remote login with ssh - Slackware

This is a discussion on remote login with ssh - Slackware ; I have 2 hosts: jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org ganymede.obliqueuniverse.org jupiter is running Debian 4.0 r3 _Etch_ ganymede is running Slackware 12.0 I have a static IP address (207.237.37.110) allocated by RCN. RCN has admitted to me, under duress, that the static IP address ...

  1. remote login with ssh

    I have 2 hosts:

    jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    ganymede.obliqueuniverse.org

    jupiter is running Debian 4.0 r3 _Etch_
    ganymede is running Slackware 12.0

    I have a static IP address (207.237.37.110) allocated by RCN. RCN has
    admitted to me, under duress, that the static IP address is "not truly
    static". I have not sorted out what this means, but I haven't been
    able yet to configure my either host for the (nominally) static IP
    address, so I have configured both with DHCP. In this circumstance,
    they can both reach the internet (ping, ftp, http). They are both
    connected by Ethernet cable to the LAN ports on the back of my Dell
    Truemobile 2300 Wireless Router.

    I want to log into jupiter from ganymede. (jupiter is up and running
    sshd.)

    I execute the following, with the output shown:

    root@ganymede:/# ssh admin@jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    ssh: jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org: Name or service not known

    root@ganymede:/# jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    ssh: jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org: Name or service not known

    root@ganymede:/# 207.237.37.110
    ssh: connect to host 207.237.37.110 port 22: connection refused

    Can anyone tell me why I am not able to login in to jupiter from
    ganyemede?

  2. Re: remote login with ssh

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:12:58 -0700, Vwaju wrote:

    > I have 2 hosts:
    >
    > jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    > ganymede.obliqueuniverse.org
    >
    > jupiter is running Debian 4.0 r3 _Etch_
    > ganymede is running Slackware 12.0
    >
    > I have a static IP address (207.237.37.110) allocated by RCN. RCN has
    > admitted to me, under duress, that the static IP address is "not truly
    > static". I have not sorted out what this means, but I haven't been
    > able yet to configure my either host for the (nominally) static IP
    > address, so I have configured both with DHCP. In this circumstance,
    > they can both reach the internet (ping, ftp, http). They are both
    > connected by Ethernet cable to the LAN ports on the back of my Dell
    > Truemobile 2300 Wireless Router.
    >
    > I want to log into jupiter from ganymede. (jupiter is up and running
    > sshd.)
    >
    > I execute the following, with the output shown:
    >
    > root@ganymede:/# ssh admin@jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    > ssh: jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org: Name or service not known
    >
    > root@ganymede:/# jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    > ssh: jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org: Name or service not known
    >
    > root@ganymede:/# 207.237.37.110
    > ssh: connect to host 207.237.37.110 port 22: connection refused
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why I am not able to login in to jupiter from
    > ganyemede?

    You have to be careful here, especially if using addresses in the public
    IP range. You can have names that aren't registered with the DNS
    authority, especially if you're using a private range (10.0.0.0/8,
    192.168.0.0/24, etc.) Your private network can then be firewalled from the
    internet as a whole with a defined gateway, etc. You can run a local DNS
    which provides over-rides into your local range. Again, caution is the
    word whenever you are working in the public IP space.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: remote login with ssh

    "Vwaju" wrote in message
    >I have 2 hosts:
    >
    > jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    > ganymede.obliqueuniverse.org
    >
    > jupiter is running Debian 4.0 r3 _Etch_
    > ganymede is running Slackware 12.0
    >
    > I have a static IP address (207.237.37.110) allocated by RCN. RCN has
    > admitted to me, under duress, that the static IP address is "not truly
    > static". I have not sorted out what this means, but I haven't been
    > able yet to configure my either host for the (nominally) static IP
    > address, so I have configured both with DHCP. In this circumstance,
    > they can both reach the internet (ping, ftp, http). They are both
    > connected by Ethernet cable to the LAN ports on the back of my Dell
    > Truemobile 2300 Wireless Router.
    >
    > I want to log into jupiter from ganymede. (jupiter is up and running
    > sshd.)
    >
    > I execute the following, with the output shown:
    >
    > root@ganymede:/# ssh admin@jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    > ssh: jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org: Name or service not known
    >
    > root@ganymede:/# jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    > ssh: jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org: Name or service not known
    >
    > root@ganymede:/# 207.237.37.110
    > ssh: connect to host 207.237.37.110 port 22: connection refused
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why I am not able to login in to jupiter from
    > ganyemede?

    Since you got online with DHCP, your IP addresses may not be what you expect
    them to be.

    What does ifconfig report on these hosts?

    Tim

  4. Re: remote login with ssh

    On Jul 28, 1:47 pm, "Tim" wrote:
    > "Vwaju" wrote in message

    > >I have 2 hosts:

    > > jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    > > ganymede.obliqueuniverse.org

    > > jupiter is running Debian 4.0 r3 _Etch_
    > > ganymede is running Slackware 12.0

    > > I have a static IP address (207.237.37.110) allocated by RCN. RCN has
    > > admitted to me, under duress, that the static IP address is "not truly
    > > static". I have not sorted out what this means, but I haven't been
    > > able yet to configure my either host for the (nominally) static IP
    > > address, so I have configured both with DHCP. In this circumstance,
    > > they can both reach the internet (ping, ftp, http). They are both
    > > connected by Ethernet cable to the LAN ports on the back of my Dell
    > > Truemobile 2300 Wireless Router.

    > > I want to log into jupiter from ganymede. (jupiter is up and running
    > > sshd.)

    > > I execute the following, with the output shown:

    > > root@ganymede:/# ssh ad...@jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    > > ssh: jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org: Name or service not known

    > > root@ganymede:/# jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org
    > > ssh: jupiter.obliqueuniverse.org: Name or service not known

    > > root@ganymede:/# 207.237.37.110
    > > ssh: connect to host 207.237.37.110 port 22: connection refused

    > > Can anyone tell me why I am not able to login in to jupiter from
    > > ganyemede?

    > Since you got online with DHCP, your IP addresses may not be what you expect
    > them to be.
    >
    > What does ifconfig report on these hosts?
    >
    > Tim

    Yes, your're quite right, if config reports 192.168.2.4 on jupiter and
    192.168.2.3 on ganymede. Using these parameters, I can ssh from
    ganymede to jupiter.

    Thanks for the help!

    Vwaju
    New York City