Kernel Problem - Slackware

This is a discussion on Kernel Problem - Slackware ; Hi, I am Linux newbie, i was trying recompile kernel following book instruction, the problem is after recompiling and rebooting the system, the screen is black and don't show anything, don't go to shell prompt, it is normal? (sorry for ...

  1. Kernel Problem

    Hi,

    I am Linux newbie, i was trying recompile kernel following book
    instruction, the problem is after recompiling and rebooting the system,
    the screen is black and don't show anything, don't go to shell prompt,
    it is normal? (sorry for my bad english)

    Best regards
    Pablo

  2. Re: Kernel Problem

    BlinkingSpirit wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am Linux newbie, i was trying recompile kernel following book
    > instruction, the problem is after recompiling and rebooting the system,
    > the screen is black and don't show anything, don't go to shell prompt,
    > it is normal? (sorry for my bad english)

    No, it is not normal. On boot you see nothing at all? I suspect that this
    is a lilo problem, as if the kernel did boot you should see the boot
    messages.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  3. Re: Kernel Problem

    Peter Chant wrote:
    > BlinkingSpirit wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am Linux newbie, i was trying recompile kernel following book
    >> instruction, the problem is after recompiling and rebooting the system,
    >> the screen is black and don't show anything, don't go to shell prompt,
    >> it is normal? (sorry for my bad english)

    > No, it is not normal. On boot you see nothing at all? I suspect that this
    > is a lilo problem, as if the kernel did boot you should see the boot
    > messages.
    >
    > Pete

    Sorry, if i not explained well, when i power on the computer appears
    lilo so the problem isn't lilo i think, windows can boot normally, when
    i choose linux, after this appears message "linux booting"( if i am not
    wrong) and 2 or 3 lines of dots, after this the screen stays black and
    don't show anything.

    Pablo

  4. Re: Kernel Problem

    BlinkingSpirit il 12:20, sabato 19 luglio 2008 ha scritto:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am Linux newbie, i was trying recompile kernel following book
    > instruction, the problem is after recompiling and rebooting the system,
    > the screen is black and don't show anything, don't go to shell prompt,
    > it is normal? (sorry for my bad english)
    >
    > Best regards
    > Pablo

    Ok, no problem and no panic.
    First of all install in Windows EXt2fs (http://www.fs-driver.org/) to access
    to linux (I hope you use ext2/ext3 filesystem);

    if the screen in blank, maybe linux work but it hasn't the proper video
    driver compiled and loaded, to verify start linux and try to use it:
    1) try to login as root
    2) try to reboot ("reboot" command)

    If it works, you compiled "quite well" the kernel, try again to ocmpile
    better, using the proper video driver (or compile ALL video driver as
    modules, it's better).

    To reaccess to your linux use KNOPPIX, it's a live CD and you can point your
    vmlinuz to the old and working kernel (You didn't remove it, right?) THEN
    install again the correct kernel with:

    cd /mnt/MyGoodOldLinuxPartition
    lilo -r .

    that's all
    Max

    --
    Cerchi informazioni su Linux?
    Linuxpedia: http://maxint.dynalias.org

  5. Re: Kernel Problem

    "BlinkingSpirit" wrote in message
    > Peter Chant wrote:
    >> BlinkingSpirit wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am Linux newbie, i was trying recompile kernel following book
    >>> instruction, the problem is after recompiling and rebooting the system,
    >>> the screen is black and don't show anything, don't go to shell prompt,
    >>> it is normal? (sorry for my bad english)

    >> No, it is not normal. On boot you see nothing at all? I suspect that
    >> this
    >> is a lilo problem, as if the kernel did boot you should see the boot
    >> messages.
    >>
    >> Pete
    >>

    > Sorry, if i not explained well, when i power on the computer appears lilo
    > so the problem isn't lilo i think, windows can boot normally, when i
    > choose linux, after this appears message "linux booting"( if i am not
    > wrong) and 2 or 3 lines of dots, after this the screen stays black and
    > don't show anything.
    >
    > Pablo

    Trying booting with the vga=normal parameter and see what happens. If ssh
    is enabled, you could also try logging in remotely and looking at your log
    files if you have access to another computer.

    Tim

  6. Re: Kernel Problem

    > "BlinkingSpirit" wrote in message
    > > Peter Chant wrote:

    It's normal if Framebuffer Console Support was not selected to be part
    of the new kernel.

    Device Drivers --> Graphics Support --> Support for Framebuffer Devices[*] VESA VGA Graphics Support

    Device Drivers --> Graphics Support --> Console Display Driver Support
    -->[*] VGA Text Console Support[*] Framebuffer Console Support

    Not a major problem, once you've got round these little issues its
    amazing how much sticks in your head

    Good Luck.

  7. Re: Kernel Problem

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:32:38 +0000, Massimiliano Vessi wrote:

    > BlinkingSpirit il 12:20, sabato 19 luglio 2008 ha scritto:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am Linux newbie, i was trying recompile kernel following book
    >> instruction, the problem is after recompiling and rebooting the system,
    >> the screen is black and don't show anything, don't go to shell prompt,
    >> it is normal? (sorry for my bad english)
    >>
    >> Best regards
    >> Pablo

    > Ok, no problem and no panic.
    > First of all install in Windows EXt2fs (http://www.fs-driver.org/) to
    > access to linux (I hope you use ext2/ext3 filesystem);
    >
    > if the screen in blank, maybe linux work but it hasn't the proper video
    > driver compiled and loaded, to verify start linux and try to use it: 1)
    > try to login as root
    > 2) try to reboot ("reboot" command)
    >
    > If it works, you compiled "quite well" the kernel, try again to ocmpile
    > better, using the proper video driver (or compile ALL video driver as
    > modules, it's better).
    >
    > To reaccess to your linux use KNOPPIX, it's a live CD and you can point
    > your vmlinuz to the old and working kernel (You didn't remove it,
    > right?) THEN install again the correct kernel with:

    kinda offtopic but can i suggest backtrack or slax (had some issues with
    booting the new one tho(slax)) instead

+ Reply to Thread