making a slack package - Slackware

This is a discussion on making a slack package - Slackware ; I'm not here to snivel. I want to get to a point where I know enough about bash scripting that I can contribute and provide slack packages. I know enough that I can usually understand the barebones fybasics of bash ...

  1. making a slack package

    I'm not here to snivel. I want to get to a point where I know enough about
    bash scripting that I can contribute and provide slack packages. I know
    enough that I can usually understand the barebones fybasics of bash scripts,
    but I am still ignorant of the fine points. So, I'll continue to hone my
    scripting skills.

    One of the things that eludes me is understanding how a slack pkg is
    constructed and built (slack builds). I know it is compiled before it
    becomes a pkg, cuz I know how to compile from source and I know pkg's are
    not compiled from source. So, what is done to make a pkg and how can I
    control the configure and make options to make a pkg the way I want. One
    goal I have is to be able to make a pkg that has all the required libs and
    deps included, so a package install includes everything. A pointer is all I
    ask. Thank you.

    nb

  2. Re: making a slack package

    It was 21:33, domenica 20 luglio 2008, and notbob, in message
    wrote:

    > One of the things that eludes me is understanding how a slack pkg is
    > constructed and built (slack builds).
    > A pointer is all I ask.

    there's this guide on linuxpackages.net:
    http://www.linuxpackages.net/howto.p...=Package+Howto

    > Thank you.

    you're welcome.

    ilSimo
    --
    now playing:

    If you want blood
    You've got it

    AC/DC - If You Want Blood (You've Got It)

  3. Re: making a slack package

    notbob wrote:
    > I'm not here to snivel. I want to get to a point where I know enough about
    > bash scripting that I can contribute and provide slack packages. I know
    > enough that I can usually understand the barebones fybasics of bash scripts,
    > but I am still ignorant of the fine points. So, I'll continue to hone my
    > scripting skills.
    >
    > One of the things that eludes me is understanding how a slack pkg is
    > constructed and built (slack builds). I know it is compiled before it
    > becomes a pkg, cuz I know how to compile from source and I know pkg's are
    > not compiled from source. So, what is done to make a pkg and how can I
    > control the configure and make options to make a pkg the way I want. One
    > goal I have is to be able to make a pkg that has all the required libs and
    > deps included, so a package install includes everything. A pointer is all I
    > ask. Thank you.
    >
    > nb

    How about this one: http://slackwiki.org/Writing_A_SlackBuild_Script

    Michel

  4. Re: making a slack package

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:02:07 +0200, dillinger wrote:

    >notbob wrote:
    >> I'm not here to snivel. I want to get to a point where I know enough about
    >> bash scripting that I can contribute and provide slack packages. I know
    >> enough that I can usually understand the barebones fybasics of bash scripts,
    >> but I am still ignorant of the fine points. So, I'll continue to hone my
    >> scripting skills.
    >>
    >> One of the things that eludes me is understanding how a slack pkg is
    >> constructed and built (slack builds). I know it is compiled before it
    >> becomes a pkg, cuz I know how to compile from source and I know pkg's are
    >> not compiled from source. So, what is done to make a pkg and how can I
    >> control the configure and make options to make a pkg the way I want. One
    >> goal I have is to be able to make a pkg that has all the required libs and
    >> deps included, so a package install includes everything. A pointer is all I
    >> ask. Thank you.
    >>
    >> nb

    >How about this one: http://slackwiki.org/Writing_A_SlackBuild_Script

    Looks good, except for the ./configure -- some things don't have this, for
    example dnsmasq, and sometimes you want to edit Makefile instead (eg. dnsmasq
    Makefile needs s/nawk/gawk/).

    To nb:
    And also see http://slackbuilds.org/howto/ I made a SlackBuild for a small
    project a while back and it took a couple tries to get right -- perhaps join
    their mail-list for some feedback when you do your first slackbuild.

    As far as bash scripting goes, download / extract to local web server:
    http://personal.riverusers.com/~theg...de-5.3.tar.bz2
    for lots of examples -- there's a newsgroup: comp.unix.shell that has some
    very helpful people when you hit a snag with shell scripting.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  5. Re: making a slack package

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:33:49 GMT, notbob@nothome.com wrote:

    > becomes a pkg, cuz I know how to compile from source and I know pkg's are
    > not compiled from source. So, what is done to make a pkg and how can I
    > control the configure and make options to make a pkg the way I want. One
    > goal I have is to be able to make a pkg that has all the required libs and
    > deps included, so a package install includes everything. A pointer is all I

    http://www.slackware.com/~mozes/

    Look at the bottom of that page -- there are some notes and a presentation
    document.

    --
    Stuart Winter
    www.slackware.com/~mozes

  6. Re: making a slack package

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:33:49 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > One of the things that eludes me is understanding how a slack pkg is
    > constructed and built (slack builds). I know it is compiled before it
    > becomes a pkg, cuz I know how to compile from source and I know pkg's
    > are not compiled from source. So, what is done to make a pkg and how
    > can I control the configure and make options to make a pkg the way I
    > want. One goal I have is to be able to make a pkg that has all the
    > required libs and deps included, so a package install includes
    > everything. A pointer is all I ask. Thank you

    In addition to the other replies, you can use checkinstall. checkinstall
    creates a package when you are compiling a program, instead of doing
    a make install, you do checkinstall which creates the package, then
    install the package.

  7. Re: making a slack package

    In alt.os.linux.slackware, Julien Mills wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:33:49 +0000, notbob wrote:
    >
    >> One of the things that eludes me is understanding how a slack pkg is
    >> constructed and built (slack builds). I know it is compiled before it
    >> becomes a pkg, cuz I know how to compile from source and I know pkg's
    >> are not compiled from source. So, what is done to make a pkg and how
    >> can I control the configure and make options to make a pkg the way I
    >> want. One goal I have is to be able to make a pkg that has all the
    >> required libs and deps included, so a package install includes
    >> everything. A pointer is all I ask. Thank you

    > In addition to the other replies, you can use checkinstall. checkinstall
    > creates a package when you are compiling a program, instead of doing
    > a make install, you do checkinstall which creates the package, then
    > install the package.

    But, remember, checkinstall does not (yet) support the file "at" syscalls,
    so you need to use the -fstrans=no option when you run it. In 2007, the
    authors started to look into the problem (see
    http://checkinstall.izto.org/cklist/msg00319.html ), but have yet to come
    up with a program fix.

    Pat V. no longer includes checkinstall in Slackware (it was absent from 12.0
    and is absent from 12.1) because of this failing. The OP will have to find
    the .TGZ install package somewhere else, or install it from source.

    --
    Lew Pitcher