Alert Alarm Sound - Slackware

This is a discussion on Alert Alarm Sound - Slackware ; On Jul 18, 5:42*pm, Robert Rappaport wrote: > My old laptop is a Gateway Solo 9550 with a Maestro3 sound card and an > never used Actiontec modem for which I substituted a pcmcia card modem. > * In 2005/2006 ...

  1. Re: Alert Alarm Sound

    On Jul 18, 5:42*pm, Robert Rappaport wrote:
    > My old laptop is a Gateway Solo 9550 with a Maestro3 sound card and an
    > never used Actiontec modem for which I substituted a pcmcia card modem.
    > * In 2005/2006 I upgraded to Slackware 10.2 from 8.1 with the "canned"
    > kernel 2.4.31 and alsa 1.0.9 had no problems other than the Alert Alarm
    > sound never worked. *It has started to bug me and I downloaded and
    > installed alsa 1.0.17 with the same negative result for the alert alarm.
    > * The only time I get a sound is about when rc.pcmcia or rc.hotplug
    > scripts are executing at boot.
    >
    > Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to turn on this audio signal?

    It's just a guess, but some of my integrated cards use an ALSA option
    for the "PCSpeaker". Make sure you didn't miss anything; use
    alsamixer.

    Cheers,
    Sabahattin

  2. Alert Alarm Sound

    My old laptop is a Gateway Solo 9550 with a Maestro3 sound card and an
    never used Actiontec modem for which I substituted a pcmcia card modem.
    In 2005/2006 I upgraded to Slackware 10.2 from 8.1 with the "canned"
    kernel 2.4.31 and alsa 1.0.9 had no problems other than the Alert Alarm
    sound never worked. It has started to bug me and I downloaded and
    installed alsa 1.0.17 with the same negative result for the alert alarm.
    The only time I get a sound is about when rc.pcmcia or rc.hotplug
    scripts are executing at boot.

    Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to turn on this audio signal?

    Thanks

    Bob

  3. Re: Alert Alarm Sound

    Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
    > On Jul 18, 5:42 pm, Robert Rappaport wrote:
    >
    >>My old laptop is a Gateway Solo 9550 with a Maestro3 sound card and an
    >>never used Actiontec modem for which I substituted a pcmcia card modem.
    >> In 2005/2006 I upgraded to Slackware 10.2 from 8.1 with the "canned"
    >>kernel 2.4.31 and alsa 1.0.9 had no problems other than the Alert Alarm
    >>sound never worked. It has started to bug me and I downloaded and
    >>installed alsa 1.0.17 with the same negative result for the alert alarm.
    >> The only time I get a sound is about when rc.pcmcia or rc.hotplug
    >>scripts are executing at boot.
    >>
    >>Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to turn on this audio signal?

    > It's just a guess, but some of my integrated cards use an ALSA option
    > for the "PCSpeaker". Make sure you didn't miss anything; use
    > alsamixer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Sabahattin

    I did cover that angle when I installed alsa 1.0.17.

    Thanks for your response.

    Bob

  4. Re: Alert Alarm Sound

    In
    Robert Rappaport writes:

    >Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to turn on this audio
    >signal?

    Have you set the INPUT_PCSPKR kernel configuration option? You'll find
    it under the following path (for kernel 2.6):

    Device Drivers --> Input device support --> Generic input layer
    --> Miscellaneous devices --> PC Speaker support

    Also, on some machines the speaker isn't actually connected to the
    motherboard. Your motherboard manual should help you troubleshoot
    this aspect if necessary.

    - Steven
    Steven Winikoff |"The best executive is one who has sense
    Concordia University | enough to pick good people to do what he
    Montreal, QC, Canada | wants done, and self-restraint enough to
    smw@alcor.concordia.ca | keep from meddling with them while they
    http://alcor.concordia.ca/~smw | do it." - Theodore Roosevelt

  5. Re: Alert Alarm Sound

    Steven Winikoff wrote:
    > In
    > Robert Rappaport writes:
    >

    >>Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to turn on this audio
    >>signal?

    > Have you set the INPUT_PCSPKR kernel configuration option? You'll find
    > it under the following path (for kernel 2.6):
    >
    > Device Drivers --> Input device support --> Generic input layer
    > --> Miscellaneous devices --> PC Speaker support
    >
    > Also, on some machines the speaker isn't actually connected to the
    > motherboard. Your motherboard manual should help you troubleshoot
    > this aspect if necessary.
    >
    > - Steven

    Thanks for this advice. I can use it for my wife's new desktop with a
    2.6 kernel with the same problem that does not bother her. My old
    laptop has the 2.4.31 kernel sent compiled with Slackware 10.2. I cant
    find the kernel configuration option option you suggest nor anything
    close in 2.4?

    Bob

  6. Re: Alert Alarm Sound

    In
    Robert Rappaport writes:

    >Thanks for this advice. I can use it for my wife's new desktop with a
    >2.6 kernel with the same problem that does not bother her. My old
    >laptop has the 2.4.31 kernel sent compiled with Slackware 10.2. I cant
    >find the kernel configuration option option you suggest nor anything
    >close in 2.4?

    I believe that's because 2.4 doesn't have a similar option; far as I
    recall, in 2.4 the speaker driver is compiled in whether you want it
    or not. :-)

    Some other places to check, no matter which kernel you're using,
    include:

    xset -q | grep bell
    #
    # tells you whether your X server has disabled beeps; for example
    # on my system the output is
    #
    # bell percent: 100 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
    #
    # use `xset b` or `xset -b` to enable or disable the bell,
    # respectively

    vi /etc/inputrc
    #
    # look for a line that says
    #
    # set bell-style none
    #
    # if you find it, either delete the line or change "none" to
    # "audible" (the third possible value is "visible", for those
    # who prefer to have the screen flash instead of ringing a bell
    # or just doing nothing; see readline(3) for details)

    alsamixer
    #
    # look for the "Beep" setting, and ensure that it isn't muted and
    # that the volume isn't set too low

    - Steven
    Steven Winikoff | "Ask the next question. Keep on asking
    Concordia University | questions and don't stop, and sooner
    Montreal, QC, Canada | or later you'll be asking intelligent
    smw@alcor.concordia.ca | ones. If you live long enough."
    http://alcor.concordia.ca/~smw | - Theodore Sturgeon

  7. Re: Alert Alarm Sound

    Steven Winikoff wrote:

    > I believe that's because 2.4 doesn't have a similar option; far as I
    > recall, in 2.4 the speaker driver is compiled in whether you want it
    > or not. :-)
    >
    > Some other places to check, no matter which kernel you're using,
    > include:
    >
    > xset -q | grep bell
    > #
    > # tells you whether your X server has disabled beeps; for example
    > # on my system the output is
    > #
    > # bell percent: 100 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
    > #
    > # use `xset b` or `xset -b` to enable or disable the bell,
    > # respectively
    >
    > vi /etc/inputrc
    > #
    > # look for a line that says
    > #
    > # set bell-style none
    > #
    > # if you find it, either delete the line or change "none" to
    > # "audible" (the third possible value is "visible", for those
    > # who prefer to have the screen flash instead of ringing a bell
    > # or just doing nothing; see readline(3) for details)
    >
    > alsamixer
    > #
    > # look for the "Beep" setting, and ensure that it isn't muted and
    > # that the volume isn't set too low
    >
    > - Steven

    Went through your above suggestions in the exact order you presented and
    now the bell works as advertized. Thanks for sticking with me on
    this one.

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread