Firefox 3.0 crash on slackware-current - Slackware

This is a discussion on Firefox 3.0 crash on slackware-current - Slackware ; Hello! After upgrading the version 3.0, the following error occurs bash-3.1$ firefox /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/crashreporter: error while loading shared libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory Someone, managed to solve this problem?...

  1. Firefox 3.0 crash on slackware-current

    Hello!

    After upgrading the version 3.0, the following error occurs
    bash-3.1$ firefox
    /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/crashreporter: error while loading shared
    libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such
    file or directory

    Someone, managed to solve this problem?

  2. Re: Firefox 3.0 crash on slackware-current

    On 23 Jul., 20:11, brusso wrote:
    > After upgrading the version 3.0, the following error occurs
    > bash-3.1$ firefox
    > /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/crashreporter: error while loading shared
    > libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such
    > file or directory
    >
    > Someone, managed to solve this problem?

    Well... GConf is part of the GNOME desktop. Since Pat uses the
    official binary that means that the official binary was compiled on a
    machine that had GConf installed. GConf is used to store configuration
    settings on a Windows-registry-like "database" (even if it works
    different...)

    Since i have GNOME installed i do not get that problem, FF3 works more
    or less good. That means if you can get the GConf library installed on
    your desktop you should also get FF3 to work. But i'm not sure if that
    is all worth it since i had a few problems with FF3 on Windows and on
    Slackware...

    What i don't understand is that if you have used the package from
    slackware-current... why did Pat not get into trouble himself? Maybe
    he is still using 2.0.0.x...

    Markus

  3. Re: Firefox 3.0 crash on slackware-current

    I just reinstalled Slackware 12.1 and used the package from -current.
    I do not get that gconf issue here.

    Where did you get the firefox3 package from?

  4. Re: Firefox 3.0 crash on slackware-current

    On 2008-07-23, brusso wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > After upgrading the version 3.0, the following error occurs
    > bash-3.1$ firefox
    > /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/crashreporter: error while loading shared
    > libraries: libgconf-2.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such
    > file or directory
    >
    > Someone, managed to solve this problem?

    That's not Firefox, that's the Firefox crash reporting tool.
    Is firefox actually working for you? If not, then it's crashing
    for some reason (which is the *real* problem), and then when it
    tries to load the crash reporting tool, you're seeing (correctly,
    might I add) that the crash reporting tool requires gconf to work.
    This means that the crashreport tool doesn't work in Slackware,
    but Firefox itself is fine (except perhaps on your system, but
    I'm speaking in general).

    -RW

  5. Re: Firefox 3.0 crash on slackware-current

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > That's not Firefox, that's the Firefox crash reporting tool.
    > Is firefox actually working for you? If not, then it's crashing
    > for some reason (which is the *real* problem), and then when it
    > tries to load the crash reporting tool, you're seeing (correctly,
    > might I add) that the crash reporting tool requires gconf to work.
    > This means that the crashreport tool doesn't work in Slackware,
    > but Firefox itself is fine (except perhaps on your system, but
    > I'm speaking in general).

    So gconf is a Firefox 3 dependency?

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  6. Re: Firefox 3.0 crash on slackware-current

    On 2008-07-24, Peter Chant wrote:
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >
    >> That's not Firefox, that's the Firefox crash reporting tool.
    >> Is firefox actually working for you? If not, then it's crashing
    >> for some reason (which is the *real* problem), and then when it
    >> tries to load the crash reporting tool, you're seeing (correctly,
    >> might I add) that the crash reporting tool requires gconf to work.
    >> This means that the crashreport tool doesn't work in Slackware,
    >> but Firefox itself is fine (except perhaps on your system, but
    >> I'm speaking in general).

    > So gconf is a Firefox 3 dependency?

    No, gconf is a dependency of the crash reporting tool in FF3.

    -RW

  7. Re: Firefox 3.0 crash on slackware-current

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:03:44 +0000, Robby Workman
    wrote:

    >On 2008-07-24, Peter Chant wrote:
    >> Robby Workman wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's not Firefox, that's the Firefox crash reporting tool.
    >>> Is firefox actually working for you? If not, then it's crashing
    >>> for some reason (which is the *real* problem), and then when it
    >>> tries to load the crash reporting tool, you're seeing (correctly,
    >>> might I add) that the crash reporting tool requires gconf to work.
    >>> This means that the crashreport tool doesn't work in Slackware,
    >>> but Firefox itself is fine (except perhaps on your system, but
    >>> I'm speaking in general).

    >> So gconf is a Firefox 3 dependency?

    >No, gconf is a dependency of the crash reporting tool in FF3.
    >
    >-RW

    I had no issues deleting /usr/lib/firefox/crash* from FF3.0/3.0.1.on
    Slackware 12.0

    After that, starting FF from command prompt to look for errors: not a
    single error.

    Crashreporter is not needed to run FF.

    Before FF3, Crashreporter was an extension in
    /usr/lib/firefox/extensions, which I always deleted after once
    Crashreporter popped up, and wanted me to dend report to Mozilla
    without offering an option to cancel, or to quit. Only option was to
    send report.

    I don't like that kind of behaviour, so I delete that stuff always.

    Manuel

+ Reply to Thread