A problem - Slackware

This is a discussion on A problem - Slackware ; Hi all, I installed Slackware 12.1 (xfce) a few days ago. I like it much but when I plug my digital camera, here's the message I get" ========================= Unable to mount "16M Removable Volume": A security policy in place prevents ...

  1. A problem

    Hi all,

    I installed Slackware 12.1 (xfce) a few days ago. I like it
    much but when I plug my digital camera, here's the message I get"

    =========================

    Unable to mount "16M Removable Volume":

    A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending
    this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration
    file (rejected message had interface
    "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name
    "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

    =========================

    Any suggestions ?

    Thanks,
    UJ
    http://www.linuxaucoin.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: A problem

    Uncle Jean wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I installed Slackware 12.1 (xfce) a few days ago. I like it
    > much but when I plug my digital camera, here's the message I get"
    >
    > =========================
    >
    > Unable to mount "16M Removable Volume":
    >
    > A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending
    > this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration
    > file (rejected message had interface
    > "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name
    > "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")
    >
    > =========================
    >
    > Any suggestions ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > UJ
    > http://www.linuxaucoin.blogspot.com/

    AFAIK it is an access rights problem. The camera is mounted, but you have no
    access to it. Look in the /media directory who is the owner and how the
    rights are set

  3. Re: A problem

    On 2008-07-20, Uncle Jean wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I installed Slackware 12.1 (xfce) a few days ago. I like it
    > much but when I plug my digital camera, here's the message I get"
    >
    >=========================
    >
    > Unable to mount "16M Removable Volume":
    >
    > A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending
    > this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration
    > file (rejected message had interface
    > "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name
    > "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")
    >
    >=========================
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    Sure. Read the release notes, CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT, and other assorted
    documentation shipped with Slackware 12.1 - you'll notice that your
    user account needs to belong to a few specific groups (well, one in
    particular for this case).

    -RW

  4. Re: A problem

    On Jul 20, 11:06 am, jjg wrote:

    > AFAIK it is an access rights problem. The camera is mounted, but you have no
    > access to it. Look in the /media directory who is the owner and how the
    > rights are set

    Properties of the media file:

    Owner: root
    Group: root

    How can I change that ?

    UJ
    http://www.linuxaucoin.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: A problem

    Oncle Jean wrote:
    > On Jul 20, 11:06 am, jjg wrote:
    >
    >> AFAIK it is an access rights problem. The camera is mounted, but you have no
    >> access to it. Look in the /media directory who is the owner and how the
    >> rights are set

    > Properties of the media file:
    >
    > Owner: root
    > Group: root
    >
    > How can I change that ?
    >
    > UJ
    > http://www.linuxaucoin.blogspot.com/

    I use File manager in super user mode.
    With this I get to the file and right click and get to
    Permissions which I then adjust be user to: leon (use your own ident)
    and then set group to 1000 you could also set group to users

    --
    Leon
    A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.

  6. Re: A problem

    On Jul 20, 12:19 pm, Robby Workman wrote:

    > Sure. Read the release notes, CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT, and other assorted
    > documentation shipped with Slackware 12.1 - you'll notice that your
    > user account needs to belong to a few specific groups (well, one in
    > particular for this case).
    >
    > -RW

    I'll do that and I thank you, Robby.

    Uncle Jean
    http://www.linuxaucoin.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: A problem

    In article ,
    Leon Whyte wrote:

    > Oncle Jean wrote:
    > > Properties of the media file:
    > >
    > > Owner: root
    > > Group: root
    > >
    > > How can I change that ?
    > >
    > > UJ
    > > http://www.linuxaucoin.blogspot.com/
    > >

    > I use File manager in super user mode.
    > With this I get to the file and right click and get to
    > Permissions which I then adjust be user to: leon (use your own ident)
    > and then set group to 1000 you could also set group to users

    I don't think that'll do anything. The original owner and permissions
    of the directory become irrelevant once you use it as a mountpoint.

    Instead, this bit from CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT is relevant to the OP:

    | HAL is not new anymore, but here are a few notes related to it:
    | 1. User accounts with permission to mount removable devices must be in at
    | least the plugdev group, and the power group is also recommended to
    | allow shutdown and reboot via HAL methods.
    | 2. HAL will honor settings in /etc/fstab if a device is present there, so
    | you could technically have removable devices defined in /etc/fstab, but
    | if the fstab settings do not allow normal users to mount them (with the
    | "user" or "users" option), then HAL/dbus will not allow them to be
    | mounted either. In other words, for example, if your fstab line for the
    | cdrom/dvd drive includes the "owner" option, you will not be able to
    | mount it as a normal user.
    | 3. If you find a need for modified fdi files, those should be placed in the
    | relevant directories in /etc/hal/ instead of /usr/share/hal/

    - Martijn

  8. Re: A problem

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:07:15 -0700, Oncle Jean wrote:

    > On Jul 20, 11:06 am, jjg wrote:
    >> AFAIK it is an access rights problem. The camera is mounted, but you
    >> have no access to it. Look in the /media directory who is the owner and
    >> how the rights are set

    > Properties of the media file:
    > Owner: root
    > Group: root
    > How can I change that ?

    I ran into a similar problem with another USB device. I fixed it by
    editing (as root) an entry in a file in /etc/udev/rules. If you want a
    more specific answer you need to provide more specific information.

  9. Re: A problem

    On September 30, 2008 18:00, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Roland Latour
    (bogus@example.com) wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:07:15 -0700, Oncle Jean wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 20, 11:06 am, jjg wrote:
    >>> AFAIK it is an access rights problem. The camera is mounted, but you
    >>> have no access to it. Look in the /media directory who is the owner and
    >>> how the rights are set

    >> Properties of the media file:
    >> Owner: root
    >> Group: root
    >> How can I change that ?

    > I ran into a similar problem with another USB device. I fixed it by
    > editing (as root) an entry in a file in /etc/udev/rules. If you want a
    > more specific answer you need to provide more specific information.

    To the OP,

    Is your userid included in the plugdev group? If not, add it there

    --
    Lew Pitcher