slack12.1 freshly installed - Slackware

This is a discussion on slack12.1 freshly installed - Slackware ; I just installed slack12.1 on a computer from naught. I mean this is not an update from a previous version of slack. And i noticed some new things that i have never seen on my own slack12.1 laptop. actually on ...

  1. slack12.1 freshly installed

    I just installed slack12.1 on a computer from naught.
    I mean this is not an update from a previous version of slack.
    And i noticed some new things that i have never seen on my own
    slack12.1 laptop. actually on my laptop i installed at first slack
    10.2 and upgraded to 11.0-12.0-12.1

    among the new things is the boot slack logo instead of the old lilo
    interface.
    wireless interface is named wlan0 while on my laptop it is eth1.

    I would like to know from which file this network interface took its
    name.
    i grepped 'wlan0' all files in /etc/rc.d on both computers and found
    no difference.

  2. Re: slack12.1 freshly installed

    06/08/2008 12:54 - heavytull :
    > I just installed slack12.1 on a computer from naught.
    > I mean this is not an update from a previous version of slack.
    > And i noticed some new things that i have never seen on my own
    > slack12.1 laptop. actually on my laptop i installed at first slack
    > 10.2 and upgraded to 11.0-12.0-12.1
    >
    > among the new things is the boot slack logo instead of the old lilo
    > interface.

    You must have kept the old config file.

    > wireless interface is named wlan0 while on my laptop it is eth1.
    >
    > I would like to know from which file this network interface took its
    > name.
    > i grepped 'wlan0' all files in /etc/rc.d on both computers and found
    > no difference.

    Udev gives name to interfaces. See /etc/udev/rules.d/... Have a look
    especially at 75-persistent-net-generator.rules

+ Reply to Thread