full halt of computer - Slackware

This is a discussion on full halt of computer - Slackware ; I have an old computer (1997) that was used to fully halt when sent the command 'halt' under slack12.0. but now with slack 12.1 (new install, not upgrade) the computer doesn't fully halt. All drives stop but the mainbord and ...

  1. full halt of computer

    I have an old computer (1997) that was used to fully halt when sent
    the command 'halt' under slack12.0.

    but now with slack 12.1 (new install, not upgrade) the computer
    doesn't fully halt. All drives stop but the mainbord and the graphics
    still run. The message on the screen is "machine halted" and i have to
    push on the main OFF button on the case to end the process.

  2. Re: full halt of computer

    On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:11:47 -0700 (PDT), heavytull wrote:

    >I have an old computer (1997) that was used to fully halt when sent
    >the command 'halt' under slack12.0.
    >
    >but now with slack 12.1 (new install, not upgrade) the computer
    >doesn't fully halt. All drives stop but the mainbord and the graphics
    >still run. The message on the screen is "machine halted" and i have to
    >push on the main OFF button on the case to end the process.

    There's a kernel option for that, but you need to make a custom kernel...

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: full halt of computer

    On August 8, 2008 19:11, in alt.os.linux.slackware, heavytull
    (heavytull@hotmail.com) wrote:

    > I have an old computer (1997) that was used to fully halt when sent
    > the command 'halt' under slack12.0.
    >
    > but now with slack 12.1 (new install, not upgrade) the computer
    > doesn't fully halt. All drives stop but the mainbord and the graphics
    > still run. The message on the screen is "machine halted" and i have to
    > push on the main OFF button on the case to end the process.

    OK, so you need to enable the APM or ACPI daemon.

    The acpid daemon is installed by the acpid package, while the apmd daemon is
    installed by the apmd- package.

    HTH
    --
    Lew Pitcher

  4. Re: full halt of computer

    Hallo, heavytull,

    Du meintest am 08.08.08:

    > I have an old computer (1997) that was used to fully halt when sent
    > the command 'halt' under slack12.0.

    > but now with slack 12.1 (new install, not upgrade) the computer
    > doesn't fully halt.

    Kernel option
    CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=1990

    As mentioned: you have to compile your own kernel

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  5. Re: full halt of computer

    On Aug 9, 1:43 am, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > OK, so you need to enable the APM or ACPI daemon.

    apm is already loaded

+ Reply to Thread