bootchart problems on Slackware 12.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on bootchart problems on Slackware 12.1 - Slackware ; Hi, Anybody out there tried bootchart with 12.1? http://www.bootchart.org/ I've just installed 12.1 and was interested to compare boot times between huge-smp and generic-smp kernels. The /sbin/bootchartd script runs fine with huge-smp kernel and produces /var/log/bootchart.tgz But doesn't appear to ...

  1. bootchart problems on Slackware 12.1

    Hi,

    Anybody out there tried bootchart with 12.1?
    http://www.bootchart.org/

    I've just installed 12.1 and was interested to compare boot times
    between huge-smp and generic-smp kernels.

    The /sbin/bootchartd script runs fine with huge-smp kernel
    and produces /var/log/bootchart.tgz
    But doesn't appear to run at all with the generic-smp kernel
    and doesn't create /var/log/bootchart.tgz.

    I modifed bootchartd with a monitor command near the top, like
    date > /home/user/file.txt
    and as this didn't produce a result I concluded it wasn't running.

    I'm using grub and my menu.lst entries are here:
    # (2) sda9 (hd0,8)
    title Slackware 12.1--2.6.24.5-smp huge /dev/sda9 Bootchart
    root (hd0,8)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda9 ro vga=791 init=/sbin/bootchartd

    # (3) sda9 (hd0,8)
    title Slackware 12.1--2.6.24.5-smp generic /dev/sda9 Bootchart
    root (hd0,8)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.24.5-smp root=/dev/sda9 ro vga=791
    init=/sbin/bootchartd
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz

    I suspect the problem is due to the generic kernel using an initrd.
    But the example menu.lst on http://www.bootchart.org/docs.html
    shows use of an initrd, similar to my menu.lst

    Anybody any ideas?

    Cheers,

    Peter

  2. Re: bootchart problems on Slackware 12.1

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:39:20 -0500, geep wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Anybody out there tried bootchart with 12.1?
    >http://www.bootchart.org/
    >
    >I've just installed 12.1 and was interested to compare boot times
    >between huge-smp and generic-smp kernels.
    >
    >The /sbin/bootchartd script runs fine with huge-smp kernel
    >and produces /var/log/bootchart.tgz
    >But doesn't appear to run at all with the generic-smp kernel
    >and doesn't create /var/log/bootchart.tgz.
    >
    >I modifed bootchartd with a monitor command near the top, like
    >date > /home/user/file.txt
    >and as this didn't produce a result I concluded it wasn't running.

    Well, no ... not very much is mounted / running at that point?

    Ran okay with lilo for me, can't help with grub or distro kernels
    as I don't use them.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: bootchart problems on Slackware 12.1

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:39:14 +1000, Grant wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:39:20 -0500, geep
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Anybody out there tried bootchart with 12.1? http://www.bootchart.org/
    >>
    >>I've just installed 12.1 and was interested to compare boot times
    >>between huge-smp and generic-smp kernels.
    >>
    >>The /sbin/bootchartd script runs fine with huge-smp kernel and produces
    >>/var/log/bootchart.tgz
    >>But doesn't appear to run at all with the generic-smp kernel and doesn't
    >>create /var/log/bootchart.tgz.
    >>
    >>I modifed bootchartd with a monitor command near the top, like date >
    >>/home/user/file.txt
    >>and as this didn't produce a result I concluded it wasn't running.

    > Well, no ... not very much is mounted / running at that point?
    >
    > Ran okay with lilo for me, can't help with grub or distro kernels as I
    > don't use them.
    >
    > Grant.

    Hi Grant,
    Thanks for comments.
    I moved my monitor command further down the bootchartd script, and
    it definitely runs on the occasions that /sbin/bootchartd runs.

    I tried 4 combinations of huge and generic+initrd kernel with and without
    bootchart using Lilo with Slack 12.1 running in Virtualbox.
    Again I find that bootchart only gives results with the huge kernel,
    and not with the generic+initrd.
    Comparing dmesg's doesn't show anything relevant, apart from confirming
    the kernel options.
    But /var/log/syslog contains this helpful entry:
    Jul 24 21:43:07 vboxslack12_1 kernel: Failed to execute /sbin/
    bootchartd. Attempting defaults...

    Anyway, life's to short to worry about it.
    So back to fixing my central heating pump and hot water tank `stat...

    Cheers,
    Peter
    PS My lilo.conf has:
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda1
    label = Linux_hg
    append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
    read-only
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda1
    label = Linux_hg_bcht
    append=" vt.default_utf8=0 init=/sbin/bootchartd"
    read-only
    image = /boot/vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.24.5-smp
    initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
    root = /dev/hda1
    label = Linux_gn
    append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
    read-only
    image = /boot/vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.24.5-smp
    initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
    root = /dev/hda1
    label = Linux_gn_bcht
    append=" vt.default_utf8=0 init=/sbin/bootchartd"
    read-only
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

  4. Re: bootchart problems on Slackware 12.1

    geep wrote:
    > I tried 4 combinations of huge and generic+initrd kernel with and without
    > bootchart using Lilo with Slack 12.1 running in Virtualbox.
    > Again I find that bootchart only gives results with the huge kernel,
    > and not with the generic+initrd.
    > Comparing dmesg's doesn't show anything relevant, apart from confirming
    > the kernel options.
    > But /var/log/syslog contains this helpful entry:
    > Jul 24 21:43:07 vboxslack12_1 kernel: Failed to execute /sbin/
    > bootchartd. Attempting defaults...

    Did you include this bootchartd stuff in your initrd image?
    *That* is the the filesystem that is mounted as / during boot and
    where /sbin/bootchartd will be looked for.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  5. Re: bootchart problems on Slackware 12.1

    "Kees Theunissen" wrote in message
    > geep wrote:
    >> I tried 4 combinations of huge and generic+initrd kernel with and without
    >> bootchart using Lilo with Slack 12.1 running in Virtualbox.
    >> Again I find that bootchart only gives results with the huge kernel,
    >> and not with the generic+initrd.
    >> Comparing dmesg's doesn't show anything relevant, apart from confirming
    >> the kernel options. But /var/log/syslog contains this helpful entry:
    >> Jul 24 21:43:07 vboxslack12_1 kernel: Failed to execute /sbin/
    >> bootchartd. Attempting defaults...

    > Did you include this bootchartd stuff in your initrd image?
    > *That* is the the filesystem that is mounted as / during boot and
    > where /sbin/bootchartd will be looked for.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kees.
    >
    > --
    > Kees Theunissen.

    Hi Kees,
    No. I didn't include it in the initrd image. The thought had crossed my mind
    that it should be there.
    I'll now have to figure out how to put it there.
    The bootchart documentation seems lacking. It shows a lilo.conf with an
    initrd, but no mention that bootchart should be included in the initrd
    image.
    Not sure when I'll get round to trying it, as dealing with crisis in my
    heating system at present.
    Cheers,
    Peter

  6. FIXED - bootchart problems on Slackware 12.1

    On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:05:39 +0200, Kees Theunissen wrote:

    > geep wrote:
    >> I tried 4 combinations of huge and generic+initrd kernel with and
    >> without bootchart using Lilo with Slack 12.1 running in Virtualbox.
    >> Again I find that bootchart only gives results with the huge kernel,
    >> and not with the generic+initrd.
    >> Comparing dmesg's doesn't show anything relevant, apart from confirming
    >> the kernel options.
    >> But /var/log/syslog contains this helpful entry: Jul 24 21:43:07
    >> vboxslack12_1 kernel: Failed to execute /sbin/ bootchartd. Attempting
    >> defaults...

    > Did you include this bootchartd stuff in your initrd image? *That* is
    > the the filesystem that is mounted as / during boot and where
    > /sbin/bootchartd will be looked for.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kees.

    Hi Kees and group,

    I have now figured out how to get bootchart running on Slackware
    12.0/12.1 with the generic kernel and an initrd.

    0/ Install bootchart according to bootchart's instructions.
    This installs: /sbin/bootchartd /etc/bootchartd.conf

    1/ Run mkinitrd a first time with suitable options.
    I use Reiserfs and so for Slack 12.1 I used the README.initrd recommended:
    cd /boot
    mkinitrd -c -k 2.6.24.5-smp -m reiserfs

    2/ Edit the newly created /boot/initrd-tree/init
    Change all instances of /sbin/init to /sbin/bootchartd

    (Slack 12.0: 3 instances, Slack 12.1: 4 instances)

    3/ cd /boot
    mv initrd.gz initrd.original.gz

    Rerun mkinitrd without no options. A new initrd.gz is created.
    mv initrd.gz initrd.bootchart.gz

    4/ Edit lilo.conf or grub's menu.lst. Example below shows menu.lst.

    The bootchart documentation is NOT correct if you follow the above
    procedure. This menu.lst is from http://www.bootchart.org/docs.html:
    THIS DOESN'T WORK ON SLACKWARE 12.0 or 12.1
    /boot/grub/menu.lst
    [...]
    title Fedora Core (2.6.10) - bootchart
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10 ro root=/dev/hda1 init=/sbin/bootchartd
    initrd /initrd-2.6.10.img

    For Slackware use entries like this:
    THIS WORKS ON SLACKWARE 12.0 and 12.1
    # (4) sda9 (hd0,8)
    title Slackware 12.1--2.6.24.5-smp Generic /dev/sda9 Bootchart in initrd
    root (hd0,8)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-generic-smp-2.6.24.5-smp root=/dev/sda9 ro vga=791
    initrd /boot/initrd.bootchart.gz

    (You don't need the init=/sbin/bootchartd kernel option, as this option
    has effectively been added within the script /sbin/init inside the initrd)

    If you use the huge kernel without an initrd then you still need the
    kernel option:
    # (2) sda9 (hd0,8)
    title Slackware 12.1--2.6.24.5-smp Huge /dev/sda9 Bootchart
    root (hd0,8)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda9 ro vga=791 init=/sbin/bootchartd

    5/ I have tested this on a real PC and Slack guesting on VirtualBox and
    VMWarePlayer. The only problem I have noticed is with VMWarePlayer, the
    bootchartd daemon is shown running twice. Haven't figured that out yet.

    Slack is shown to boot faster on the Virtual Machines than on the real PC.
    About 30 secs vs 50 secs. Haven't figured out if this is correct yet.
    init starts after 6 secs on Virtual Machines, vs 15 secs on real PC.

    Cheers,

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread