FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (Beta 3) on Slackware - Slackware

This is a discussion on FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (Beta 3) on Slackware - Slackware ; I have just finished testing an install of the Lotus' Notes email/groupware client (version "8.5, beta 3") on Slackware 12.0. AFAICT, it appears to work identically to the Windows client. Also, it installed without a hitch under Slackware, even though ...

  1. FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (Beta 3) on Slackware

    I have just finished testing an install of the Lotus' Notes
    email/groupware client (version "8.5, beta 3") on Slackware 12.0.
    AFAICT, it appears to work identically to the Windows client. Also, it
    installed without a hitch under Slackware, even though it is not an
    officially supported distribution, but see notes below. This is good news
    for those using the Notes email platform, and who would also like to
    decouple their operations from the Windows platform, (and without
    switching to Ubuntu )

    When I loaded this version for the first time, I noticed some big
    improvements over the last version I tested. For one thing, it appears
    that the Eclipse environment depencancies have been removed; it is now a
    fully encapsulated application which works very much like any other
    application. It also creates an entry on the desktop menu, which makes it
    easy to find.

    DISCLAIMER: This worked for me. YMMV. I have not yet tested this
    extensively.

    More details about the test platform:

    As root, I did the following
    1. Installed a base Slackware 12.0
    2. Applied security patches.
    3. Installed a base Dropline Gnome 2.20 for Slackware 12.0. Perhaps,
    this was not necessary, but it looked like there were quite a few Gnome
    dependacies for the Lotus client.
    4. Added the user that I used to test the Notes client install.

    Then as the common user:
    5. Downloaded IBM's beta software for Lotus Notes. I think you will have
    the best results with "notes85_notes_linux_ismp_beta_prod.tar"

    Then as root:
    6. Untarred the downloaded package to a working directory and ran the
    script "setup.sh" This is a java application.

    Then as the common user (to test client):
    7. Started a Dropline Gnome X session. Then begin by choosing the "Lotus
    Notes 8.5" application from the menu beginning with
    "Applications"->"Office." The first time it runs it causes the final
    user "Setup" sequence to be performed.
    8. Tested functions and had a look around using the 8.5 client. Nice!

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  2. Re: FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (Beta 3) on Slackware

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:57:03 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > I have just finished testing an install of the Lotus' Notes
    > email/groupware client (version "8.5, beta 3") on Slackware 12.0.

    Upon further checking, it appears this may be beta 1. In any case, the
    "notes.ini" reports: NOTES_VERSION_NUMBER=8.5.00.8147

    I guess, one too many facts spinning around in my head from Googling the
    topic.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (Beta 3) on Slackware

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:57:03 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > I have just finished testing an install of the Lotus' Notes
    > email/groupware client

    thanks Douglas for the information, I'm sure it may help
    some of us to help some of our contractors, at least as
    long (target one week) as needed to remind them there are
    in the list of things that mortals should not try and use,
    which list, of course, include DomeNot-LocustNope and aXeChung ;-}

    And, do not think that's prank! on the 8th day,
    trespassers will be shot; squeezed; dried and
    finally included in a VBS easter egg. You've been warned!

  4. Re: FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (Beta 3) on Slackware

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 22:25:27 +0000, loki harfagr wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:57:03 -0600, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >
    >> I have just finished testing an install of the Lotus' Notes
    >> email/groupware client

    > thanks Douglas for the information, I'm sure it may help
    > some of us to help some of our contractors, at least as
    > long (target one week) as needed to remind them there are
    > in the list of things that mortals should not try and use,
    > which list, of course, include DomeNot-LocustNope and aXeChung ;-}

    AFAIK, Domino is not the same as Exchange. IMO, Domino has the big
    advantage because it's cross platform, and now they've added a good Linux
    client on par with their Windows version. But it's probably irrelevent,
    because in the future, all mail will probably be served from Google
    anyway. If not that online service, then I have been impressed with the
    interface of IMP H3.

    > And, do not think that's prank! on the 8th day,
    > trespassers will be shot; squeezed; dried and finally included in a VBS
    > easter egg. You've been warned!

    Is that freeze dried or air dried? Still sounds nasty, though. $p

    If you haven't ever listened to this record:
    http://www.amazon.com/Reality-What-C.../dp/B00005TPHP

    You should, esp. tracks 10 and 11. ;-}

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  5. Re: FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (Beta 3) on Slackware

    Douglas Mayne wrote:

    > client on par with their Windows version. But it's probably irrelevent,
    > because in the future, all mail will probably be served from Google
    > anyway. If not that online service, then I have been impressed with the
    > interface of IMP H3.

    I think Notes just might always have a niche for large corporations. One
    I worked for liked it because they viewed it as more secure than any MS
    Windows options. Accountability, proving who sent what, was just becoming a
    big deal. They were also sold on the idea of using Notes for everything -
    document control, training, mandatory forms they make you fill out every
    year, etc.... I seem to remember Notes as having been sold as a one stop
    solution for all that large corporate bureaucracy. I haven't used it in
    a few years - can't say I liked much of anything about it. It seemed
    clunky, slow (on our network, at least), and not very intuitive.

    - Kurt

+ Reply to Thread