ntpdate - Slackware

This is a discussion on ntpdate - Slackware ; I have two hard disks on both is an installation of 12.1 and an archive cross-linked to both installations. Both have this in their *rc.local, /usr/sbin/ntpdate 164.67.62.194 /sbin/hwclock --systohc the same was in the *rc.local when I used 12, when ...

  1. ntpdate

    I have two hard disks on both is an installation of 12.1 and an archive
    cross-linked to both installations.

    Both have this in their *rc.local,
    /usr/sbin/ntpdate 164.67.62.194
    /sbin/hwclock --systohc
    the same was in the *rc.local when I used 12, when using 12 it worked,
    but now it seems that the connection to the internet does not come up
    quickly enough, as I get a message to the effect that it could not find
    the server to synchronise with. Every so often I reboot into the other
    set of 12.1 in order to keep both up to date, when doing so the
    connection is seemingly able to connect to the server.

    My question is have I diagnosed what is happening correctly, and is
    there a solution?
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  2. Re: ntpdate

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:32:18 +0100, Two ravens wrote:

    >I have two hard disks on both is an installation of 12.1 and an archive
    >cross-linked to both installations.
    >
    >Both have this in their *rc.local,
    > /usr/sbin/ntpdate 164.67.62.194
    > /sbin/hwclock --systohc
    >the same was in the *rc.local when I used 12, when using 12 it worked,
    >but now it seems that the connection to the internet does not come up
    >quickly enough, as I get a message to the effect that it could not find
    >the server to synchronise with. Every so often I reboot into the other
    >set of 12.1 in order to keep both up to date, when doing so the
    >connection is seemingly able to connect to the server.
    >
    >My question is have I diagnosed what is happening correctly, and is
    >there a solution?

    Why not run ntpd? It will recover from that?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  3. Re: ntpdate

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 18:49:36 +1000, Grant wrote:

    > Why not run ntpd? It will recover from that?

    I'll try it on my spare installation and see if it corrects the drift of
    my hardware clock.

    Thank you.

    --
    Two Ravens