Listing compiled in drivers/modules - Slackware

This is a discussion on Listing compiled in drivers/modules - Slackware ; Is there a way to list the compiled in drivers/modules the way lsmod lists the non-compiled in ones? I have poked around /proc, the man pages and Google but so far the answer has eluded me. Andy...

  1. Listing compiled in drivers/modules

    Is there a way to list the compiled in drivers/modules the way lsmod lists
    the non-compiled in ones? I have poked around /proc, the man pages and
    Google but so far the answer has eluded me.

    Andy

  2. Re: Listing compiled in drivers/modules

    > Is there a way to list the compiled in drivers/modules the way lsmod lists
    > the non-compiled in ones? *I have poked around /proc, the man pages and
    > Google but so far the answer has eluded me.

    i guess all modules resides in /lib/modules//modules

  3. Re: Listing compiled in drivers/modules

    Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:

    >> Is there a way to list the compiled in drivers/modules the way lsmod
    >> lists the non-compiled in ones? *I have poked around /proc, the man pages
    >> and Google but so far the answer has eluded me.

    > i guess all modules resides in /lib/modules//modules

    Thanks for taking the time to reply, but what I had asked was about
    compiled-in drivers, not drivers that were compiled as modules.

    Andy

  4. Re: Listing compiled in drivers/modules

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 22:19:26 -0500, Andy Johnson wrote:

    > Is there a way to list the compiled in drivers/modules the way lsmod lists
    > the non-compiled in ones? I have poked around /proc, the man pages and
    > Google but so far the answer has eluded me.
    >
    > Andy

    $ cat /proc/config.gz | gzip -cd | grep "=m$"

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  5. Re: Listing compiled in drivers/modules

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:05:29 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 22:19:26 -0500, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to list the compiled in drivers/modules the way lsmod lists
    >> the non-compiled in ones? I have poked around /proc, the man pages and
    >> Google but so far the answer has eluded me.
    >>
    >> Andy
    >>

    > $ cat /proc/config.gz | gzip -cd | grep "=m$"

    Oops. That gives alll modules. To get built-in kernel features:

    $ cat /proc/config.gz | gzip -cd | grep "=y$"

  6. Re: Listing compiled in drivers/modules

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:09:19 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:05:29 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 22:19:26 -0500, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to list the compiled in drivers/modules the way lsmod lists
    >>> the non-compiled in ones? I have poked around /proc, the man pages and
    >>> Google but so far the answer has eluded me.
    >>>
    >>> Andy
    >>>

    >> $ cat /proc/config.gz | gzip -cd | grep "=m$"
    >>

    >Oops. That gives alll modules. To get built-in kernel features:
    >
    >$ cat /proc/config.gz | gzip -cd | grep "=y$"

    UUOC?

    s/cat/zcat/ ??

    IOW: zcat /proc/config.gz | grep "=y$"

    or

    grep "=y$" /boot/config-$(uname -r)

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  7. Re: Listing compiled in drivers/modules

    Grant wrote:

    >>> $ cat /proc/config.gz | gzip -cd | grep "=m$"
    >>>

    >> Oops. That gives alll modules. To get built-in kernel features:
    >>
    >> $ cat /proc/config.gz | gzip -cd | grep "=y$"

    > UUOC?
    >
    > s/cat/zcat/ ??
    >
    > IOW: zcat /proc/config.gz | grep "=y$"

    UUOZC ? (useless use of zcat)

    Try just: zgrep "=y$" /proc/config.gz

    But the output obtained by this command, or the variants
    that ware mentioned earlier, is hardly usable to determine
    which drivers are compiled in.
    Firstly: The parameter names are very cryptic to read.
    Secondly: Lots of these parameters don't define a driver that
    is compiled in, but only set optional features of drivers
    (even of drivers compiled as a module). Look for instance at
    the following snippet of "zcat /proc/config.gz".

    [...]
    #
    # File systems
    #
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS=m
    # CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR is not set
    # CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XIP is not set
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y
    CONFIG_EXT4DEV_FS=m
    CONFIG_EXT4DEV_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_EXT4DEV_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_EXT4DEV_FS_SECURITY=y
    CONFIG_JBD=m
    CONFIG_JBD2=m
    CONFIG_FS_MBCACHE=m
    CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=m
    # CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
    # CONFIG_REISERFS_PROC_INFO is not set
    CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_SECURITY=y
    CONFIG_JFS_FS=m
    CONFIG_JFS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_JFS_SECURITY=y
    [...]

    This is from the 2.6.24.5-smp kernel configuration of a Slackware 12.1
    system. *All* lines of this snippet ending with "=y" define options of
    drivers that are compiled as a module.

    I guess that a full listing with "zless /proc/config.gz" will give you
    a better overview than a filtered "zgrep '=y$' /proc/config.gz".

    And no, I don't know a way to list all compiled in drivers. I guess
    that you'll get the best overview by cd-ing to /usr/src/linux and
    browsing your configuration with "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig".
    You need to have the kernel sources installed for that and you must
    ensure that your /usr/src/linux/.config reflects the configuration
    thant you want to examine. You'll need root access rights to run
    "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig".

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  8. Re: Listing compiled in drivers/modules

    Some interesting ideas, but still it seems that we don't have a concensus on
    how to do this. I asked firstly because I have a fair number of modules:

    $ wc -l /proc/modules
    114 /proc/modules

    But secondly because I'm also curious as to what is compiled in that can't
    be a module, such as PCI or input (selecting virtual terminal support
    compiles it in). Another example is that dmidecode lists some drivers that
    aren't modules, so I know they're in there somewhere.

    Andy

+ Reply to Thread