Epson USB scanner and 12.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Epson USB scanner and 12.1 - Slackware ; My Epson1240U scanner works with my 12.0 partition but not my 12.1. The /etc/sane.d/epson files are identical. But the /dev files are quite different. There is are no 12.1 equivalents to /dev/usbscanner or /dev/usb/scanner0. Once again the powers that be ...

  1. Epson USB scanner and 12.1

    My Epson1240U scanner works with my 12.0 partition but not my 12.1.
    The /etc/sane.d/epson files are identical. But the /dev files are
    quite different. There is are no 12.1 equivalents
    to /dev/usbscanner or /dev/usb/scanner0.

    Once again the powers that be have improved things to the point that
    they don't work any more.

    Rebooting 12.0 every time I need to scan things is a bit of a bore.
    All comments welcome.

    John Culleton

  2. Re: Epson USB scanner and 12.1

  3. Re: Epson USB scanner and 12.1

    On Jul 25, 5:32 pm, Steve Youngs wrote:
    > NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message
    >
    > *john@wexfordpress com writes:
    >
    > > My Epson1240U scanner works with my 12.0 partition but not my 12.1.
    > > The /etc/sane.d/epson files are identical. But the /dev files are
    > > quite different. There is are no 12.1 equivalents
    > > to /dev/usbscanner or /dev/usb/scanner0.

    > Adjust your udev rules.
    >
    > --
    > |---------------------|
    > | Genius - Is the ability to reduce |
    > | the complicated to the simple |
    > |-------------------------------------|

    Adjust them in /lib/udev? Can I just copy the rules from the 12.0
    partition and reboot? Or do I need to study the entire process?

    Thanks for any help.

    John Culleton

  4. Re: Epson USB scanner and 12.1

    On Jul 29, 9:01 am, "j...@wexfordpress.com"
    wrote:
    > On Jul 25, 5:32 pm, Steve Youngs wrote:

    > > NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message

    > > *john@wexfordpress com writes:

    > > > My Epson1240U scanner works with my 12.0 partition but not my 12.1.
    > > > The /etc/sane.d/epson files are identical. But the /dev files are
    > > > quite different. There is are no 12.1 equivalents
    > > > to /dev/usbscanner or /dev/usb/scanner0.

    > > Adjust your udev rules.

    > > --
    > > |---------------------|
    > > | Genius - Is the ability to reduce |
    > > | the complicated to the simple |
    > > |-------------------------------------|

    > Adjust them in /lib/udev? Can I just copy the rules from the 12.0
    > partition and reboot? Or do I need to study the entire process?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > JohnCulleton

    After more research it turns out that nothing has to be done to udev.
    File epson.conf needs to have just the single line usb
    uncommented and everything else commented. epson.conf needs to be
    chmod 777. A line needs to be added to
    fstab:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs devmode=666,auto 0 0

    Now root can use the scanner. My user name cannot. I will add my user
    name to the scanner group in etc/groups and reboot.

    John C.

  5. Re: Epson USB scanner and 12.1

    Problem solved.
    File /etc/sane.d/epson.conf needs to have just the single line
    usb
    uncommented and everything else commented.

    epson.conf needs to be
    chmod 777.

    A line needs to be added to fstab:

    none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs devmode=666,auto 0
    0

    My/your user name needs to be added to the scanner group in /etc/
    group

    John C.

  6. Re: Epson USB scanner and 12.1

    On 2008-07-29, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > Problem solved.
    > File /etc/sane.d/epson.conf needs to have just the single line
    > usb
    > uncommented and everything else commented.
    >
    > epson.conf needs to be
    > chmod 777.

    I really doubt that is true. Admittedly, I haven't scanned anything
    since I installed 12.1, but in 12.0 you don't need that, and it seems
    so unlikely that I'll go out on a limb w/o testing it.

    644 should be fine.

    > A line needs to be added to fstab:
    >
    > none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs devmode=666,auto 0
    > 0

    In 12.0, my system scanned fine w/o that line.

    > My/your user name needs to be added to the scanner group in /etc/
    > group

    Yup, I'm in full agreement there.

    Cheers.
    Jim

  7. Re: Epson USB scanner and 12.1

    On Jul 29, 7:50 pm, Jim Diamond wrote:
    > On 2008-07-29, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >
    > > Problem solved.
    > > File /etc/sane.d/epson.conf needs to have just the single line
    > > usb
    > > uncommented and everything else commented.

    > > epson.conf needs to be
    > > chmod 777.

    > I really doubt that is true. Admittedly, I haven't scanned anything
    > since I installed 12.1, but in 12.0 you don't need that, and it seems
    > so unlikely that I'll go out on a limb w/o testing it.
    >
    > 644 should be fine.
    >

    > > A line needs to be added to fstab:

    > > none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs devmode=666,auto 0
    > > 0

    > In 12.0, my system scanned fine w/o that line.
    >

    > > My/your user name needs to be added to the scanner group in /etc/
    > > group

    > Yup, I'm in full agreement there.
    >
    > Cheers.
    > Jim

    I would like to agree with you but I have both 12.0 and 12.1 on
    separate partitions. 12.0 works without those changes but 12.1 didn't.
    It may be that the switch to kernel 2.6.x changed things.

    Suggest you file my comments away for use if/when you go up to 12.1.
    I based them on an earlier post addressing the same problem. I didn't
    make it up.

    Best,

    John Culleton

  8. Re: Epson USB scanner and 12.1

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > On Jul 29, 7:50 pm, Jim Diamond wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-29, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Problem solved.
    >>> File /etc/sane.d/epson.conf needs to have just the single line
    >>> usb
    >>> uncommented and everything else commented.

    >>> epson.conf needs to be
    >>> chmod 777.

    >> I really doubt that is true. Admittedly, I haven't scanned anything
    >> since I installed 12.1, but in 12.0 you don't need that, and it seems
    >> so unlikely that I'll go out on a limb w/o testing it.
    >>
    >> 644 should be fine.
    >>

    >>> A line needs to be added to fstab:

    >>> none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs devmode=666,auto 0
    >>> 0

    >> In 12.0, my system scanned fine w/o that line.
    >>

    >>> My/your user name needs to be added to the scanner group in /etc/
    >>> group

    >> Yup, I'm in full agreement there.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >> Jim

    > I would like to agree with you but I have both 12.0 and 12.1 on
    > separate partitions. 12.0 works without those changes but 12.1 didn't.
    > It may be that the switch to kernel 2.6.x changed things.
    >
    > Suggest you file my comments away for use if/when you go up to 12.1.
    > I based them on an earlier post addressing the same problem. I didn't
    > make it up.

    But his comment reminds me of times I've needed to fix something,
    and not sure what. So I go through various things, and finally something
    works. But just because I tried some things first, which didn't affect
    anything so I never bothered changing them back, doesn't mean all the
    steps are needed. It could very easily be the very last step, and that
    step alone.

    When this sort of thing is being done, it often is worth going back
    and removing the preliminary steps to see if they were really needed.

    Michael

  9. Re: Epson USB scanner and 12.1

    On Jul 30, 9:51 am, Michael Black wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > >> I really doubt that is true. Admittedly, I haven't scanned anything
    > >> since I installed 12.1, but in 12.0 you don't need that, and it seems
    > >> so unlikely that I'll go out on a limb w/o testing it.

    > >> 644 should be fine.

    > >> In 12.0, my system scanned fine w/o that line.

    > >> Yup, I'm in full agreement there.

    > >> Cheers.
    > >> Jim

    > > I would like to agree with you but I have both 12.0 and 12.1 on
    > > separate partitions. 12.0 works without those changes but 12.1 didn't.
    > > It may be that the switch to kernel 2.6.x changed things.

    > > Suggest you file my comments away for use if/when you go up to 12.1.
    > > I based them on an earlier post addressing the same problem. I didn't
    > > make it up.

    > But his comment reminds me of times I've needed to fix something,
    > and not sure what. So I go through various things, and finally something
    > works. But just because I tried some things first, which didn't affect
    > anything so I never bothered changing them back, doesn't mean all the
    > steps are needed. It could very easily be the very last step, and that
    > step alone.
    >
    > When this sort of thing is being done, it often is worth going back
    > and removing the preliminary steps to see if they were really needed.
    >
    > Michael

    In this case the key step is the non-intuitive one, the extra line in
    fstab.
    Before I added my own login name to the scanner group only root could
    scan.
    So that is pretty obvious. Changing the epson.conf file permissions
    was necessary in 12.0.
    The extra line in fstab is now required and that is the
    breakthrough.

    John C.

  10. Re: Epson USB scanner and 12.1

    On 2008-07-31, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > On Jul 30, 9:51 am, Michael Black wrote:

    >> > I would like to agree with you but I have both 12.0 and 12.1 on
    >> > separate partitions. 12.0 works without those changes but 12.1 didn't.
    >> > It may be that the switch to kernel 2.6.x changed things.

    >> > Suggest you file my comments away for use if/when you go up to 12.1.
    >> > I based them on an earlier post addressing the same problem. I didn't
    >> > make it up.

    >> But his comment reminds me of times I've needed to fix something,
    >> and not sure what. So I go through various things, and finally something
    >> works. But just because I tried some things first, which didn't affect
    >> anything so I never bothered changing them back, doesn't mean all the
    >> steps are needed. It could very easily be the very last step, and that
    >> step alone.
    >>
    >> When this sort of thing is being done, it often is worth going back
    >> and removing the preliminary steps to see if they were really needed.
    >>
    >> Michael

    > In this case the key step is the non-intuitive one, the extra line in
    > fstab.
    > Before I added my own login name to the scanner group only root could
    > scan.
    > So that is pretty obvious. Changing the epson.conf file permissions
    > was necessary in 12.0.
    > The extra line in fstab is now required and that is the
    > breakthrough.

    John,

    not to be gratuitously argumentative, but for the sake of completeness...

    I just scanned something with my Epson scanner using Slack 12.1.

    (1) I do not have the /proc/bus/usb line in my /etc/fstab
    Note that even without that I do have files in /proc/bus/usb,
    so if you don't without that fstab line, that is a somewhat
    different issue.
    (2) I did add myself to the scanner group
    (3) I did not need to modify epson.conf (*)
    (4) epson.conf is owned by root, group root, and has 644 perms.

    (*) In some earlier versions of Slackware I did need to edit epson.conf to
    comment out "scsi", but in Slack 12.1 it works without editing that file.

    I have an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo (a.k.a. GT-X800 depending on
    where you live) and it works fine (at least for scanning things other
    than negatives) with both the epson and epson2 back ends. In earlier
    versions of Slackware I had used it with the epkowa backend, which may
    be what I should be using now.

    In any case, I think a lot of your configs are unnecessary. By any
    chance, did you upgrade to Slack 12.1 rather than doing a clean
    install? It sounds like something is a bit fishy with your system.

    Cheers.
    Jim

+ Reply to Thread