CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN - Slackware

This is a discussion on CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN - Slackware ; Slack 12.1, Using CUPS... I have two machines, identical on a home LAN. Both machines have a printer connected, identical copies of Slack 12.1 and W2K. For the life of me I can not get either printer (HP5550 and HP5440) ...

  1. CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN

    Slack 12.1, Using CUPS...

    I have two machines, identical on a home LAN. Both machines have a
    printer connected, identical copies of Slack 12.1 and W2K.

    For the life of me I can not get either printer (HP5550 and HP5440) to
    print "Linux to Linux"

    One machine is my primary and the other is a backup that often handles
    large downloads and video encoding, etc.

    Both machines will print across the network as long as the "server box"
    is running W2K using a SMB URI of the form...

    smb://usernameassword@workgroup/server/printersharename

    But no matter what I set for a URI I can not get them to print across
    the network if both are booted Linux.

    I've tried setting up a third printer object using ipp but that doesn't
    work as does neither just using ipp alone

    I think I used to be able to do this just with the SMB configuration,
    but can not recall. In any event that does not work either although the
    CUPS web interface reports the job as finished. When I used ipp the jobs
    queue would report them as stalled.

    I've got the "Good Book" section from the CUPS manual to follow on the
    URI format but no go.

    The router, IP's, Hostnames and other network are all correctly
    configured.

    Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? If so I sure would like
    to hear the solution. I;m thinking there is a control file I need to
    edit but I can't find a likely culprit despite digging around in /etc

    TIA

    PS: Both printers work perfectly otherwise. W2K to W2K printing is
    also fine across the LAN

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 19:48:08 -0400, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Slack 12.1, Using CUPS...
    >
    > I have two machines, identical on a home LAN. Both machines have a
    > printer connected, identical copies of Slack 12.1 and W2K.
    >
    > For the life of me I can not get either printer (HP5550 and HP5440) to
    > print "Linux to Linux"

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/6446/1/

  3. Re: CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 19:27:01 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> I have two machines, identical on a home LAN. Both machines have a
    >> printer connected, identical copies of Slack 12.1 and W2K.

    >> For the life of me I can not get either printer (HP5550 and HP5440) to
    >> print "Linux to Linux"

    > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/6446/1/

    Yeah, I figured this was the culprit. What aggravates me is this file
    was hand configured long ago by me and after doing a Slack upgrade the
    old configuration would not work with the newer CUPS package. I ignored
    it for a bit as I had some other projects that had a higher priority.
    main reason I want this setup is to always have a printer available
    should one run out of ink or malfunction. So it's not a real
    *necessity* but I feel more secure when it's working.

    I see the article is dated Dec 20,2007 so it ought to be recent enough
    as that corresponds with more or less with the time it started to be
    broken.

    Well, I guess I'll dig in. Oh, for joy - Another learning opportunity

    Thanks though. So far it appears t be a decent article.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  4. Re: CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:05:55 -0400, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > I see the article is dated Dec 20,2007 so it ought to be recent enough
    > as that corresponds with more or less with the time it started to be
    > broken.

    The server side setup works perfectly on a Linux system and prints for
    clients running Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I know nothing about
    how it works for Windows clients.

  5. Re: CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:55:07 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> I see the article is dated Dec 20,2007 so it ought to be recent enough
    >> as that corresponds with more or less with the time it started to be
    >> broken.

    > The server side setup works perfectly on a Linux system and prints for
    > clients running Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I know nothing about
    > how it works for Windows clients.

    It worked properly for me for years until about January of this year when I
    upgraded Slack and thusly CUPS.

    I compiled CUPS from source and was using it on Slack before it became a
    standard package.

    That page led to the same results albeit along the way I see there is
    some problem in the printer being seen at all. I've tried adding addresses to
    /etc/hosts so I can ping the machines by name to try to cover everything but
    so far same deal - Can't print from Linux to Linux.

    BTW, you don't really need to know anything about windows other than my
    statement verifies that they in fact print and the LAN is not the problem.

    I have a few other ideas but I'm about to give this up. I'll send to file across
    the network to a machine with a working printer if I have to.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  6. Re: CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 22:49:03 -0400, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > That page led to the same results albeit along the way I see there is
    > some problem in the printer being seen at all. I've tried adding addresses to
    > /etc/hosts so I can ping the machines by name to try to cover everything but
    > so far same deal - Can't print from Linux to Linux.

    Normally, the cups logs are in /var/log/cups. You might check those to
    see what is happening.

  7. Re: CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 22:49:03 -0400, Ron Gibson wrote:
    >
    >> That page led to the same results albeit along the way I see there is
    >> some problem in the printer being seen at all. I've tried adding
    >> addresses to /etc/hosts so I can ping the machines by name to try to
    >> cover everything but so far same deal - Can't print from Linux to Linux.

    > Normally, the cups logs are in /var/log/cups. You might check those to
    > see what is happening.

    And to dig into what is happening... as root
    examine/edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and look for/edit this line:

    ------------------------------

    # Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
    # troubleshooting...
    LogLevel info

    -----------------------------

    Change the LogLevel to debug and then /var/log/cups/error_log should spill
    the beans.

    HTH.

    John.

    --
    Using the White Box

  8. Re: CUPS not printing to Linux box on LAN

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 08:33:13 -0400, John K. Herreshoff wrote:

    > And to dig into what is happening... as root
    > examine/edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and look for/edit this line:

    > # Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
    > # troubleshooting...
    > LogLevel info

    > Change the LogLevel to debug and then /var/log/cups/error_log should spill
    > the beans.

    I was considering that. I'm really perplexed about this as prior to a few
    months ago setting up printing with a smb URI was the PITA. Setting up a
    linux box was a no brainer. Now for me those roles have switched.

    I can't pin it down precisely to what version number this happened but
    a few versions back the allowable set statements in cupsd.conf changed.
    That's when my problem started.

    I have to admit I've neglected the problem as there are many easy ways
    around it on a 2 machine LAN, one of which is really more of a backup.

    I've found when doing this in the past it often is not good enough just
    to restart cups but often you must delete stale files by hand, reboot
    and even power cycle the printers (HP inkjects have this quirk).

    So every little change you make takes a lot of time to evaluate making
    the process overly time consuming for what you hope to gain.

    Now if the machine wouldn't boot or something really drastic that would
    be different - That justifies lots of time and effort.

    However whenever I have a few extra hours I'll peck away at the problem.