Changed NIC - Lost eth0 - No network for 12.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Changed NIC - Lost eth0 - No network for 12.1 - Slackware ; Long story but a hardware problem caused me to have to change NIC (on moo). I still have Slack 11 on my drive and I am now using... 02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 0$ Subsystem: ...

  1. Changed NIC - Lost eth0 - No network for 12.1

    Long story but a hardware problem caused me to have to change NIC (on
    moo).

    I still have Slack 11 on my drive and I am now using...

    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet
    Controller (rev 0$
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation D865PERL mainboard

    This requires the eepro100 module. I had this support already built in
    as this was an emergency backup motherboard.

    Slack 11 just booted right up and continued to stay connected.
    Slackware 12.1 lost eth0 and now only sees the NIC as eth1.

    Despite running netconfig and trying both dhcp and a static IP (from
    router - 192.168.0.100) I can not ping or connect to the outside
    world. I can ping the router if I use a static IP.

    Apparently something has changed in the scripts and after looking for
    at least 3 hours I can not find the problem.

    I really need my machine working 100% right now as I'm in the middle of
    a series of events that are important.

    Man I really need some help ASAP on this as this is causing me huge
    problems. Any ideas - TIA.

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  2. Re: Changed NIC - Lost eth0 - No network for 12.1

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Long story but a hardware problem caused me to have to change NIC (on
    > moo).
    >
    > I still have Slack 11 on my drive and I am now using...
    >
    > 02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet
    > Controller (rev 0$
    > Subsystem: Intel Corporation D865PERL mainboard
    >
    > This requires the eepro100 module. I had this support already built in
    > as this was an emergency backup motherboard.
    >
    > Slack 11 just booted right up and continued to stay connected.
    > Slackware 12.1 lost eth0 and now only sees the NIC as eth1.

    Delete or manually edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    and reboot. A reboot is probably overkill but it's a quick way
    to set up things in the right order.

    Udev uses /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to consistently
    assign the same eth? name to the same NIC on systems with several
    NIC's.

    If you delete the file it will be recreated during the boot process.
    If you chose to edit the file then remove the line ending with
    NAME="eth0" and change the line that ends with NAME="eth1" to end
    with NAME="eth0".

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  3. Re: Changed NIC - Lost eth0 - No network for 12.1

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:10:08 -0400, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > Long story but a hardware problem caused me to have to change NIC (on
    > moo).
    >
    > I still have Slack 11 on my drive and I am now using...
    >
    > 02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet
    > Controller (rev 0$
    > Subsystem: Intel Corporation D865PERL mainboard
    >
    > This requires the eepro100 module. I had this support already built in
    > as this was an emergency backup motherboard.
    >
    > Slack 11 just booted right up and continued to stay connected. Slackware
    > 12.1 lost eth0 and now only sees the NIC as eth1.
    >
    > Despite running netconfig and trying both dhcp and a static IP (from
    > router - 192.168.0.100) I can not ping or connect to the outside world.
    > I can ping the router if I use a static IP.

    If you ran netconfig and did precise your card was eth1 it
    *should* work, I can't imagine the problem you have without checking
    your /etc/rc.d/inet1.conf file :-)

    > Apparently something has changed in the scripts and after looking for at
    > least 3 hours I can not find the problem.

    In case you mean that you migrated from 11.0 towards 12.1, yes there
    were a bit of a wind of change in a few files ;D)
    I suspect a problem with clashing modules/udev/hotplug/fixedfiles
    but, anyway...

    > I really need my machine working 100% right now as I'm in the middle of
    > a series of events that are important.
    >
    > Man I really need some help ASAP on this as this is causing me huge
    > problems. Any ideas - TIA.

    You could try and adapt some rules in your udev conf files but
    maybe just forcing it by the module would be easier in your case;
    create a file (or add a line to it) /etc/modprobe.d/net
    with a line like:
    ------------
    alias eth0 eepro100
    ------------

    this 'should', at least temporarily, fix you up and give you some free
    time to check what to repair where then why ;-)

  4. Re: Changed NIC - Lost eth0 - No network for 12.1

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:23:48 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote:

    >> Slack 11 just booted right up and continued to stay connected.
    >> Slackware 12.1 lost eth0 and now only sees the NIC as eth1.

    > Delete or manually edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    > and reboot. A reboot is probably overkill but it's a quick way
    > to set up things in the right order.

    > Udev uses /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to consistently
    > assign the same eth? name to the same NIC on systems with several
    > NIC's.

    > If you delete the file it will be recreated during the boot process.
    > If you chose to edit the file then remove the line ending with
    > NAME="eth0" and change the line that ends with NAME="eth1" to end
    > with NAME="eth0".

    Thank you thank you thank you! !!! Oh man I had to get this done by 5PM
    EST Saturday and finished at 3:30. Whew - that was a close one.

    I figured udev was buggering up the works somehow but couldn't trace
    it. Actually I haven't "got it" yet when it comes to udev.

    Your help was priceless - Uh oh. Now you own my soul :-)

    --
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: Changed NIC - Lost eth0 - No network for 12.1

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > I figured udev was buggering up the works somehow but couldn't trace
    > it. Actually I haven't "got it" yet when it comes to udev.

    Similar for me. Udev seems to live in the same twighlight world as sendmail
    m4 files and the now defunct ipchain rules.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread