MythTV under Slackware - Slackware

This is a discussion on MythTV under Slackware - Slackware ; I have a Slackware 12.1 box running MythTV 0.21. This setup works, in that I can record shows from my cable box and play them all right. I have two problems though: 1) When I bring my box up, the ...

  1. MythTV under Slackware

    I have a Slackware 12.1 box running MythTV 0.21. This setup
    works, in that I can record shows from my cable box and play them all
    right. I have two problems though:

    1) When I bring my box up, the very first video I attempt to
    play, no matter which one it is, won't play in the sense that although I
    have sound, I don't have video. If I stop it and launch it again,
    everything works fine.

    2) Some of my daughter's DVDs, which I copied to my hard drive so
    that she won't have the chance to scratch them, just won't play. MythTV
    seems to enter an infinite loop, and the only way to get things back to
    normal is to kill the mythfrontend process from a separate terminal. At
    that point MythTV is totally locked up.

    I know that such DVDs are fine, for I can play them with tools
    like xine or mplayer on that box, independently from MythTV.

    If anybody has any experience running MythTV in this platform,
    their feedback will be most appreciated. These some details of my setup:

    Kernel: The installation vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.24.5-smp. Video
    card: An NVidia FX5200-based PCI card, with the 173.14.12
    NVidia drivers.
    MythTV: Version 0.21, as downloaded from slacky.eu in the
    MythTV-20080521 package.

    At this point I am suspecting an issue with the NVidia driver and
    the kernel I am using; again, feedback on this would be welcome.

  2. Re: MythTV under Slackware

    "H.K. Kingston-Smith" wrote:
    > If anybody has any experience running MythTV in this platform,
    > their feedback will be most appreciated.

    Sorry that I can't be to much help. I have some experience from running
    mythtv on Slackware. That experience tells me that mostly everything works
    exactly as expected, but sometimes when something messes up it is rather
    hard to find any clues in log files or error messages that could explain
    why it went wrong.

    I have choosen to configure mythtv to use mplayer instead of the internal
    player to watch DVDs. By that decision I lost the start menus of the DVDs
    and I also lost the mythtv OSD menu when playing DVDs, but this way more
    DVDs play more stable. Also, I don't consider the start menus to be any
    big loss, with mplayer when playing a DVD it now jumps directly to the
    main movie with my preferred subtitles.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread