Re: Website over DSL ? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: Website over DSL ? - Slackware ; Madhusudan Singh wrote: > ray wrote: > >> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:27:57 +0000, Madhusudan Singh wrote: >> >>> Hi >>> >>> I recently purchased a domain name for myself. I have >>> a desktop that acts as my ...

  1. Re: Website over DSL ?

    Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    > ray wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:27:57 +0000, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I recently purchased a domain name for myself. I have
    >>> a desktop that acts as my firewall and router and connects to the Net
    >>> through an ADSL line.
    >>>
    >>> Commercially available hosting packages can cost as much
    >>> as $15-$20 per month. Since I run Linux (and not M$ Losedoze), I am
    >>> hoping that it is possible to administer a website by setting up a
    >>> webserver on my desktop above.

    >> There are also places like www.netfirms.com.

    > Thanks for the suggestion, but this one does not MySQL etc. and offers M$
    > Frontpage etc. that I have no use for.

    I would highly recommend calling your local phone and or cable provider
    ( becarful with cable because some cable providers won't allow you to
    run a server on a residential connection) Providers and inquiring about
    there commercial grade dsl or burstible T1 or even FIOS (Verizons' home
    owner grade fiber phone, tv and internet bundles)pricing,. Your besty
    bet is to steer clear of Cable internet providers because of the
    aforementioned restrictionss they place on residential clients.

    Thanks,

    Linux_hawk

  2. Re: Website over DSL ?

    Linux Hawk wrote:
    > Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:
    >>

    > I would highly recommend calling your local phone and or cable provider
    > ( becarful with cable because some cable providers won't allow you to
    > run a server on a residential connection) Providers and inquiring about
    > there commercial grade dsl or burstible T1 or even FIOS (Verizons' home
    > owner grade fiber phone, tv and internet bundles)pricing,. Your besty
    > bet is to steer clear of Cable internet providers because of the
    > aforementioned restrictionss they place on residential clients.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Linux_hawk

    Have you looked into DynDNS? I've been using it for a couple of years
    now with Ameritech-to-SBC-to-AT&T DSL and have been quite happy. It
    updates when your IP address changes (such as when you power off your
    DSL modem), and you can, for a small one-time fee, use your own domain
    name. See http://www.dyndns.com

  3. Re: Website over DSL ?

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 08:32:07 -0400, Thomas Ronayne wrote:

    > Linux Hawk wrote:
    >> Madhusudan Singh wrote:
    >>
    >>> ray wrote:
    >>>

    >> I would highly recommend calling your local phone and or cable provider
    >> ( becarful with cable because some cable providers won't allow you to
    >> run a server on a residential connection) Providers and inquiring
    >> about there commercial grade dsl or burstible T1 or even FIOS
    >> (Verizons' home owner grade fiber phone, tv and internet
    >> bundles)pricing,. Your besty bet is to steer clear of Cable internet
    >> providers because of the aforementioned restrictionss they place on
    >> residential clients.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Linux_hawk
    >>

    > Have you looked into DynDNS? I've been using it for a couple of years
    > now with Ameritech-to-SBC-to-AT&T DSL and have been quite happy. It
    > updates when your IP address changes (such as when you power off your
    > DSL modem), and you can, for a small one-time fee, use your own domain
    > name. See http://www.dyndns.com

    i used to use noip.org for this job
    not because it was/is better but because it's what i started
    with and i never had any complaint with it so i stuck with it

+ Reply to Thread