SPARC - Slackware

This is a discussion on SPARC - Slackware ; I just picked up an old Sun Workstation 5 .... installed Solaris 8. It's in working condition. Since I've managed to get Slackware running just fine on a few i386 machines, I decided to try SPLACK 10.2. http://www.splack.org/ I was ...

  1. SPARC

    I just picked up an old Sun Workstation 5
    .... installed Solaris 8. It's in working condition.

    Since I've managed to get Slackware running just fine on a few i386
    machines,
    I decided to try SPLACK 10.2.

    http://www.splack.org/

    I was able to install it but I could find no option anywhere to setup a boot
    loader.

    Anyone want to help a total SPARC newbie?

    Thanks

  2. Re: SPARC

    philo wrote:

    > I just picked up an old Sun Workstation 5
    > I decided to try SPLACK 10.2.
    > I was able to install it but I could find no option anywhere to setup
    > a boot loader.
    >
    > Anyone want to help a total SPARC newbie?

    When I was using Sparc Linux (I've not tried Splack, though it looks
    like an interesting excuse to dust off my SparcStations), the boot
    loader was called "silo". You might want to look on your system for
    that.

    I hope that helps ...

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  3. Re: SPARC

    "Sylvain Robitaille" wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >
    > > I just picked up an old Sun Workstation 5
    > > I decided to try SPLACK 10.2.
    > > I was able to install it but I could find no option anywhere to setup
    > > a boot loader.
    > >
    > > Anyone want to help a total SPARC newbie?

    > When I was using Sparc Linux (I've not tried Splack, though it looks
    > like an interesting excuse to dust off my SparcStations), the boot
    > loader was called "silo". You might want to look on your system for
    > that.
    >
    > I hope that helps ...

    Yes I tried to get silo configured
    then ended up just wiping the drive and installing Net BSD.

    Since the machine has two, 2 gig drives I am now dual booting Solaris 8 and
    Net BSD

    anyway, I need to clean off my bench as someone is about to bring a machine
    over for repair.

    I'll probably fool around with the Sun Workstation some more
    on another day.

+ Reply to Thread