Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts) - Slackware

This is a discussion on Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts) - Slackware ; Linux/unix and printing. The problem began many years ago when it was decided that unix hackers would never, ever, need a wordprocessor. Furthermore, it was decided that it was more important to be able to support a printer on Aunt ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    Linux/unix and printing. The problem began many years ago when it
    was decided that unix hackers would never, ever, need a
    wordprocessor. Furthermore, it was decided that it was more
    important to be able to support a printer on Aunt Martha's machine,
    networked some 2,000 kilometers away, than it was on the user's
    machine, since, after all, printing out instructions on any command
    runs contrary to the linux/unix "we're tough" mindset.

    Now we have always tortured ourselves in the past with the BSD
    nightmare, that is, when we had a printer that linux _claims_ to
    support. We haven't had such a printer in quite some time, however,
    it seems now that we have an HP printer that is supposedly linux
    compatible.

    Now we have two choices. We can attach the new printer to our
    windoze box and be ready to print from any application in
    approximately 30 seconds. Or we can put three rounds in the barrel
    and try to install this sucker on linux.

    Step one: apsfilter. Where the **** has that gone to? No more
    apsfilter.

    Step two: find some docs. We unrolled The Hillbilly's "Offical"
    Slackware Book from the bathroom wall, and NOT A SINGLE ****ING WORD
    ABOUT HOW TO INSTALL A PRINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Again,

    THE COWARD'S OFFICIAL ASSWIPE DOES NOT HAVE A SINGLE ****ING WORD
    ABOUT HOW TO INSTALL A PRINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Unless we already used
    that part of the "manual"...)

    Step three? We shall grep the /user/docs directory and try to
    figure things out...that should take about half an hour or so to
    decide that there is nothing written about any printers newer than a
    decade old...(usb port? For a printer?)

    Step four? Google. Unless someone gives us a shortcut...anyone
    know any good tutorials on HP printers? Apparently there is
    installation software out there somewhere...

    More, later,

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  2. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 22:02:09 +0000, rm wrote:

    > Linux/unix and printing. The problem began many years ago when it
    > was decided that unix hackers would never, ever, need a
    > wordprocessor. Furthermore, it was decided that it was more
    > important to be able to support a printer on Aunt Martha's machine,
    > networked some 2,000 kilometers away, than it was on the user's
    > machine, since, after all, printing out instructions on any command
    > runs contrary to the linux/unix "we're tough" mindset.

    Yes, we are tough. But not as tough as we used to be See response.

    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    Note: Comment inline.

    Assuming that you are running something like Slackware 11+, then

    # cd /etc/rc.d
    # chmod +x rc.cups
    # ./rc.cupsd start

    Then, in a browser, open this URL: http://localhost:631.

    Probably, you can take it from there.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    Douglas Mayne trolled:

    > Assuming that you are running something like Slackware 11+, then
    >
    > # cd /etc/rc.d
    > # chmod +x rc.cups
    > # ./rc.cupsd start

    Do you mean rc.cups? But then we have to either install the cups
    package or, preferably, install cups from source.

    WTF is cups, anyway?

    > Then, in a browser, open this URL: http://localhost:631.

    All in good time...but what happened to apsfilter? Didn't enough
    people send in their postcards?

    > Probably, you can take it from there.

    We'll try installing cups from source. Slackware 12.0.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  4. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    rm@big.justlinux.ca trolled:

    >> Probably, you can take it from there.

    > We'll try installing cups from source. Slackware 12.0.

    cups 1.4 puked on the make. But 1.3.8 compiled and installed. If
    we were going to use pre-compiled packages, we might just as well
    stick with windoze...

    Stay tuned, if you're really, really, bored...

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  5. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    rm@big.justlinux.ca wrote:

    > Step one: apsfilter. *Where the **** has that gone to? *No more
    > apsfilter.

    It can be found in the Pasture directory of the Slackware 12.1 DVD.
    (Apsfilter 7.2.5. as a Slackware package).
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  6. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha
    I'm too busy laughing my ass off to make a commnent of you, but you hae
    proved to be a bigger clueless twat then even I thought ahahahaha

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

  7. Re: Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    In newsgroup alt.os.linux.slackware, Res wrote:
    [...]
    >> WTF is cups, anyway?

    [...]
    >> We'll try installing cups from source. Slackware 12.0.

    [...]

    At this point you just confirmed beyond a doubt that you are a total jerk
    who is irreversibly beyond any point of possibly gaining/recovering any
    respect from anybody following this pathetic show of utter ignorance and
    stupidity.

    "Most cordially" as you always point out, even to losers like you.

    Joe

  8. Re: Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    EH? was that to me or that tosser RM ?

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

  9. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 22:02:09 +0000, rm wrote:

    > Step four? Google. Unless someone gives us a shortcut...anyone know any
    > good tutorials on HP printers? Apparently there is installation software
    > out there somewhere...

    LOL, stupid n00b. It's trivially easy, even for a windoze luser like
    yourself.

    > cordially, as always,

    Smeg off, troll.

  10. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    Hallo, Res,

    Du meintest am 09.08.08:

    > hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha
    > I'm too busy laughing my ass off to make a commnent of you, but you
    > hae proved to be a bigger clueless twat then even I thought ahahahaha

    "rm" is a troll and a masochist. Why do you feed it? Just do please it?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  11. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Hallo, Res,
    >
    > Du meintest am 09.08.08:
    >
    >> hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha
    >> I'm too busy laughing my ass off to make a commnent of you, but you
    >> hae proved to be a bigger clueless twat then even I thought ahahahaha

    > "rm" is a troll and a masochist. Why do you feed it? Just do please it?

    No, becasue I'm bored, its a cold wintery sat'day here, and nothing else
    to do

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

  12. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    Helmut Hullen says:
    >Hallo, Res,

    >Du meintest am 09.08.08:

    >> hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha
    >> I'm too busy laughing my ass off to make a commnent of you, but you
    >> hae proved to be a bigger clueless twat then even I thought ahahahaha

    >"rm" is a troll and a masochist. Why do you feed it? Just do please it?

    Boring...

    Killfiled for 21 days.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  13. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    Res wrote:

    > No, becasue I'm bored, its a cold wintery sat'day here, and nothing else
    > to do

    I keep forgetting some of you guys are on the bottom part of the globe.

    - Kurt

  14. Re: Re: Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    In newsgroup alt.os.linux.slackware, Res wrote:

    > EH? was that to me or that tosser RM ?

    Sorry. Bad followup. You would never deserve such a diatribe anyway.
    Cheers.

    Joe

  15. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, ~kurt wrote:

    > Res wrote:
    >>
    >> No, becasue I'm bored, its a cold wintery sat'day here, and nothing else
    >> to do

    > I keep forgetting some of you guys are on the bottom part of the globe.

    hehehehe yeah, but we are ahead of ya 10-17 hours ahead in fact
    .. wanna know what the lotto winning numnbers, I'll tell you if we go
    halves

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

  16. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    rm@big.justlinux.ca wrote:

    (a typical baseless and dumbass rm diatribe about printing in linux)

    I plugged my HP printer into a usb port, informed cups of its presence, and
    proceeded to print. My wife also prints to it from her Mac. Even my
    little eeepc with its annoying, dumbass, bastardized Xandros crap found it
    and used it effortlessly. Is this evidence that I am much smarter than
    you? Yes, but that's a very modest claim.

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  17. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    Old Man trolled:
    > rm@big.justlinux.ca wrote:
    >
    > (a typical baseless and dumbass rm diatribe about printing in linux)
    >
    > I plugged my HP printer into a usb port, informed cups of its
    > presence, and proceeded to print. My wife also prints to it from
    > her Mac. Even my little eeepc with its annoying, dumbass,
    > bastardized Xandros crap found it and used it effortlessly. Is
    > this evidence that I am much smarter than you? Yes, but that's a
    > very modest claim.

    The fact that you keep making this modest claim, over and over
    again, tells us that you hope to convince somebody.

    They have a relatively new method of dealing with hemmorhoids these
    days. They put elastic bands around them and let them drop off
    after the damned things die from lack of circulation.

    You should try this before you post again.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  18. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    rm@big.justlinux.ca wrote:

    > The fact that you keep making this modest claim, over and over
    > again, tells us that you hope to convince somebody.

    Never made this very, very modest claim before, but don't let the facts
    interfere with your very, very modest insult.

    > They have a relatively new method of dealing with hemmorhoids these
    > days. They put elastic bands around them and let them drop off
    > after the damned things die from lack of circulation.
    >
    > You should try this before you post again.

    Hemorrhoids have nothing to do with you being a pain in the ass. If you
    tell your doctors about this return of your anal fixation, they will
    probably adjust your meds.

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  19. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    Hallo, Old,

    Du meintest am 13.08.08:

    [****]

    > Hemorrhoids have nothing to do with you being a pain in the ass. If
    > you tell your doctors about this return of your anal fixation, they
    > will probably adjust your meds.

    rm is a masochist and a troll. Why do you feed it? Just to pleasure it?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  20. Re: Adventures with printing (part 1 of 218 parts)

    Old Man trolled:

    > Hemorrhoids have nothing to do with you being a pain in the ass.

    Sorry, chump. But it ain't our sausage creating the pain in your
    ass.

    > If you tell your doctors about this return of your anal fixation,
    > they will probably adjust your meds.

    You should just worry about whether the source of your pain is
    wearing a condom. Especially if it's Floyd Davidson. Those polar
    bears supposedly carry wicked viruses (virii?) that can only be
    contracted through sexual activity.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

+ Reply to Thread