Switching users in KDE - Slackware

This is a discussion on Switching users in KDE - Slackware ; When I try to switch users in KDE, I get a login dialog on vt8, but after I login there is a dialog box on vt7 which says that "KDE seems to be already running on this display." Then the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Switching users in KDE

  1. Switching users in KDE

    When I try to switch users in KDE, I get a login dialog on vt8, but after I
    login there is a dialog box on vt7 which says that "KDE seems to be already
    running on this display." Then the Switch User pull down from the KDE menu
    shows two sessions, but there is nothing but wallpaper on vt8.
    Acknowledging the dialog box kills the session on vt8. Any ideas on how to
    make this work?

    Andy


  2. Re: Switching users in KDE

    On 2008-08-08, Andy Johnson wrote:
    > When I try to switch users in KDE, I get a login dialog on vt8, but after I
    > login there is a dialog box on vt7 which says that "KDE seems to be already
    > running on this display." Then the Switch User pull down from the KDE menu
    > shows two sessions, but there is nothing but wallpaper on vt8.
    > Acknowledging the dialog box kills the session on vt8. Any ideas on how to
    > make this work?
    >
    > Andy
    >

    are you in fact logging in with a new/different user than what is
    signed in on vt7 ? and what version of slackware ?

    i do this on a infrequent basis, but have never had that error come up.

    the "already running on this display" error is in the `which startkde` script to
    check for session locks on users.

    vb


  3. Re: Switching users in KDE

    Vincent Batts wrote:

    > On 2008-08-08, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >> When I try to switch users in KDE, I get a login dialog on vt8, but after
    >> I login there is a dialog box on vt7 which says that "KDE seems to be
    >> already
    >> running on this display." Then the Switch User pull down from the KDE
    >> menu shows two sessions, but there is nothing but wallpaper on vt8.
    >> Acknowledging the dialog box kills the session on vt8. Any ideas on how
    >> to make this work?
    >>
    >> Andy
    >>

    > are you in fact logging in with a new/different user than what is
    > signed in on vt7 ? and what version of slackware ?
    >
    > i do this on a infrequent basis, but have never had that error come up.
    >
    > the "already running on this display" error is in the `which startkde`
    > script to check for session locks on users.
    >
    > vb

    Yes, I'm logging in as a different user. This is version 12.1.

    Andy


  4. Re: Switching users in KDE

    On 2008-08-11, Andy Johnson wrote:
    > Vincent Batts wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-08-08, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >>> When I try to switch users in KDE, I get a login dialog on vt8, but after
    >>> I login there is a dialog box on vt7 which says that "KDE seems to be
    >>> already
    >>> running on this display." Then the Switch User pull down from the KDE
    >>> menu shows two sessions, but there is nothing but wallpaper on vt8.
    >>> Acknowledging the dialog box kills the session on vt8. Any ideas on how
    >>> to make this work?
    >>>
    >>> Andy
    >>>

    >> are you in fact logging in with a new/different user than what is
    >> signed in on vt7 ? and what version of slackware ?
    >>
    >> i do this on a infrequent basis, but have never had that error come up.
    >>
    >> the "already running on this display" error is in the `which startkde`
    >> script to check for session locks on users.
    >>
    >> vb

    > Yes, I'm logging in as a different user. This is version 12.1.
    >
    > Andy
    >

    i'm assuming that you are running in runlevel (init) 4, through kdm.
    is their any special changes in that process that you've done, or
    alterations to the kdm configurations. because i've attempted this now
    on a couple of installations and i'm able to reproduce it.

    vb

  5. Re: Switching users in KDE

    Vincent Batts wrote:

    > On 2008-08-11, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >> Vincent Batts wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-08-08, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >>>> When I try to switch users in KDE, I get a login dialog on vt8, but
    >>>> after I login there is a dialog box on vt7 which says that "KDE seems
    >>>> to be already
    >>>> running on this display." Then the Switch User pull down from the KDE
    >>>> menu shows two sessions, but there is nothing but wallpaper on vt8.
    >>>> Acknowledging the dialog box kills the session on vt8. Any ideas on
    >>>> how to make this work?
    >>>>
    >>>> Andy
    >>>>
    >>> are you in fact logging in with a new/different user than what is
    >>> signed in on vt7 ? and what version of slackware ?
    >>>
    >>> i do this on a infrequent basis, but have never had that error come up.
    >>>
    >>> the "already running on this display" error is in the `which startkde`
    >>> script to check for session locks on users.
    >>>
    >>> vb

    >> Yes, I'm logging in as a different user. This is version 12.1.
    >>
    >> Andy
    >>

    > i'm assuming that you are running in runlevel (init) 4, through kdm.
    > is their any special changes in that process that you've done, or
    > alterations to the kdm configurations. because i've attempted this now
    > on a couple of installations and i'm able to reproduce it.
    >
    > vb

    Yes, init 4 with autologin of my wife's account. I don't recall doing
    anything special. I don't have the original version of kdmrc or I'd post a
    diff. Usually I just open a shell and su to me, but I think it might be
    better if I had my own desktop. When you say reproduce, do you mean it's
    broken the same way as mine, or that it works as expected?

    Andy


  6. Re: Switching users in KDE

    On 2008-08-12, Andy Johnson wrote:
    > Vincent Batts wrote:
    >
    >> On 2008-08-11, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >>> Vincent Batts wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 2008-08-08, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >>>>> When I try to switch users in KDE, I get a login dialog on vt8, but
    >>>>> after I login there is a dialog box on vt7 which says that "KDE seems
    >>>>> to be already
    >>>>> running on this display." Then the Switch User pull down from the KDE
    >>>>> menu shows two sessions, but there is nothing but wallpaper on vt8.
    >>>>> Acknowledging the dialog box kills the session on vt8. Any ideas on
    >>>>> how to make this work?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Andy
    >>>>>
    >>>> are you in fact logging in with a new/different user than what is
    >>>> signed in on vt7 ? and what version of slackware ?
    >>>>
    >>>> i do this on a infrequent basis, but have never had that error come up.
    >>>>
    >>>> the "already running on this display" error is in the `which startkde`
    >>>> script to check for session locks on users.
    >>>>
    >>>> vb
    >>> Yes, I'm logging in as a different user. This is version 12.1.
    >>>
    >>> Andy
    >>>

    >> i'm assuming that you are running in runlevel (init) 4, through kdm.
    >> is their any special changes in that process that you've done, or
    >> alterations to the kdm configurations. because i've attempted this now
    >> on a couple of installations and i'm able to reproduce it.
    >>
    >> vb

    > Yes, init 4 with autologin of my wife's account. I don't recall doing
    > anything special. I don't have the original version of kdmrc or I'd post a
    > diff. Usually I just open a shell and su to me, but I think it might be
    > better if I had my own desktop. When you say reproduce, do you mean it's
    > broken the same way as mine, or that it works as expected?
    >
    > Andy
    >


    you can find the default kdmrc in kdebase
    $( wget http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/ \
    slackware-12.1/slackware/kde/kdebase-3.5.9-i486-2.tgz )
    $(tar xf kdebase-3.5.9-i486-2.tgz 'etc/kde/kdmrc.new')

    regarding reproduce, my apologies, i made a typo :/ i am UNable to
    reproduce it. i do not see that behavior at all.

    vb

  7. Re: Switching users in KDE

    Vincent Batts wrote:

    > On 2008-08-12, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >> Vincent Batts wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2008-08-11, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >>>> Vincent Batts wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 2008-08-08, Andy Johnson wrote:
    >>>>>> When I try to switch users in KDE, I get a login dialog on vt8, but
    >>>>>> after I login there is a dialog box on vt7 which says that "KDE seems
    >>>>>> to be already
    >>>>>> running on this display." Then the Switch User pull down from the
    >>>>>> KDE menu shows two sessions, but there is nothing but wallpaper on
    >>>>>> vt8.
    >>>>>> Acknowledging the dialog box kills the session on vt8. Any ideas on
    >>>>>> how to make this work?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Andy
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> are you in fact logging in with a new/different user than what is
    >>>>> signed in on vt7 ? and what version of slackware ?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> i do this on a infrequent basis, but have never had that error come
    >>>>> up.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> the "already running on this display" error is in the `which startkde`
    >>>>> script to check for session locks on users.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> vb
    >>>> Yes, I'm logging in as a different user. This is version 12.1.
    >>>>
    >>>> Andy
    >>>>
    >>> i'm assuming that you are running in runlevel (init) 4, through kdm.
    >>> is their any special changes in that process that you've done, or
    >>> alterations to the kdm configurations. because i've attempted this now
    >>> on a couple of installations and i'm able to reproduce it.
    >>>
    >>> vb

    >> Yes, init 4 with autologin of my wife's account. I don't recall doing
    >> anything special. I don't have the original version of kdmrc or I'd post
    >> a
    >> diff. Usually I just open a shell and su to me, but I think it might be
    >> better if I had my own desktop. When you say reproduce, do you mean it's
    >> broken the same way as mine, or that it works as expected?
    >>
    >> Andy
    >>

    >
    > you can find the default kdmrc in kdebase
    > $( wget http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/ \
    > slackware-12.1/slackware/kde/kdebase-3.5.9-i486-2.tgz )
    > $(tar xf kdebase-3.5.9-i486-2.tgz 'etc/kde/kdmrc.new')
    >
    > regarding reproduce, my apologies, i made a typo :/ i am UNable to
    > reproduce it. i do not see that behavior at all.
    >
    > vb


    Here's the diff:

    $ diff /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.new
    326c326
    < AntiAliasing=true
    ---
    > #AntiAliasing=true

    350c350
    < UserList=false
    ---
    > #UserList=false

    485c485
    < Authorize=false
    ---
    > #Authorize=false

    535c535
    < AutoLoginEnable=true
    ---
    > #AutoLoginEnable=true

    545c545
    < AutoLoginUser={wife's name here}
    ---
    > #AutoLoginUser=fred


    Andy


+ Reply to Thread