Alternative to KDE. - Slackware

This is a discussion on Alternative to KDE. - Slackware ; KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with Slack 12.1? ...

  1. Alternative to KDE.

    KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium
    III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does
    anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with
    Slack 12.1?

    John C.

  2. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:08:19 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium III
    > Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does anyone know
    > the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with Slack 12.1?

    Xfce's requirement is significantly lower and should run OK on 128Mb.

    Why don't you just ****ing try it and see?

    Free clue: "xwmconfig".

  3. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:08:19 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium III
    > Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does anyone know
    > the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with Slack 12.1?

    Fluxbox is "lighter" than XFCE, but how the other window managers
    in Slackware compare, I don't know. Here's a website that can give you an
    idea, and that indicates XFCE isn't all that lightweight if you consider
    all the libraries it needs:

    http://www.gilesorr.org/wm/

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  4. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    On 2008-07-24, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium
    > III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does
    > anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with
    > Slack 12.1?

    fvwm probably takes the least memory of all of them. I've run it on a
    lot less than 128 Mbytes.

    Bud

  5. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:47:19 -0500, wrhamblen@comcast.net wrote:

    >On 2008-07-24, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium
    >> III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does
    >> anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with
    >> Slack 12.1?

    >fvwm probably takes the least memory of all of them. I've run it on a
    >lot less than 128 Mbytes.

    Nah, gotta go twm )

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  6. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium
    > III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does
    > anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with
    > Slack 12.1?

    I'm still using the same window manager I was using 15 years ago: mwm.
    The version from openmotif-2.3.0 takes about 8 meg under Slack 12.1...

  7. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    In article ,
    Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:08:19 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >
    > > KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium III
    > > Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does anyone know
    > > the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with Slack 12.1?

    > Xfce's requirement is significantly lower and should run OK on 128Mb.
    >
    > Why don't you just ****ing try it and see?

    Hey John, no one would dare say that to you on the Yahoo Groups Self-Pub
    list :-) (They would on pub-forum!)

    Private joke. I'll let John explain if he cares to. He's the alpha dog
    on a list he moderates with two women.

    ANC

  8. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    Chris Sorenson writes:

    >john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium
    >> III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does
    >> anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with
    >> Slack 12.1?
    >>

    >I'm still using the same window manager I was using 15 years ago: mwm.
    >The version from openmotif-2.3.0 takes about 8 meg under Slack 12.1...

    I like fvwm which comes on Slack (well, on my slack 12.0). Lean,
    mean, & with some tinkering, you can create a buttonbar that starts
    your favorite apps & a "look" & "sound".

    In fact, I jury-rigged my laptop's ubuntu to run fvwm - big
    improvement (for me) over the standard gnome wm.

    --
    <> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | |||| We sure |||| <>
    <> bgeer@xmission.com | == == find it == == <>

  9. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    bgeer wrote:

    > Chris Sorenson writes:
    >
    > >john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > >> KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium
    > >> III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does
    > >> anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with
    > >> Slack 12.1?
    > >>

    > >I'm still using the same window manager I was using 15 years ago: mwm.
    > >The version from openmotif-2.3.0 takes about 8 meg under Slack 12.1...

    > I like fvwm which comes on Slack (well, on my slack 12.0). Lean,
    > mean, & with some tinkering, you can create a buttonbar that starts
    > your favorite apps & a "look" & "sound".
    >
    > In fact, I jury-rigged my laptop's ubuntu to run fvwm - big
    > improvement (for me) over the standard gnome wm.

    But does it have a clipboard? Last I remember it didn't. And I can dispense
    with much, but I do need a clipboard.

  10. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    wrhamblen@comcast.net trolled:
    > On 2008-07-24, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium
    >> III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does
    >> anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with
    >> Slack 12.1?

    > fvwm probably takes the least memory of all of them. I've run it on a
    > lot less than 128 Mbytes.

    Why not boot X up straight into xterm? There are clowns in this ng
    who do exactly that, although most of them have been laughed at and
    chased out of here.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  11. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    ANC wrote:

    > Private joke.

    And nobody cares.

    > I'll let John explain if he cares to.

    I'll bet he doesn't care to.

    > He's the alpha dog
    > on a list he moderates with two women.

    You said you would let him explain, then you explained, without taking a
    breath. Again, nobody cares. Please go bore some other people.

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  12. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    bgeer wrote:

    > I like fvwm which comes on Slack (well, on my slack 12.0). Lean,
    > mean, & with some tinkering, you can create a buttonbar that starts
    > your favorite apps & a "look" & "sound".

    Tried vnc the other day and twm popped up! Do you think we ought to sneak
    over to alt.os.linux.ubuntu and propose tubuntu on 1st April... ;-)

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  13. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:51:54 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    >bgeer wrote:
    >

    >> I like fvwm which comes on Slack (well, on my slack 12.0). Lean,
    >> mean, & with some tinkering, you can create a buttonbar that starts
    >> your favorite apps & a "look" & "sound".

    >Tried vnc the other day and twm popped up! Do you think we ought to sneak
    >over to alt.os.linux.ubuntu and propose tubuntu on 1st April... ;-)

    Sounds good! )

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  14. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    On 2008-07-24, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium
    > III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does
    > anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with
    > Slack 12.1?

    I'm running 12.1 on a PII with 315M ram. Works just fine. I messed with
    different ram configs and discovered anything less than 256M ram is gonna
    start slowing X down. Half a gig of ram is even better if you can fit it.
    As I recall, Compaq used to jerk you around by using parity memory.

    Another consideration is your motherboard and chipset. If you have
    something like an intel i810 system, you may have cpu-sharing peripheral
    probs which more memory may not solve. My PII runs fine because my sound
    and video pci cards have their own processing and memory chips, so there is
    no drain on the cpu and ram. This also depends on you configuring slack
    properly. By default, Slack uses vesa for video until you config X to use
    your peripheral's drivers.

    nb

  15. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    On 2008-07-26, Chris Sorenson wrote:
    > john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> KDE is jolly on my main machine but kind of chokes on my 128MB Pentium
    >> III Compaq. I note that xfce is an alternative among others. Does
    >> anyone know the memory requirements of the various guis shipped with
    >> Slack 12.1?
    >>

    > I'm still using the same window manager I was using 15 years ago: mwm.
    > The version from openmotif-2.3.0 takes about 8 meg under Slack 12.1...

    there is always xfce, full featured and light weight

    vb

  16. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    In article ,
    Old Man wrote:

    > You said you would let him explain, then you explained, without taking a
    > breath. Again, nobody cares. Please go bore some other people.

    Obviously, YOU care!

    I love to come here every once in a while, play a little violin music
    and hear the wild dogs who seek to run this newsgroup howl away.

    It never fails.

    ANC

  17. Re: Alternative to KDE.

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:41:35 -0700, ANC wrote:

    >> Xfce's requirement is significantly lower and should run OK on 128Mb.
    >> Why don't you just ****ing try it and see?

    > Hey John, no one would dare say that to you on the Yahoo Groups Self-Pub
    > list :-) (They would on pub-forum!)

    Oooooh, is he a big scary tough-guy, like you, fatboy?

    > Private joke. I'll let John explain if he cares to. He's the alpha dog on
    > a list he moderates with two women.

    You sure do have some kind of obsession with dogs. Does the obsession
    also include various farm animals?

    > ANC

    Smeg off.

  18. Re: Alternative to KDE.