compile wacom driver for x - Slackware

This is a discussion on compile wacom driver for x - Slackware ; After upgrading to Slackware 12.1 I am trying to get my wacom tablet to work properly again, but it seems I lack the proper driver for X. I tried the precompiled driver wacom_drv.o from linuxwacom-0.8.0-3.tar.bz2 (Linux Wacom Project) but that ...

  1. compile wacom driver for x

    After upgrading to Slackware 12.1 I am trying to get my wacom tablet to work properly
    again, but it seems I lack the proper driver for X. I tried the precompiled driver wacom_drv.o
    from linuxwacom-0.8.0-3.tar.bz2 (Linux Wacom Project) but that gives me:

    (II) LoadModule: "wacom"
    (WW) Warning, couldn't open module wacom
    (II) UnloadModule: "wacom"
    (EE) Failed to load module "wacom" (module does not exist, 0)

    Then I tried wacom_drv.so but

    (II) LoadModule: "wacom"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//wacom_drv.so
    (II) Module wacom: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 1.0.0
    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
    ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.5
    (EE) module ABI major version (0) doesn't match the server's version (2)
    (II) UnloadModule: "wacom"
    (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//wacom_drv.so
    (EE) Failed to load module "wacom" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

    I haven't seen this before, but my guess is the latter driver should work if it matched
    my version of X (or sth else). However, building the driver seems not to work
    either, because Slackware seems to be an incomplete built environment:

    BUILD ENVIRONMENT:
    architecture - i486-slackware-linux
    linux kernel - yes 2.6.24
    module versioning - no
    kernel source - yes /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-smp/source
    XFree86 source - no
    Xorg SDK - yes /usr/include/xorg
    XSERVER64 - no
    dlloader - yes
    XLib - yes /usr/lib
    TCL - yes /usr/include
    TK - yes /usr/include
    ncurses - yes

    My suspicion is that I need "XFree86 source". Is that possible at all? If yes, how would I
    install that? (or a usable equivalent from xorg)?

    Or perhaps there is another solution to get my tablet (Wacom Graphire3) working?

    Thanks

  2. Re: compile wacom driver for x

    frederick@xs4all.nl wrote:
    > (EE) Failed to load module "wacom" (module does not exist, 0)

    as the error message tells you, the module does not exist. that may mean
    that it cannot be found.

    > (EE) module ABI major version (0) doesn't match the server's version (2)

    [...]
    > (EE) Failed to load module "wacom" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
    >
    > I haven't seen this before, but my guess is the latter driver should work if it matched
    > my version of X (or sth else).

    that looks like a valid conclusion, given the error messages.

    > However, building the driver seems not to work
    > either, because Slackware seems to be an incomplete built environment:
    >
    > BUILD ENVIRONMENT:
    > architecture - i486-slackware-linux
    > linux kernel - yes 2.6.24
    > module versioning - no
    > kernel source - yes /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-smp/source
    > XFree86 source - no
    > Xorg SDK - yes /usr/include/xorg
    > XSERVER64 - no
    > dlloader - yes
    > XLib - yes /usr/lib
    > TCL - yes /usr/include
    > TK - yes /usr/include
    > ncurses - yes
    >
    > My suspicion is that I need "XFree86 source". Is that possible at all? If yes, how would I
    > install that? (or a usable equivalent from xorg)?

    i'm assuming this is the output from configure, right? first, i find it a
    bit odd that it should still mention "XFree86 source", since the X.org
    implementation of X is much more widely used. but anyway, if this is the
    output of configure, then i doubt you need the x11 sources to compile the
    driver. if it were a requirement, configure would most likely just produce
    an error message and quit.

    since you're not saying what the error is that make produces, it's
    impossible to tell what the problem might be, though. so you'll need to
    post that output if you want to get a better answer... also, have you tried
    the mailing lists or forums of the linux wacom project? there here:

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  3. Re: compile wacom driver for x

    Joost Kremers wrote:
    > frederick@xs4all.nl wrote:
    >> (EE) module ABI major version (0) doesn't match the server's version (2)

    > [...]
    >> (EE) Failed to load module "wacom" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
    >>
    >> I haven't seen this before, but my guess is the latter driver should work if it matched
    >> my version of X (or sth else).

    > that looks like a valid conclusion, given the error messages.
    >
    >> However, building the driver seems not to work
    >> either, because Slackware seems to be an incomplete built environment:
    >>
    >> BUILD ENVIRONMENT:
    >> architecture - i486-slackware-linux
    >> linux kernel - yes 2.6.24
    >> module versioning - no
    >> kernel source - yes /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-smp/source
    >> XFree86 source - no
    >> Xorg SDK - yes /usr/include/xorg
    >> XSERVER64 - no
    >> dlloader - yes
    >> XLib - yes /usr/lib
    >> TCL - yes /usr/include
    >> TK - yes /usr/include
    >> ncurses - yes
    >>
    >> My suspicion is that I need "XFree86 source". Is that possible at all? If yes, how would I
    >> install that? (or a usable equivalent from xorg)?

    > i'm assuming this is the output from configure, right? first, i find it a
    > bit odd that it should still mention "XFree86 source", since the X.org
    > implementation of X is much more widely used. but anyway, if this is the
    > output of configure, then i doubt you need the x11 sources to compile the
    > driver. if it were a requirement, configure would most likely just produce
    > an error message and quit.
    >
    > since you're not saying what the error is that make produces, it's
    > i--enable-dlloader=yesmpossible to tell what the problem might be, though. so you'll need to
    > post that output if you want to get a better answer...

    No, configure simply removes to be compiled drivers from the list
    when certain requirements are not met. Therefore no error in make.

    It's true I could have misjudged *something* but my first hunch was
    that it has something to do with how Slackware has been put together
    (otherwise the precompiled would have sufficed anyway).

    > the mailing lists or forums of the linux wacom project? there here:

    I expected them to say, well just fetch the sources and compile a matching
    driver yourself... therefore I thought, lets try that first.

    Thanks.

  4. Re: compile wacom driver for x

    frederick@xs4all.nl wrote:
    > I expected them to say, well just fetch the sources and compile a matching
    > driver yourself... therefore I thought, lets try that first.

    mmm, a quick look at /boot/config suggests that the default slackware
    kernel doesn't have tablet support compiled in, so no matter how often you
    recompile the X drivers, you're not gonna be able to use your tablet
    without recompiling the kernel...

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)