Microsoft, Logitech and all other compatible serial mice.

    Indeed drivers/input/mouse/sermouse.c is the only source file with
    reference to the Sun mouse protocol.

    If you are able to confirm that the kernel finds the mouse at boot-time,
    and are sure the driver is loaded, check also for the correct device
    file. Documentation/devices.txt shows the following for a Sun mouse:

    10 char Non-serial mice, misc features
    6 = /dev/sunmouse Sun mouse

    I hope this helps ...

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  12. Re: SPARC

    "Hugo Villeneuve" wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >
    > > "Sylvain Robitaille" wrote in message
    > > > philo wrote:
    > > >

    > > My next problem is setting up the X-server.
    > >
    > > When I used to run Slackware on my i386 machine I generally set it up
    > > manually,
    > > and though it took me a while...I always got things sorted out.
    > >
    > > Now I see there is Xorg to make things easy.
    > >

    > On a old SPARCstation 5? X should be configless. There is like only 5-6
    > possible video card and 1-2 mouse type and everything is well identified
    > in the PROM device tree.
    >
    > On 32 bits sparc, you usually have single zylog chip doing 4 serial
    > ports. 2 are use for the keyboard/mouse combo and 2 are available as
    > serial A/B.
    >

    > > Unfortunately, a ton of the H/W that was ported over was for i386
    > > and it took me a while to actually get a Sun video card installed,
    > > but I still cannot boot to the GUI due to a "no pointing device found"
    > > error.

    > You have a SPARCstation 5 or a SPARC64 system with a PCI bus?

    32 bit

    this one

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARCstation_5

  13. Re: [OT] SPARC

    > I'm marking this followup off-topic, since Splack, despite being based
    > on Slackware, is not Slackware.
    >
    > philo wrote:
    >
    > > My next problem is setting up the X-server.
    > > ... I still cannot boot to the GUI due to a "no pointing device found"
    > > error.

    > I'm only guessing here, as I haven't been in front of my Sparc systems
    > for a long time, and as I noted in an earlier message, I have no
    > experience at all with Splack, but it sounds to me again like you
    > probably have a driver missing. (or at least the X server isn't able to
    > access the driver)
    >
    > Can you see any reference to the mouse device in dmesg output?
    > Can you show which (modularized) device drivers are loaded? I don't
    > recall which device driver the Sun mouse needs. A quick look at
    > drivers/input/mouse/Kconfig on a relatively recent kernel tree, though,
    > shows this, which might help:
    >
    > config MOUSE_SERIAL
    > tristate "Serial mouse"
    > select SERIO
    > help
    > Say Y here if you have a serial (RS-232, COM port) mouse
    > connected to your system. This includes Sun, MouseSystems,
    > Microsoft, Logitech and all other compatible serial mice.
    >
    > Indeed drivers/input/mouse/sermouse.c is the only source file with
    > reference to the Sun mouse protocol.
    >
    > If you are able to confirm that the kernel finds the mouse at boot-time,
    > and are sure the driver is loaded, check also for the correct device
    > file. Documentation/devices.txt shows the following for a Sun mouse:
    >
    > 10 char Non-serial mice, misc features
    > 6 = /dev/sunmouse Sun mouse
    >
    > I hope this helps ...

    Thanks for the reply...I am heading out of town soon,
    so will not be able to fool with the machine for a while...
    but I'll copy this to my notes!

+ Reply to Thread