static IP address? - Slackware

This is a discussion on static IP address? - Slackware ; I leased a static IP address from RCN (which has a telecommunications monopoly in our building). I have had difficulty configuring my network using this address, and I come to find out from RCN that it's "not truly static". I ...

  1. static IP address?

    I leased a static IP address from RCN (which has a telecommunications
    monopoly in our building). I have had difficulty configuring my
    network using this address, and I come to find out from RCN that it's
    "not truly static".

    I can't get a clear story from RCN about what this could possibly
    mean. It would seem that a domain name has to be mapped to a
    *permanent* IP address, and that an address is either *static* or it's
    *not*. (I am a residential customer of RCN, but RCN claims that the
    "not truly static" IP address they sold me is the same thing that they
    sell to business customers who are hosting their own web servers.)

    I don't want to spend any more time trying to configure my network
    until I get clear on whether my the IP address I'm paying $20/month
    for is *really* static or not.

    I would appreciate any insights into this question.

    Thanks & Best Regards,

    Vwaju
    New York City

  2. Re: static IP address?

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:47:28 -0700 (PDT), Vwaju wrote:

    >I leased a static IP address from RCN (which has a telecommunications
    >monopoly in our building). I have had difficulty configuring my
    >network using this address, and I come to find out from RCN that it's
    >"not truly static".
    >
    >I can't get a clear story from RCN about what this could possibly
    >mean. It would seem that a domain name has to be mapped to a
    >*permanent* IP address, and that an address is either *static* or it's
    >*not*. (I am a residential customer of RCN, but RCN claims that the
    >"not truly static" IP address they sold me is the same thing that they
    >sell to business customers who are hosting their own web servers.)
    >
    >I don't want to spend any more time trying to configure my network
    >until I get clear on whether my the IP address I'm paying $20/month
    >for is *really* static or not.
    >
    >I would appreciate any insights into this question.

    Speaking for what I know about -- one example here -- I have a static IP,
    but it was dynamically allocated when I joined the ISP over four years ago.
    Since then the ISP changed wholesaler once, and my static IP also changed
    to a new IP block owned by the ISP. All I had to do was plug the new IP
    addr into my DNS service[1].

    I have ADSL and have the modem running bridged mode into a linux box with
    rp-pppoe. So when I make a connection to the ISP I get told my IP addr,
    the first hop IP and given a pair of nameserver IPs.

    [1] As far as domain name goes, I use a free service (dyndns.org) which
    also allows dynamic IPs, there are notifier scripts around to update the
    DNS. Only problem here is I have the generic ISP reverse lookup, but that
    doesn't matter 'cos I don't do direct email to the world from firewall
    box.

    Sorry I've not been following this thread, but how do you connect to the
    ISP or service? If it's DHCP your machine should get all info required to
    connect (nameservers, first hop IPs) automatically.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: static IP address?

    Hallo, Vwaju,

    Du meintest am 28.07.08:

    > I leased a static IP address from RCN (which has a telecommunications
    > monopoly in our building). I have had difficulty configuring my
    > network using this address, and I come to find out from RCN that it's
    > "not truly static".

    Sorry - but that is no slackware problem.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  4. Re: static IP address?

    On Jul 29, 11:28 am, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    Alan --

    Thanks for your response.

    I have a cable modem from RCN.

    I'm guessing the modem is proprietary and I don't know whether it is
    DOCSIS compliant. (I could find these things out).

    I assume that the cable service is fiber from RCN to the "head-end"
    and cable from the head-end to our apartment. (I'm going by Andrew
    Tanenbaum's
    "Computer Networks".)

    Best Regards,

    Vwaju
    New York City

  5. Re: static IP address?

  6. Re: static IP address?

    On Jul 30, 1:48 pm, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

  7. Re: static IP address?

    Vwaju wrote:

    > So far, I always seem to get the same address -- just not the one RCN
    > told me was my static address.
    >
    > RCN tells me my static address is 207.237.37.110
    >
    > I have 2 Linux boxes . Whenever I reboot, one always seems to pull
    > 192.168.2.4 and the other always seems to pull 192.168.2.3 (according
    > to ifconfig).

    Do you have a Router? If you do it should have 207.237.37.110 on one
    interface and 192.168.2.something(usually a 1 or 254) on a different
    interface.

    If you go to http://www.ipchicken.com it will tell you your public IP
    address.

    --
    Ed

  8. Re: static IP address?

    Vwaju wrote :

    > RCN tells me my static address is 207.237.37.110

    Thats so true, if you check your message-header you'll find this:

    > I have 2 Linux boxes . Whenever I reboot, one always seems to pull
    > 192.168.2.4 and the other always seems to pull 192.168.2.3 (according
    > to ifconfig).

    Thats because you are behind a router.
    --
    Thomas O.

  9. Re: static IP address?

    Hallo, Vwaju,

    Du meintest am 31.07.08:

    > So far, I always seem to get the same address -- just not the one RCN
    > told me was my static address.

    > RCN tells me my static address is 207.237.37.110

    > I have 2 Linux boxes . Whenever I reboot, one always seems to pull
    > 192.168.2.4 and the other always seems to pull 192.168.2.3 (according
    > to ifconfig).

    What tells

    http://myip.dk
    http://myip.nl