reforamat usb drive to fat - Slackware

This is a discussion on reforamat usb drive to fat - Slackware ; I use a usb pen drive to transfer files between my Slack system and my antique Win 98 computer which has a inkjet color printer. Unfortunately in a fit of madness I reformatted the pen drive to linux. Now I ...

  1. reforamat usb drive to fat

    I use a usb pen drive to transfer files between my Slack system and my
    antique Win 98 computer which has a inkjet color printer.
    Unfortunately in a fit of madness I reformatted the pen drive to
    linux. Now I need to put it back in FAT format again so that the
    antique can recognize it. . It is /dev/sda1. I tried
    fdformat /dev/sda1
    but it balks because of no format specified. The pen drive is 256mb
    capacity.

    John Culleton

  2. Re: reforamat usb drive to fat

    Hallo, john@wexfordpress.com,

    Du meintest am 23.07.08:

    > I use a usb pen drive to transfer files between my Slack system and
    > my antique Win 98 computer which has a inkjet color printer.
    > Unfortunately in a fit of madness I reformatted the pen drive to
    > linux. Now I need to put it back in FAT format again so that the
    > antique can recognize it. . It is /dev/sda1. I tried
    > fdformat /dev/sda1
    > but it balks because of no format specified. The pen drive is 256mb
    > capacity.

    Try "fdisk"

    change disk
    show partitions
    delete
    non-DOS

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  3. Re: reforamat usb drive to fat

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:36:19 -0700 (PDT), "john@wexfordpress.com" wrote:

    >I use a usb pen drive to transfer files between my Slack system and my
    >antique Win 98 computer which has a inkjet color printer.
    >Unfortunately in a fit of madness I reformatted the pen drive to
    >linux. Now I need to put it back in FAT format again so that the
    >antique can recognize it. . It is /dev/sda1. I tried
    >fdformat /dev/sda1
    >but it balks because of no format specified. The pen drive is 256mb
    >capacity.

    mkdosfs /dev/sda1 ??

    Or format the thing from Win98.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  4. Re: reforamat usb drive to fat

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > Unfortunately in a fit of madness I reformatted the pen drive to
    > linux. Now I need to put it back in FAT format again so that the

    mkfs -t vfat

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  5. Re: reforamat usb drive to fat

    On Jul 23, 1:32 pm, Joost Kremers wrote:
    > j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > > Unfortunately in a fit of madness I reformatted the pen drive to
    > > linux. Now I need to put it back in FAT format again so that the

    > mkfs -t vfat
    >
    > --
    > Joost Kremers joostkrem...@yahoo.com
    > Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
    > EN:SiS(9)

    Following a montage of advice from various people I used cfdisk to
    delete the existing partition and create a vfat partition, then I used
    mkdosfs to make a file system and then I was more or less home free.
    The Win 98 partition still did not see it (Win XP saw it fine on my
    other machine) so I loaded in Slax in text only mode and was easily
    able to put the file where it could be read by MSWin. Then I fired up
    Win 98 and used Adobe Reader to print the pdf file.

  6. Re: reforamat usb drive to fat

    In alt.os.linux.slackware, Joost Kremers wrote:

    > john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> Unfortunately in a fit of madness I reformatted the pen drive to
    >> linux. Now I need to put it back in FAT format again so that the

    > mkfs -t vfat

    Which assumes that /sbin/mkfs.vfat exists. IIRC, Slackware doesn't deliver
    this as a default. You have to install the dosfstools package, and manually
    (soft)link /sbin/mkfs.vfat to /sbin/mkdosfs. While you are at it, you
    should also (soft)link /sbin/mkfs.msdos to /sbin/mkdosfs so that you can
    mkfs -t msdos
    as well

    --
    Lew Pitcher