Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R? - Slackware ; Hi, I've fought with this printer all day, but could not achieve victory. My bag of tricks is as empty as the dollar, and that means every trick you can think of has been thought of, even from around the ...

  1. Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R?

    Hi,

    I've fought with this printer all day, but could not achieve victory.

    My bag of tricks is as empty as the dollar, and that means every trick
    you can think of has been thought of, even from around the corner thru
    your knee and out your chest. But I'm getting carried away here...

    It's recognized correctly, there are seemingly sufficient drivers for
    cups (on slack 12) available - via Samsung CD, and splix. I got as far
    as that cups is kinda simulating the print - doing its pretty graphics
    stuff for printing a test page, telling me print jobs are successfully
    completed but nada. Printer status is displayed correctly; shown as
    off when it's off, idle when it's idle, ...

    So. After carrying the Naughty Boy back to the dealer, who had this
    annoying smirk on his face after I told him my war diary, the sucker
    was successfully tested on Winblows. Great. It's working.

    Now, to make this a shorty, finally:

    I'm looking for someone who is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R
    monochrome laserprinter, and would kindly send me his working
    cupsd.conf and the corresponding .ppd file.

    Thank you very much.

    -- Simon

  2. Re: Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R?

    Simon Sibbez wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've fought with this printer all day, but could not achieve victory.

    I had a similar problem with the ML-1210 until I found the driver hidden
    away on a Samsung web-site have a look here
    http://ircfast.com/lv/group/view/kl3..._XAA_Laser.htm
    and see if that helps.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  3. Re: Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R?

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:07:00 +0200, Simon Sibbez wrote:

    > Now, to make this a shorty, finally:
    >
    > I'm looking for someone who is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R
    > monochrome laserprinter, and would kindly send me his working cupsd.conf
    > and the corresponding .ppd file.

    Hi,

    I have a ML-2010 working correctly in Slackware 12.0.

    I also had to fight a bit to get it working but managed to do so.

    Don't remember exactly everything I did, but here are some clues.

    # ll /etc/cups/ppd/ML2010.ppd
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27978 2008-03-28 17:34 /etc/cups/ppd/ML2010.ppd
    But I think this ppd file is not the one working.

    In localhost:631/printer, I have
    Make and Model: Samsung ML-2010 Foomatic/gdi

    ll /usr/share/cups/model/Samsung-ML-2010-gdi.ppd
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27994 2007-11-02 13:20 /usr/share/cups/model/
    Samsung-ML-2010-gdi.ppd

    In:
    # pwd
    /etc/cups

    I have this, so that you can configure the printer like so in
    localhost:631
    # cat printers.conf
    # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.11
    # Written by cupsd on 2008-06-17 15:13

    Info Samsung ML-2010 Mono Laser Printer
    DeviceURI usb://Samsung/ML-2010
    State Idle
    StateTime 1213711993
    Accepting Yes
    Shared Yes
    JobSheets none none
    QuotaPeriod 0
    PageLimit 0
    KLimit 0
    OpPolicy default
    ErrorPolicy stop-printer

    Hope this helps!

    Luis

  4. Re: Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R?

    Simon Sibbez wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've fought with this printer all day, but could not achieve victory.
    >
    > My bag of tricks is as empty as the dollar, and that means every trick
    > you can think of has been thought of, even from around the corner thru
    > your knee and out your chest. But I'm getting carried away here...

    At some point I updated espgs and cups and it got broken on my slack 11 or
    12 system. I don't have the 'R', but I have ml-2010. I used the drivers on
    the cd and also those from the samsung website, not splix. I think splix is
    supposed to be better though.

    When it got broken, the printer would send some error back, as if things
    were compatible with each other. I don't remember how I finally fixed it,
    either I upgraded to a newer slackware, but kept it stock, or reverted
    updates.

  5. Re: Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R?

    Simon Sibbez wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've fought with this printer all day, but could not achieve victory.
    >
    > My bag of tricks is as empty as the dollar, and that means every trick
    > you can think of has been thought of, even from around the corner thru
    > your knee and out your chest. But I'm getting carried away here...
    >
    > It's recognized correctly, there are seemingly sufficient drivers for
    > cups (on slack 12) available - via Samsung CD, and splix. I got as far
    > as that cups is kinda simulating the print - doing its pretty graphics
    > stuff for printing a test page, telling me print jobs are successfully
    > completed but nada. Printer status is displayed correctly; shown as
    > off when it's off, idle when it's idle, ...
    >
    > So. After carrying the Naughty Boy back to the dealer, who had this
    > annoying smirk on his face after I told him my war diary, the sucker
    > was successfully tested on Winblows. Great. It's working.
    >
    > Now, to make this a shorty, finally:
    >
    > I'm looking for someone who is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R
    > monochrome laserprinter, and would kindly send me his working
    > cupsd.conf and the corresponding .ppd file.

    Are you using an out-of-date splix? You need splix 1.1.0 or later.
    With 1.1.0 it worked out of the box. I just plugged in the USB cable
    and brought up the cups browser and it did the rest for me
    automatically. (This is with Slack 12.0 and a self-compiled
    splix-1.1.0.)

    I can send you my splix-1.1.0 tarball compiled for i686 if that helps
    (and you are using 12.0).

    Chris

  6. Re: Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R?

    Luis P. Mendes wrote:

    > Samsung-ML-2010-gdi.ppd

    That Postscript Printer Description file did the trick for me, thank
    you!

    -- Simon

  7. Re: Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R?

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:07:00 +0200, Simon Sibbez wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've fought with this printer all day, but could not achieve victory.
    >
    > My bag of tricks is as empty as the dollar, and that means every trick
    > you can think of has been thought of, even from around the corner thru
    > your knee and out your chest. But I'm getting carried away here...
    >
    > It's recognized correctly, there are seemingly sufficient drivers for
    > cups (on slack 12) available - via Samsung CD, and splix. I got as far
    > as that cups is kinda simulating the print - doing its pretty graphics
    > stuff for printing a test page, telling me print jobs are successfully
    > completed but nada. Printer status is displayed correctly; shown as off
    > when it's off, idle when it's idle, ...
    >
    > So. After carrying the Naughty Boy back to the dealer, who had this
    > annoying smirk on his face after I told him my war diary, the sucker was
    > successfully tested on Winblows. Great. It's working.
    >
    > Now, to make this a shorty, finally:
    >
    > I'm looking for someone who is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R
    > monochrome laserprinter, and would kindly send me his working cupsd.conf
    > and the corresponding .ppd file.
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > -- Simon

    I am using this printer under lpr and the software provided by Samsung.
    Works well.

    JB

  8. Re: Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R?

    Simon Sibbez wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've fought with this printer all day, but could not achieve victory.
    >
    > My bag of tricks is as empty as the dollar, and that means every trick
    > you can think of has been thought of, even from around the corner thru
    > your knee and out your chest. But I'm getting carried away here...
    >
    > It's recognized correctly, there are seemingly sufficient drivers for
    > cups (on slack 12) available - via Samsung CD, and splix. I got as far
    > as that cups is kinda simulating the print - doing its pretty graphics
    > stuff for printing a test page, telling me print jobs are successfully
    > completed but nada. Printer status is displayed correctly; shown as
    > off when it's off, idle when it's idle, ...
    >
    > So. After carrying the Naughty Boy back to the dealer, who had this
    > annoying smirk on his face after I told him my war diary, the sucker
    > was successfully tested on Winblows. Great. It's working.
    >
    > Now, to make this a shorty, finally:
    >
    > I'm looking for someone who is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R
    > monochrome laserprinter, and would kindly send me his working
    > cupsd.conf and the corresponding .ppd file.
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > -- Simon

    Simon,

    I've forwarded to you (under seperate cover), the CUPS printer drivers
    for SPL (Samsung Printer Language) and build script.

    Regards,

    Tom

    --
    Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has
    been turned off until further notice !!

  9. Re: Whos is successfully using a Samsung ML-2010R?

    Tom Neilson wrote:

    > I've forwarded to you (under seperate cover), the CUPS printer
    > drivers for SPL (Samsung Printer Language) and build script.

    Thanks, I got it and really appreciate it.

    I already tried that stuff (used also the SBo scripts, and the various
    available splix source versions) before posting here, but it didn't
    work and I applied the procedure you mentioned. The foomatic ppd file
    saved me, tho. Connect the printer, fire up cups admin panel, install
    the printer, choose foomatic ppd file, done.

    In fact, now that I know how to get the printer running, I bought
    another one but also complained to samsung support about the hassle,
    whatever good that might do.

    And thanks for all the other feedback I received.

    -- Simon

+ Reply to Thread